What will happen if I STOP Finasteride after 14 yrs on it

Keaphare

Reaction score
Been on Finasteride since 1998. Kept most of my hair apart from slow receding hair line. All males in my family at my age are completly bald. However, I've developed severe dry eyes in 2007 and only recently seen research to show Finasteride could have been the cause. So I took a 6 month break from Finasteride for the first time in all these years. Having recently re-commenced Finasteride one month ago, my eyes are worse than ever!! I believe during the 6 months I was off Finasteride my eyes improved, but my hairline receded more and more scalp was showing on forehead (never had that before). It's a catch 22.

My question is, if I stop finasteride permanently, is it possible to keep my hair with topical lotions? I have Clive Clinics Kanko Stimulant (containing Azelaic acid, Takanal, Zinc, B6) and Minoxidil. What else could I use? Some of the members here are using other products I've never heard about such as RU ?? ... I'm also looking into getting long term laser treatment along with the topicals if I stop Finasteride. But I am worried.

Any advice?

Wrathofkala

Reaction score
Been on Finasteride since 1998. Kept most of my hair apart from slow receding hair line. All males in my family at my age are completly bald. However, I've developed severe dry eyes in 2007 and only recently seen research to show Finasteride could have been the cause. So I took a 6 month break from Finasteride for the first time in all these years. Having recently re-commenced Finasteride one month ago, my eyes are worse than ever!! I believe during the 6 months I was off Finasteride my eyes improved, but my hairline receded more and more scalp was showing on forehead (never had that before). It's a catch 22.

My question is, if I stop finasteride permanently, is it possible to keep my hair with topical lotions? I have Clive Clinics Kanko Stimulant (containing Azelaic acid, Takanal, Zinc, B6) and Minoxidil. What else could I use? Some of the members here are using other products I've never heard about such as RU ?? ... I'm also looking into getting long term laser treatment along with the topicals if I stop Finasteride. But I am worried.

Any advice?

Honestly, I would say going off of the finasteride would cause you to slowly lose your hair. Even with the use of topicals. I know from firsthand that this will happen. I went off for 1- year and now I am in deep trouble with my hair. Anyway, I recommend reducing your dose if anything. That is of course dependent upon how much your hair means to you. That being said, if you do decide to go off and see yourself losing hair I would shave it and just accept it. Otherwise you're going to drive yourself nuts trying to fight a losing battle. Just my 2 cents -- good luck either way and keep your head up -- we all know how you feel.

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
if u stop finasteride and start minoxidil, this will happen. at the moment a certain amount of ur hair is dependant on no dHT, this hair will fall out within a yr of stopping it. if u start minoxidil, now this will create minoxidil dependants hairs, which may grow at the same time as the finasteride dependant hairs are falling out giving the appearance of normality, but it all depends on timing. generally minoxidil dependant hairs are thinner than normal. but male pattern baldness will certainly accelerate once u stop the finasteride.

u thought about reducing the dose? to .5 or even .25 mg a day?

Keaphare

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the responses. It wasn't quiet what I was hoping for, but I'm glad I've recommenced finasteride now (after 6 months) than stretching it out to one year.

With all the strong advertising on topical DHT inhibitors, and lasers, one would think that we could survive without finasteride. With regards to minoxidil, I've seen a site that classed it as a DHT inhibitor.

Yes, I've certainly had some level of low libido and ED with finasteride but I've also taken antidepressants which contributes to it too. Interestingly, I tested my DHT levels before stopping finasteride and again one month after cessation and the levels were very similar. Testosterone was on the lower end of normal too so I've been given something to raise the T levels.

I'm damned if I stay on finasteride and damned if I don't. New therapies for dry eyes include "Testosterone drops", which apparently has been working for many people. So androgens play a role in the tear and lipid functions of our eyes. I'm trying to get hold of these eye drops - they are not widely available as yet. DHT is also not a useless hormone that we don't need I believe it plays an important role in our bodies, so I don't like taking finasteride. But I doubt we'll see an effective alternative to finasteride in our lifetimes. Stem cell cures won't occur in our lifetime!!

I've considered reducing the dose of finasteride, but worried it'll cause thinning.

I'll never understand why some guys don't care less if they lose their hair, whilst others (like myself) are very sensitive about it. I discussed it with a friend today and we decided some of us associate our hair with our own image, and without it we lose apart of ourselves.

Keaphare

Reaction score
Stop finasteride and jump on Dutasteride :) - stopping either drug results in loss of hair 6-12months

I'd expect more side effects with Dutasteride. You may not have had any side effect "yet" on it, but in the future when long term exposure to it, you may experience serious side effects. When I started on Finasteride, in 1998, the internet had just come out and I didn't have a connection to it then, nor were the side effects of androgen inhibitors known. If I knew then, what I know now, I wouldn't have started on it.

I was reading about another member on here who refuses to use finasteride. and is staying with topicals (Mr.Bastard), he is forward thinking.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
don't forget a lot of people use Propecia and don't get side effects but you rarely hear from them on boards like this because they're too busy enjoying their life with a full-ish head of hair.

if you've managed to keep most of your hair for 14 years on Propecia, that's quite an achievement, and is a testament that the drug works

TheEscapist

Established Member
Reaction score
don't forget a lot of people use Propecia and don't get side effects but you rarely hear from them on boards like this because they're too busy enjoying their life with a full-ish head of hair.

if you've managed to keep most of your hair for 14 years on Propecia, that's quite an achievement, and is a testament that the drug works
I'm starting to feel like there isn't anyone who hasn't gotten side effects. Even my dermatologist said he would say around 40% of his patients report some side effects, which is much higher than listed on Propecia's site.

I feel like the ones who say they haven't gotten any side effects are just the ones who aren't attentive to their bodily changes. I mean, people say advil or tylenol will make you drowsy, and it very well may be that you notice a tiredness on them, but the average person never really cares enough to gauge the level of tiredness brought on by the pill. Its similar I think, in that though these people probably do get side effects, they probably just aren't really vigilant of whats happening. I mean, who the hell monitors their semen quantity, or their number of sexual thoughts? Its just not something most people think about.

But honestly, how can a 70% decrease in a naturally produced bodily hormone that exists in the blood and in major tissue areas NOT cause effects on the body? Its just not possible. I think to "get" or "not get" side effects is inaccurate. I think the real issue is to notice or not notice the side effects you will have on the drug.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm starting to feel like there isn't anyone who hasn't gotten side effects. Even my dermatologist said he would say around 40% of his patients report some side effects, which is much higher than listed on Propecia's site.

I feel like the ones who say they haven't gotten any side effects are just the ones who aren't attentive to their bodily changes. I mean, people say advil or tylenol will make you drowsy, and it very well may be that you notice a tiredness on them, but the average person never really cares enough to gauge the level of tiredness brought on by the pill. Its similar I think, in that though these people probably do get side effects, they probably just aren't really vigilant of whats happening. I mean, who the hell monitors their semen quantity, or their number of sexual thoughts? Its just not something most people think about.

But honestly, how can a 70% decrease in a naturally produced bodily hormone that exists in the blood and in major tissue areas NOT cause effects on the body? Its just not possible. I think to "get" or "not get" side effects is inaccurate. I think the real issue is to notice or not notice the side effects you will have on the drug.

That underlined part is absolute nonsense, the dermatologist I got my script off has been taking it for years now, he's being writing rx for it for years also. The drug, Proscar, has been on the market for 21 years, it's safety profile has been documented in multiple trials. It's unfortunate a rare few get serious side effects, but every drug on the market has rare, adverse effects.

abcdefg

Reaction score

I think its arguable though that a lot of people report problems that were never the cause of the propecia so it goes both ways which is why they do studies because people are really bad at attributing changes from say aging to a drug.
The pseudo herms are a biological mode of people without that same 5 ar 2 enzyme so they have no DHT in tissues and live normal lives although its arguable 5 ar 2 is the only difference between us and them.

TheEscapist

Established Member
Reaction score
That underlined part is absolute nonsense, the dermatologist I got my script off has been taking it for years now, he's being writing rx for it for years also. The drug, Proscar, has been on the market for 21 years, it's safety profile has been documented in multiple trials. It's unfortunate a rare few get serious side effects, but every drug on the market has rare, adverse effects.
What I'm saying is, it appears biologically impossible for someone to lose 70% of a hormone that has MANY natural effects in the body, to somehow not have any of those bodily effects cease or be impaired by the loss of the hormone responsible for them. It just doesn't seem possible. The drug MUST effect other things in the body. Whether those effects are noticeable to you or not, they MUST happen if the drug is doing what it does. Whether the effects are molecular only and don't come up on your conscious radar, or if they alter your brain chemistry in a noticeable away, they are still happening.

Keaphare

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the genetic studies. Guys who don't lose their hair may still have DHT, has anyone ever tested their levels? It could be the 5 alpha reductase receptors in hair loss areas are not as receptive to it (like hair at the back of the neck). So it could be they have normal DHT levels, but insenstive 5 alpha reductase receptors. I've read studies where DHT is a necessary hormone in the body and is responsible for semen quality and production, erections, lacrimal and lipid secretions in the eyes, etc.

So after giving finasteride a break for 6 months after being on it consistantly for 14 yrs I slowly got morning woods back, libido picked up, sleeping improved and general motivation and and energy increased. Having re-commenced finasteride over the last 3 weeks, morning wood is absent, energy and motivation decreased, have had to use sleeping meds, libido down again and nervous about sex because "it" won't rise to the occasion. The other thing I didn't mention is the whole time I've been on finasteride, my dick has felt numb and always needed more stimulation to feel anything. That numbness did not return during the 6 month break from finasteride.

I'm curious if finasteride shrinks a "normal" sized prostate? I've seen studies on pubmed where it does and possibly causes atrophy of cells in the prostate. May-be the prostatic and other cell death is why sides continue upon cessation of finasteride. For those who quit finasteride and boast they got all their mojo and back, perhaps they weren't on it long enough to cause damage.

I am still taking finasteride. but crinch everytime I put it in my mouth. But yes, my hair does mean a lot to me. It's crazy, sacrificing health to "keep hair".

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the genetic studies. Guys who don't lose their hair may still have DHT, has anyone ever tested their levels? It could be the 5 alpha reductase receptors in hair loss areas are not as receptive to it (like hair at the back of the neck). So it could be they have normal DHT levels, but insenstive 5 alpha reductase receptors. I've read studies where DHT is a necessary hormone in the body and is responsible for semen quality and production, erections, lacrimal and lipid secretions in the eyes, etc.

So after giving finasteride a break for 6 months after being on it consistantly for 14 yrs I slowly got morning woods back, libido picked up, sleeping improved and general motivation and and energy increased. Having re-commenced finasteride over the last 3 weeks, morning wood is absent, energy and motivation decreased, have had to use sleeping meds, libido down again and nervous about sex because "it" won't rise to the occasion. The other thing I didn't mention is the whole time I've been on finasteride, my dick has felt numb and always needed more stimulation to feel anything. That numbness did not return during the 6 month break from finasteride.

I'm curious if finasteride shrinks a "normal" sized prostate? I've seen studies on pubmed where it does and possibly causes atrophy of cells in the prostate. May-be the prostatic and other cell death is why sides continue upon cessation of finasteride. For those who quit finasteride and boast they got all their mojo and back, perhaps they weren't on it long enough to cause damage.

I am still taking finasteride. but crinch everytime I put it in my mouth. But yes, my hair does mean a lot to me. It's crazy, sacrificing health to "keep hair".

Have you ever though as you aged, it's possible for that to effect your libido and/or morning erections? You have been on the drug for 14 years, so obviously as you get older you'll find you won't be as springy as you were in your 20's.

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, it sounds like u are an obvious responder to finasteride and like another poster said ur results are perhaps a "testament to how effective the drug can be" that being said who exactly is making your finasteride pills? As i had advised another poster who was considering dropping finasteride from his regimen: if u arent using Merck Proscar brand finasteride, please consider it before u quit. I strongly advocate the use of this as not only being more effective than generics at slowing hairloss but also a reduction in the chance of side effects.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yes he is right of course DHT has other functions and sexual sides are documented and known so of course its possible you got them. Whether you have sides or not its more about are you willing to deal with them to keep your hair because it arguable that is still the best thing right now so its either go bald or deal with it for now.

Keaphare

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the great info. Bigjohnson, yes I did read your post to another member about generic finasteride. I am using a brand called "Finasta" from Sandoz. I recall using Merck Proscar though, may-be that's why I was still slowly receding at the hairline despite being on finasteride...it was a generic?? I will get a new script tomorrow and obtain the Merck Proscar. I know pharmacists say generics are the same ingredient, but the public are the best judge and know they can feel the difference.

Yes, it's true age has a lot to do with lowered libido. I'm onto that, and recently taking Testosterone every other day (and will definately need finasteride if on Testosterone).

I still believe the drug has contributed to sides. I've decided to work on the sides and stay on the drug. A small hair transplant would do nicely to recover the hairline, but covering it with the longer hair behind is doing the job for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Reaction score
Maybe try a PGD2 blocker, ive been on iron dragon pgd2 blocker for about 2/3 weeks and have noticed shedding decreased by 80/90%...

Only side effect has been a headache and slight drowsiness (not nearly as bad as CET (zyrtec)....

Interested to see how this reacts with people who are on or were on Propecia....

i would try something like this before i start ****ing with Propecia again....

Keaphare

Reaction score
Shadow you're hair is improving, and that is great. But we are talking about longer term use, perhaps 2 yrs or more. I've suffer from severe dry eyes and I'm sure finasteride. contributed to it and so do the studies in pubmed whom discovered androgen blockers affect the tear film and meibomian glands in the eye lids.

I knew long ago I wouldn't use Dutasteride due to it possibly causing more problems since it's blocking both 5 alpha reductase receptors one and two.

- - - Updated - - -

A process called negative autoregulation.

Can you please be more precise with the loose term of "negative autoregulation"? ... does finasteride shrink and cause kill cells in a normal sized prostate? ... that's all I'm asking.

- - - Updated - - -

i have take Dutasterid my eys was the Horror
much worser as from Finasterid

Hi Timi, are you still using finasteride? what was wrong with your eyes and have they now recovered?

Going2beBald?

Established Member
Reaction score
The thing is that each person is an individual so each body will handle the dht suppression differently, some better than others.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Timi, do i remember right if you posted pictures of your eyes once? Can you find them again in Setting - > Misc. - > Attatchments and post here? Thanks