What's next if Propecia not working

massa

Banned
Reaction score
Okay so it's been 8 months on finasteride and in that time I've seen my hair continue to miniaturise and fall at a ridiculous rate. This could be a 'shed' but it's never ending and my hairline is no more :( , I don't want to ever give up this fight and I can't wait another 4 months just to make sure because the rate of this hair loss is ridiculous, I'm currently also taking topical spironolactone and minoxidil again with zero results. I feel like my hair loss is obviously quite aggressive and the propecia just isn't helping my situation and I'm running out of time to fix this! If finasteride has given me terrible results would the results from dutasteride be the same ?? I desperately need a hairline ! I've gone from moderately attractive to hideously ugly in the space of a year ! Will dutasteride save me?

EvilLocks

Reaction score
Hi! First of all sad to hear you are (also) the victim of aggressive hair loss. "They" say you need to give finasteride at least a year to see results, some have even reported results after 2 years. That said, sometimes the balding gene is just too aggressive for finasteride or other hair loss treatments to work. You could always try dutasteride which is stronger and inhibits more DHT but there is no guarantee it will work. Sadly some people do not respond as well to any treatment... Lastly, and I don't wanna scare U, but some people get the "reverse" effect of finasteride where their hair loss actually speeds up on medication. This is relatively rare though. Do you feel your hair loss has sped up after starting finasteride or just continued at the same pace? Also I ask "everyone" with aggressive hair loss (for my own research), have you got scalp pain - and can you describe what it feels like?

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Did you try topical ru while taking dutasteride?

The best hairlosstreatment I know of is:

Ru
dutasteride
minoxidil
ketoconazol

Reaction score
For some people finasteride and dutasteride doesn't work.

Because hair follicules are senstive to free Testosterone and DHT in this people. Not only DHT sensitive follicules..Their hair follicules are sensitive to free testosterone.

And for this special people, finasteride or dutasteride doesn't work..

massa

Banned
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't have thought I had aggressive hair loss if you asked me before I took finasteride. Since feb ive noticed hair loss increase everytime I shampoo or pull on my hair it all falls out... like a shed but this has gone on for 7, 8 months non stop and in that time my frontal hair has been destroyed!!!! Its so embarrassing... People on here say "ride out the sheds" your hair will return thicker but im seeing no improvement and constant hair fall so much so I have to rely on toppik if I want to leave the house !! I would give anything to just have the hair I had the day I took my first propecia in February at least then I could hide the fact my hair was thinning . Im thinking of ordering some dutasteride as well cos I wanna get rid of all this DHT. In terms of pain not really a pain, but I do definitely get a severe itch in my temples and at the front and also at my crown but it could just be all the topicals im applying.

- - - Updated - - -

well Im not on dutasteride yet just finasteride, minoxidil and spironolactone & regenepure keta but I have thought of RU but the problem is I'm no chemist and the thought of having to brew my own.... I just don't understand it all plus ive seen the price as well. If there was somewhere that could make them in a can like Rogaine foam then I would definitely try that...

- - - Updated - - -

I would love Dr Proctor or Spex to reply to me and answer whether its true that finasteride could actually increase hair loss especially in the front because in my case my hair at the back and mid scalp seems ok (not that they were a problem to begin with) but my frontal loss has seemed to worsen (the area I wanted to treat) since I took finasteride...

theonelink

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't have thought I had aggressive hair loss if you asked me before I took finasteride. Since feb ive noticed hair loss increase everytime I shampoo or pull on my hair it all falls out... like a shed but this has gone on for 7, 8 months non stop and in that time my frontal hair has been destroyed!!!! Its so embarrassing... People on here say "ride out the sheds" your hair will return thicker but im seeing no improvement and constant hair fall so much so I have to rely on toppik if I want to leave the house !! I would give anything to just have the hair I had the day I took my first propecia in February at least then I could hide the fact my hair was thinning . Im thinking of ordering some dutasteride as well cos I wanna get rid of all this DHT. In terms of pain not really a pain, but I do definitely get a severe itch in my temples and at the front and also at my crown but it could just be all the topicals im applying.

- - - Updated - - -

well Im not on dutasteride yet just finasteride, minoxidil and spironolactone & regenepure keta but I have thought of RU but the problem is I'm no chemist and the thought of having to brew my own.... I just don't understand it all plus ive seen the price as well. If there was somewhere that could make them in a can like Rogaine foam then I would definitely try that...

- - - Updated - - -

I would love Dr Proctor or Spex to reply to me and answer whether its true that finasteride could actually increase hair loss especially in the front because in my case my hair at the back and mid scalp seems ok (not that they were a problem to begin with) but my frontal loss has seemed to worsen (the area I wanted to treat) since I took finasteride...

i shed continuously for 8 months then it just stopped one day. no more hairs in hands when shampoing or anything. starting month 11 on propecia now and hairline is regrowing

massa

Banned
Reaction score
i shed continuously for 8 months then it just stopped one day. no more hairs in hands when shampoing or anything. starting month 11 on propecia now and hairline is regrowing

Thanks that gives me some heart, hopefully it will come good in the future. I hate having to rely on Toppik!!!

Wrong Dong

My Regimen
Reaction score
A year or so back I made the mistake of half-assing a regimen of minoxidil. I used it nightly for about 3 weeks, got terrible sheds and stopped it. Researched it, learned that minoxidil can cause intense shedding when beginning it. Felt I lost a lot of unnecessary ground from that.
Saw your post mentioned that you have been on minoxidil more than once. Just a thought.

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
A year or so back I made the mistake of half-assing a regimen of minoxidil. I used it nightly for about 3 weeks, got terrible sheds and stopped it. Researched it, learned that minoxidil can cause intense shedding when beginning it. Felt I lost a lot of unnecessary ground from that.
Saw your post mentioned that you have been on minoxidil more than once. Just a thought.

Good point, as a long time Min user, stopping and starting is one of the worst things you can do for your hair.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In case that finasteride is actually not working, you still have some options.
You can add Ru58441, Dutasteride, Progesterone or Estradiol (E2). Several users who could not maintain on finasteride managed to maintain on a combination of those. Of course each user has their own unproven theory why it helped them.

I would start by adding ru and ket to your regimen. If you can make your morning shake, you can mix a ru solution.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ru+58441+guide
Basically
1. get a milligram scale (Amazon),
2. measure eg. 500 milligram ru,
3. put it in a brown glass bottle (Amazon),
4. add 7-8 ml Everclear and 2-3 ml Prophylenglycoleum (Lotioncrafter) and
5. store it in a dark environment.
6. Put 1 ml a day on your head, which would be 50mg Ru or 5%.
7. Using a 1ml syringe with a blunt needle

This would be the least dangerous step. All the other substances require a lot of research and regular homone level tests.
BUT really after eight months nothing is lost. Some people stopped shedding on finasteride after one year and saw a lot of improvement in the second year.

Would you guys agree? Ru is a chemical with untested purity, but for me the heavy hormonal axis seems to be more dangerous.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In case that finasteride is actually not working, you still have some options.
You can add Ru58441, Dutasteride, Progesterone or Estradiol (E2). Several users who could not maintain on finasteride managed to maintain on a combination of those. Of course each user has their own unproven theory why it helped them.
This would be the least dangerous step. All the other substances require a lot of research and regular homone level tests.
BUT really after eight months nothing is lost. Some people stopped shedding on finasteride after one year and saw a lot of improvement in the second year.
Would you guys agree? Ru is a chemical with untested purity, but for me the heavy hormonal axis seems to be more dangerous.

I tend to agree. It's disheartening that something seems to work positively for many, yet appears to do you no favours..but I guess you've come this far, why not continue until 12 months is up?
Given that RU works from a slightly different angle, I also think it's worth a try. I was also hesitant in taking it on/making my own mixture etc, but once you get started it just falls into your routine, and you get comfortable mixing it up. Almost 3 months into RU for me and there appears to be no shedding...all I can do is persevere.

Last edited:

zetta98

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm new here and this is my first post so please bear with me. I've been on rogaine for a year and half now and dutasteride for 11 months. Unfortunately even though rogaine worked wonders, at the 6th month mark I decided to add dutasteride which was last October. I had a terrible shed in febraurary then another over the summer. The hairs for the most part grew back but not all. In fact I have receding quite noticibly since I began dutasteride. Am I dishearten that it didn't even stabilize my HairLoss? A little. But there's nothing I can do really. Personally I believe you should give it a year from your first shed and not when you first start the drug. Just my two cents so I'm going to continue taking it either way until at least February. Sorry if my story discourages you but thought I still share it. Oh and my full regimen included: dutasteride (got it from the link on this site) rogaine, onion juice (bad smell but high in sulfur and great for hair and scalp) vitamins/antioxidants, nizoral shampoo, and derma rolling. I also tried s5 cream with no results so stopped that. Wasn't worth the extra $$