What percent of men are gay and women lesbians?

tembo

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems like if it wasn't taboo, quite lot of men will admit to being gay. And it seems like even more women would be lesbians or bisexual if given the opportunity and encouragement.

I tend to think that gay men are that way because of their genes. However, a lot of lesbians can become so irrespective of genes.

Anyway, can anyone cite statistics or gay men, gay women, and bisexual men and women percentages?

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
tembo said:
It seems like if it wasn't taboo, quite lot of men will admit to being gay. And it seems like even more women would be lesbians or bisexual if given the opportunity and encouragement.

I tend to think that gay men are that way because of their genes. However, a lot of lesbians can become so irrespective of genes.

Anyway, can anyone cite statistics or gay men, gay women, and bisexual men and women percentages?

This is such a tricky thing to measure. I would imagine the term "gay" and "lesbian" themselves are problematic. For example, I recently came across a phrase "men who have sex with men" and "women who have sex with women" but are not necessarily homosexual, or bisexual, but would probably say they were. Some people are GENERALLY open minded about sex, and will try many things, thus seeming to be bisexual. How do we define gay? I would define it not as a man who is attracted to some other men, but as a man who CANNOT feel attraction towards a female, and of course, vice versa, no matter how high their sex drive is (although this excludes drunken/intoxicated encounters which tampers with the default neurological state).

Infact, I would go as far as to say that attraction towards the opposite gender would need to be in the league of attraction towards siblings or other family members, ie. revulsion and natural 'disgust'. The truly homosexual/bisexual has to be neurologically homosexual/bisexual. Not an open minded occassional experimenter. I would guess that number will probably be a single digit percentage. I would guess that individuals of both genders who would be open to sexual experiences with the same gender would be much higher, higher than those willing to admit it (as some deny it probably) probably over 20% anyway. Men are less likely than women to admit bisexual tendencies simply because of the 'alpha-male' stereotype, and having sex with a man is what women do, and alpha males are not women, so therefore, "I will most definitly not even think about it!" type attitude.

Until there is a concrete way of identifying "true" homosexuality/bisexuality, any statistics would be premature and tentative. For example, I class myself as heterosexual, and probably a mild alpha male, thus would as a reflex deny any same-sex thoughts or desires I may or may not have. But I know I have thought about it, out of curiosity, and would not be ashamed or disgusted with myself if I ever pursued it beyond a thought. In fact, I used to feel a kind of neurosis about it, like a conflict. But sexual matters are really not that complicated. You get horny, you want to experience it with someone, so you do, (or you think about it :jackit:).

A mind-experiment for you all :mrgreen: Which of the following two if you had to choose, would you get it on with for a night.

610x.jpg

These three transvestites. All are males.

four-babes1.jpg

Or these four chicks. All 100% female.

If you're 100% hetero, the second group of girls will be an automatic choice. If you KNOW the transvestites are males, but feel confused. Then simply knowing their gender is not enough for you to make a choice. How attractive they are to you is what matters. I simply chose those 3 coz we will all mostly be able to identify with that beauty, and what effect it has, despite knowing they're males.

The point is: Is 'KNOWING' for a fact they are males, enough to deter you? If not. Then your sexuality is not gender based as much as it's hormone based. You like femininity and are attracted to that characteristic, even if their biological gender is male. But does that make you homo/bi? Not really. The mind is after all wired in heterosexual men to identify women, and we will probably not be able to help feel attracted to the transvestites. But reverse the situation, imagine you found masculine females very attractive? Does that mean males who also fit that profile would also be attractive? Tough one. Is being gay attraction to masculinity/feminity? Some lesbian couples would appear to promote that view.

I think it's not as simple as a sexual 'spectrum' of one end being attraction to girly females and the other end manly guys. There's probably several spectrums, each of us at a particular point on it. They take into account gender, femininity-masculinity, youth-maturity, various physical shape spectrums, social spectrums etc. All quite confusing, the human mind caters to very varying neurotypes among us all, and few areas of human endeavour evidence this more strongly than sexuality.

ali777

Reaction score
Some data I've seen suggest that 5-6% of the population are homosexuals, and upto 10% or so admit to experimenting....

PS: It looks like Hammy has very strong feelings towards gay men :gay:

CCS

Reaction score
30% of college women kiss other women in public to arrouse the men, or to experiment.

Conservative estimates for male gays: 3-6%. Liberal estimates: 16%. It is hard to trust any of this data since it is based on what people say in surveys, and we don't know their motives. Maybe a straight will say in an annonymous servey that he is gay, just to increase the count. Maybe a gay will not, because he is afraid the survey is not secret.

Regardless, gays will get a lot more rejections from men than bald men get from women. Their best bet is online matching.

ali777

Reaction score
I'm gonna quote a few numbers from The Observer. The Observer is basically the British newspaper The Guardian on Sundays.

Q: How would you define your sexuality?
Heterosexual: 92%
Homosexual: 4%
Bisexual: 2%
Don't know: 2%

Q: Have you ever had any sexual contact with someone of the same sex?
Yes: 13% (16% for women and 10% for men)
No: 87%

The same question for 16-24 year olds:
Yes: 23%

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't wait until the day comes when no one cares about what percentage of men and women are gay.

Hammy, how the hell do you know so much about this? Did you study it?

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
Some data I've seen suggest that 5-6% of the population are homosexuals, and upto 10% or so admit to experimenting....

PS: It looks like Hammy has very strong feelings towards gay men :gay:

I actually don't. I'm a hetero but not an extremist not-gay-*** u-I ain't a f** type of hetero. As in I wouldn't be ASHAMED of it or think of it as a bad thing really. To each his own.

Hammy, how the hell do you know so much about this? Did you study it?

No not really. I wasn't giving out information coz I myself don't know the full facts. I was theorizing on modern assumptions of homosexuality. I theorise a lot, don't mistake it for knowledge though.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Men are typically visual animals and as the saying goes if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck we'd F it
like duck. The fact that a transsexual was born male probably would not be a huge deal breaker
for a typical horny man if said transsexual had the right equipment and was hot enough, and if
said horny man was desperate enough. However, there is NO F-IN way most horny men would touch
those fat chicks... ever... for any reason. Just sayin.

ali777

Reaction score
casperz said:
Men are typically visual animals and as the saying goes if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck we'd F it
like duck. The fact that a transsexual was born male probably would not be a huge deal breaker
for a typical horny man if said transsexual had the right equipment and was hot enough, and if
said horny man was desperate enough. However, there is NO F-IN way most horny men would touch
those fat chicks... ever... for any reason. Just sayin.

I think we have to ask uncomfortable man here. He's the only one who openly admits to having such an experience with Ariel...

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I am a male lesbian.. yep

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a girlfriend in high school. We even had sex a couple of times. She was very sweet and we're still friends, but we really only had sex because I thought I was supposed to and I hadn't come out yet. Don't get me wrong, I love women, but I have nothing but admiration and respect for you guys who try to have romantic relationships with them. Not to mention sex with them. Blech.

ali777

Reaction score
squeegee said:
I am a male lesbian.. yep

I've been offered sex by a gay man :gay: What does that make me??? I think someone's gaydar must have been broken at the time?

Another time, I was in a gay bar, and someone tried to chat me up. I have to admit, this was my own fault, I shouldn't have been in a gay bar in the first place.

Do I find it offensive or flattering that gay men try to chat me up? Neither... I'm indifferent towards gay men.

Also, one of my housemates is gay... I envy how easy it is for gay men to get laid, there is always someone one click away.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
I envy how easy it is for gay men to get laid

I knew this guy at college and he was having sex with a different guy all the time...outside in bushes...public toilet...

However, this is an observation I have made, and clearly Ali has noticed by his comment...gay men have lots of sex with lots of different partners.

Anyway, Jaybear or anyone else who is gay, would you say gay men have lower standards when it comes to partners then straight men/women? Basically do you think they are sl*ts? Obviously not all gay men are. I am massively generalising here.

I know there are plenty of straight guys who are sl*ts, but almost every gay guy I have met seems to have had so many different partners.

Maybe it’s the ones I met...or they were lying.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think we have to ask uncomfortable man here. He's the only one who openly admits to having such an experience with Ariel...

Did I miss something? Who is Ariel?

Here is another scenario: a gun is at your head and there is no choice, you have to DO one of
the following. Who do you choose?

A. The hot transsexual
B. The fat chic
C. The other man

That's easy for me... A then B then C. I have no desire to do any of those, but my point is it's
all about what appears to be female for a heterosexual man. Option B and C don't come close.

BTW... I have nothing against gay men, just asking this from my point of view. I also agree that
every gay guy I've known seems to have a much easier time finding casual sex.

ali777

Reaction score
optimus prime said:
ali777 said:
I envy how easy it is for gay men to get laid

I knew this guy at college and he was having sex with a different guy all the time...outside in bushes...public toilet...

However, this is an observation I have made, and clearly Ali has noticed by his comment...gay men have lots of sex with lots of different partners.

Anyway, Jaybear or anyone else who is gay, would you say gay men have lower standards when it comes to partners then straight men/women? Basically do you think they are sl*ts? Obviously not all gay men are. I am massively generalising here.

I know there are plenty of straight guys who are sl*ts, but almost every gay guy I have met seems to have had so many different partners.

Maybe it’s the ones I met...or they were lying.

I told my gay housemate that I think gay men are very promiscuous. He initially said that wasn't true, etc..

Next day, he comes to me and says I was right in thinking gay men are promiscuous (??). I don't know what made him change his mind in such a short time. He said he's had sex with 4 or 5 different men in the last 12 months, 2 of them regular fook buddies.

Having 2 f*ckbuddies at the same time might be desirable by most hetero men, but it's almost impossible. Most of us can't even manage to find one girl to have recreational sex with.

ali777

Reaction score
casperz said:

Did I miss something? Who is Ariel?

Here is another scenario: a gun is at your head and there is no choice, you have to DO one of
the following. Who do you choose?

A. The hot transsexual
B. The fat chic
C. The other man

That's easy for me... A then B then C. I have no desire to do any of those, but my point is it's
all about what appears to be female for a heterosexual man. Option B and C don't come close.

BTW... I have nothing against gay men, just asking this from my point of view. I also agree that
every gay guy I've known seems to have a much easier time finding casual sex.

Ariel is UM's girlfriend :gay:

Definitely the fat chick... There is nothing wrong with the fat chicks, they are people with feelings and vaginas at the end of the day. I have had drunken sex with fat chicks (yes more than once) in my sleeping around days. It was a pleasurable experience that I wouldn't rule out again.

However, I wouldn't intentionally date one. For the last 2-3 years, I've been making an effort to look after my body. So, I expect the same from my date as well.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I live in one of the most gay cities in California, and I've kind of come full circle on my perceptions. When I first moved here, my initial perception that homosexuals had a very easily stereotypable profile was strongly reinforced. After time, I realized that to be completely incorrect... its about as difficult to stereotype a gay person as it is a heterosexual person.

I do, however, think that gay people have certain elements of a shared culture... but the degree to which they adhere to it can really vary widely. I've been quite surprised on occasion when discovering which of my neighbors have been gay, and which have been straight.

I don't necessarily think that gay men are more promiscuous... some are, but there are some that are not. I think a lot of that perception is due to gay males being able to talk more honestly and openly about sex, whereas heterosexuals usually need to sugar coat these discussions in layers of polite political correctness when partaking in them with female company.