Which hair piece company sells the best units now?

zen123

Reaction score
I've been wearing a hair piece for about 3 months. The density of first stock unit I bought was way, way too thick, had major red tones, and didn't look natural at all. I bought the second stock unit from a different company and while the color and density were better, it shed fairly rapidly even though I thought I did all the right things to prevent shedding. I have since learned that the rapid shedding might have been from poor construction, but it also might have been from a leave-in conditioner that got too close to the base.

I'm now looking at a few different companies who sell hair pieces online: Hairpiece Warehouse, Toplace, HatsOffHair and CoolPiece. I would like to hear from anyone who has bought from these companies or others who have had good or not so good experiences.

If you work for or own a hair company, please don't respond, covertly pumping up your business or criticizing your competition. It's usually fairly obvious and will just cause me to avoid your company.

txborn668

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the hairpiece world myself. I've had good luck with Hairpiece Warehouse. Reasonably priced lots of options. Just had one cut in by my hair dresser and he was so excited when cutting it and he kept forgetting that it wasn't my real hair. He's been cutting my hair for about 6 years now and he's seen all my hair loss. He just couldn't get over it.

zen123

Reaction score
I went with Hairpiece Warehouse

I ended up buying a swiss lace stock piece from Hairpiece Warehouse and am happy with it.

Compared to the other two places I've tried, it costs less, the color is MUCH more natural (ash, not reddish, gold or brassy), the density is not too thick (really, anyone over 25 should not be wearing a hair piece with a thicker density- it just doesn't look natural), there is no rapid shedding yet, and the hair is more flexible (it doesn't have what appeared to be some weird coating on it that made styling a longer haired piece very difficult). I will be purchasing again from them.

And no, I'm not associated in any way with any hair piece company.

titanjoe

Reaction score
I ordered my first ever unit from Hats Off Hair, and have been waiting for nine weeks. The contact Bob only tells me he's waiting for a shipment date from the factory. So no product and no answer - very frustrating. It feels like my order either slipped through the cracks, or they just took my money.

zen123

Reaction score
I ordered my first ever unit from Hats Off Hair, and have been waiting for nine weeks. The contact Bob only tells me he's waiting for a shipment date from the factory. So no product and no answer - very frustrating. It feels like my order either slipped through the cracks, or they just took my money.

Please let us know how you like the unit after you receive it. I'm considering that company for a future unit, but I'm ordering another unit from Hair Piece Warehouse today. This time a custom, with a little less density, almost no wave, two similar colors, and French Lace (Swiss is too delicate for me).

Noah

Reaction score
I've had really good units and a nice customer experience from NorthWest Lace. I also like John at Toplace.

baller88

Reaction score
They're all bad & good because of the nature of the products and the ordering & manufacturing process. You might get excellent units from say Toplace for a while and then one day receive something that looks half-baked. I once ordered from Hair Direct and got the worst HS ever, but I know someone that has the most realistic hairline I've ever seen and he said that it's actually from HD! In other words, nobody sells the best units.

titanjoe

Reaction score
Just an update: After 12 weeks, still no product from Hats off hair, and still I cannot get any shipment information. I shelled out $365 and can't even get a poor product. This is pathetic!

baller88

Reaction score
Just an update: After 12 weeks, still no product from Hats off hair, and still I cannot get any shipment information. I shelled out $365 and can't even get a poor product. This is pathetic!

Their website says "copyright 2005-2010" with little information and seems very unprofessional — are you sure there was someone on their end that actually knows of your order. Seems either a little scammy or HOH is owned by a guy thats stopped checking mails.

I hope you used a credit card to pay, in which case contact them to reverse your money. I can see they use paypal checkout which may invalidate your credit card rights in which case I would contact Paypal.

Noah

Reaction score
Titanjoe

he owner of Hatsoffhair is a regular poster at another of these forums under the name "Beemark". I won't annoy the mods by giving the link, but I'm sure you can find it if you google him. You might think of applying some public pressure. Good luck.

Noah

]

zen123

Reaction score
They're all bad & good because of the nature of the products and the ordering & manufacturing process. You might get excellent units from say Toplace for a while and then one day receive something that looks half-baked. I once ordered from Hair Direct and got the worst HS ever, but I know someone that has the most realistic hairline I've ever seen and he said that it's actually from HD! In other words, nobody sells the best units.

So far that's not been my experience, but I've only ordered three from one place (all too dense and had brassy/red tones), two from another place (same), and two from the most recent (both were good).

Too bad it's not easy for experienced wearers to order exactly what they want directly from a manufacturer and actually get, it with no games or surprises. Or is it? I once searched for manufacturers and there were way too many to choose from and none of the web sites I found seemed set up to deal directly with the consumer.

baller88

Reaction score
So far that's not been my experience, but I've only ordered three from one place (all too dense and had brassy/red tones), two from another place (same), and two from the most recent (both were good).

Too bad it's not easy for experienced wearers to order exactly what they want directly from a manufacturer and actually get, it with no games or surprises. Or is it? I once searched for manufacturers and there were way too many to choose from and none of the web sites I found seemed set up to deal directly with the consumer.

They make them slightly too dense in order to make up for the shedding that will occur later. If they made them of perfect density then customers would stop ordering after complaining that the system only lasts a month.

After ordering 7-8+ you may notice, like myself, the changes in quality from the same supplier.

No real manufacturer on an industrial scale ever really deals directly with the consumer because the pricing would have to be similar to retail to cover extra costs, and that retailers will stop buying from you when they find out that your selling direct — making an object is easier than selling it so that's the last thing they will want.

zen123

Reaction score
They make them slightly too dense in order to make up for the shedding that will occur later. If they made them of perfect density then customers would stop ordering after complaining that the system only lasts a month."

"No real manufacturer on an industrial scale ever really deals directly with the consumer because the pricing would have to be similar to retail to cover extra costs, and that retailers will stop buying from you when they find out that your selling direct — making an object is easier than selling it so that's the last thing they will want.

That is what one of the retailers told me about density. I learned later and a piece with quality construction should not shed rapidly. I'm now buying from a retailer who sells stock pieces that are not too dense and do not shed rapidly.

Slightly too dense? Most of the stock pieces I've seen are way too dense. No one over the age of 25 has that much hair. Not realistic.

Are you a retailer?

xtacyheritage

Reaction score

I have been buying from Bob from HatsOffHair for almost two years now. Never had a problem until now. I bought probably my 7th system from him in August. After reading your post, Im a little worried now. I have contacted him via email in the past with almost an immediate reply. I emailed him a couple of days ago several times and still no reply. Did you receive your system yet? I am going to call him tomorrow to see whats going on. I hope he is not sick or worse. Also if he is on vacation, I would have hoped he would have informed his customers.

GreenFood

Reaction score
I have been buying from Bob from HatsOffHair for almost two years now. Never had a problem until now. I bought probably my 7th system from him in August. After reading your post, Im a little worried now. I have contacted him via email in the past with almost an immediate reply. I emailed him a couple of days ago several times and still no reply. Did you receive your system yet? I am going to call him tomorrow to see whats going on. I hope he is not sick or worse. Also if he is on vacation, I would have hoped he would have informed his customers.

This is my first time ordering with HatsOffHair. My template was sent out to the factory in August. On October 4th I asked for an update on the system, and Bob said he'd contact the factory and let me know. I haven't heard back from him since. I e-mailed him again two days ago, asking what the news was on that update I requested, and still no reply.
Bob was very quick at responding back when I first placed my order with him in August. Now he's gone completely quiet. This has me very troubled and worried. This does not bode well, especially since i'm a first time customer of his...

xtacyheritage

Reaction score
GreenFood. Who are you planning to order from now since Bob let us down at Hats Off Hair?

- - - Updated - - -

Same here titanjoe. I ordered in early August

ChrisPratty

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, this thread is old but introduced me to some nice suppliers. That said, a lot has changed since this thread was updated. Some wig suppliers mentioned here are no longer leading the market. Hair system manufacturers and suppliers have now started focusing on customer experience and value creation.
That's why hair suppliers now offer streamlined ordering process, buying guides, and ace after-sales support.
Companies like Hairpro and Lordhair have managed to earn the trusted of people struggling with chronic hair loss and age triggered balding. That said, ordering and buying wigs online is still a tricky business. I have seen too many first-timers complain out loud on Hairlosstalk threads about the complex process of ordering a hairpiece.
For those who are considering buying but don't have much info at hand, here is a nice resource meant to help first-time buyers with wig buying process.
https://www.slideshare.net/Lordhair_1/beginners-guide-to-buying-a-wig-lordhair
I hope this helps!

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For the past year and a half, I have been using superhairpieces.ca
They have a very good website where you can choose a stock piece with various types of bases, density.,etc..

My only issue was that I was ordering human hair which shed a lot. For the last 2 pieces, I have ordered grey synthetic 80% and unit do not shed...