What Is It Like To Live In The Us? Really Depressed Here In Germany

Apis1996

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Guys

I am 23 Years old and live in Germany.
I hate it.. I don't like Germans they are so cold and care only for themselves...On the other side we have so many Refugees here and they disrespect everything here.
I am Italian/Serbian Origin an feel like I am alone here.
I don't have many friends because I am so depressed and don't like their way of living life.
The only positive things in my life are watching American movies eat American food and so on..
I know I sound like a retard but this is the way it is.
I remember as a 12/13 year old I came home in the evening and watched American movies like collateral and comedy series like family guy, South park...
I really want to move to the USA..
But maybe it isn't like I think it will be..
Can you guys explain me how the life in the US is?
I really can't live here anymore..
Thanks

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi it really depends where you live in the USA? Some people love certain areas but hate others. Some move around til they have found their fit...and some of our refugees are troublesome as well. Some are great however. A lot of people here are caught up in race however. If you are lighter in complexion then there is a perception that you have it better then everyone else and that you did not earn it. And everything you say while talking about or to a minority will be over analyzed much of the time to see of there is any possible link to racism. For example, if you say "he is the black tom Brady (one of all time great football players) then many, especially uneducated, will look at you oddly or accuse you of being racist. But if you say he is the white michael jordan the it is considered a normal statement...that just how it is here . Here our minorities commit more crime then non minorities so unfortunately some good minorities can obtain a label in some parts of the country. And fyi those that are about to bash me I'm not here for political purposes nor am I racist. I have friends from many different cultures, skin color and backgrounds. You are entitled to your opinion of course and so am I. Either way hope all have a great day which means all peoples and genders.:)

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Americans are really shallow.

They ask "how are you doing" its not to actually hear about how you are, its just a polite sentence so they seem polite to others.

If you are struggling in Germany, my guess is, its going to be worse in USA, if you have no education of any documented skills, you are not better off.

I have friends that went to USA for some overseas work, and they aren't impressed with the way they work or their skill level at working. So if you have an education and can get a green card, then you certainly can blow most of the people out of the water in USA.

But remember they have a VERY predatory way to be. And networking is even more important. They will do what they can to get a promotion before you, no matter if they know how to do the work or not. And that is the more scary part about their entire work culture.

Even their education are not on same levels like those in EU, i also know many who took a semester in USA, and was really shocked about the educational level.

Its all about prestige for no matter what the cost are.

Scoobysnack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldnt take the above comment seriously. For example, "Americans are really shallow" shows ignorance.

As someone that was born in the US, lived in Russia for a few years and currently lives in the US I would note the following:

* More than any other country on the planet, the US is a "melting pot" culture. What this means is that no matter where you are from you can find somewhere in the US with lots of people that share your culture, history, language, etc. As long as you're not considering the central US or the South (Alabama, Mississippi, etc) then you can find any culture, which is a big plus.

* The US is very large and as a result can seem like several different countries depending on which part of the country you are in. The northeast is very different than the northwest. Southern California seems like a different planet compared to Arkansas. So blanket statements like "america is expensive" or "americans are shallow" or "americans are religious" etc etc... these dont apply. If you're in the south or central US (Iowa/Nebraska/Utah for example) religion pops up in day to day life, mainly christianity. However if you live around San Francisco, Seattle, New York you almost never have to deal with it.

I would caution against moving somewhere without local family or friends. It can be exciting or totally overwhelming moving to another country as a complete stranger. If you already have feelings of lonliness or depression in Germany then those feelings could become worse in a new place without existing contacts, friends or family. Some people can do it and some cant. Just depends on the person.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
You deal with sh*t there, you'll deal with diff sh*t here. Come for a long Vaca and see what you like. I'm in the Northeast just above NY and it sucks honestly. The comment about education and prestige? Prob right. Our lower level Ed system sucks. But that's not because of America or Americans but because we also had to start accommodating other people who immigrated or were even Americans who couldn't keep up. We need an Ed overhaul here. That being said we just came from Ireland and stayed right next to trinity college which supposed to be prestigious and talking to those students they aren't much better. Most were walking arrogant bricks.

I think we're still much freer speaking than other countries and that's nice. Hey come while Trump's president still, you'll have a good time lol.

Xenophon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A Med living in Germany, wondering why you don't fit in. I've known young Spanish girls to go work in Germany out of college and it was a living hell for many of them. Just a different soul between these two types of people. Since the US says 'f*** you' to all logic and anyone is welcome, especially the less traditionally American looking they are, I would say if you really don't vibe with the German vibe you'd fit in better in the US. Tends to be harder to move to a Western country if you're white though. TBH if you paint yourself in blackface, change your name to Mbubu and sign up to drive for Uber you'll probably get full citizenship, medicaid, and food stamps.

Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I hate to say this but social media destroyed the world. I have lived with it and and without and I can tell you the world was much better without it. No matter where you go, you will find that most people will care more about themselves than anyone else. Our world has become more narcissistic than ever. My suggestion is try to find people online who you can connect to and form some friendships with them. This forum has helped me find people like myself. Plenty of guys with BDD like myself that I can relate too. I think when you find people who are on the same wavelength as yourself you will feel more at home no matter where you live.

hailbrotzu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hate to say this but social media destroyed the world. I have lived with it and and without and I can tell you the world was much better without it. No matter where you go, you will find that most people will care more about themselves than anyone else. Our world has become more narcissistic than ever. My suggestion is try to find people online who you can connect to and form some friendships with them. This forum has helped me find people like myself. Plenty of guys with BDD like myself that I can relate too. I think when you find people who are on the same wavelength as yourself you will feel more at home no matter where you live.

This is absolutely ridiculous you say that social media ruined the world but you have found your best friends on a hairloss forum?? R u serious

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
As a German I understand your gripes with Germany and its people but I doubt that these exact things will be any better in the US. We basically imported their progressivism to are where we are now (sometimes even using the same lingo even though it doesn't make any sense in a German context) and as bad as it is now could be considered even more measured at that than them.
I recommend New Zealand instead.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
This is absolutely ridiculous you say that social media ruined the world but you have found your best friends on a hairloss forum?? R u serious
No, I found my best friends by total random events in real life situations and in school. But you made a great point. But sometimes social media can be a double edge sword.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
@Apis1996 I would not listen to the negativity about the US. Most people that live here and say it is sh*t are ignorant to how blessed they are and don’t realize the freedom they have just by being born here. That being said this country is what you make of it. If you like to go rock climbing I guarantee you will find the most down to earth people that love to do that. Or if you want to go to to graduate school the US has probably the best higher education at least in terms of a good experience. The problem many people have is they can’t handle the competitive nature of their jobs or lifestyle. If you don’t like networking maybe you shouldn’t be working in sales when you could be running a summer camp in the mountains. Or if you don’t like social media maybe you should not go on it like a lot of Americans who live enjoyable lives. The USA is the land of opportunity if that’s what your looking for I guarantee you will enjoy it here
I envy the young people who traveled the world by themselves and lived in different cities, states and countries and got jobs just to finance their life but got to experience the real world for themselves and then decide where the best place to live. I wish I had the guts and drive to do that when I was younger but I conformed to society and did what you were supposed to do and get a college education to become something. Now I could still do all that but I found happiness lies within myself. I create my thoughts and perspectives and if they are negative or false that is all on me.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, Germany is a story on its own. It's not really known for being hospitable, nobody really cares about you in Germany, you could literally be locked in your house for months and your neighbors wouldn't notice a thing. Ideally, you should have at least one good friend otherwise you risk becoming a miserable shut in heremit that only goes outside if strictly necessary. That's what happened to me at least.

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You want to move to US because you watched some cartoons? Come on dude...

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score

Truths.

Social media/the web/ the screen > < are changing us in ways we cannot even beggin to understand.

not for the better

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
The US is not what it used to be. Many are on edge here. If you look the wrong way or have a different political view, you are considered racist. People here use an agenda called blm and antifa to protect then so they can riot and steal. It's really sad. People of all races are killed at the hands of police here. It happens and sometines its criminal like on the part of the police. But if it happens to an African American, people go nuts and they ignore the rest of the story that plays a role in why the police turn to their guns at times. Fyi I am not racist by any means, but I'm also not naive and am not a sheep or agenda follower.

Scoobysnack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The US is not what it used to be. Many are on edge here. If you look the wrong way or have a different political view, you are considered racist. People here use an agenda called blm and antifa to protect then so they can riot and steal. It's really sad. People of all races are killed at the hands of police here. It happens and sometines its criminal like on the part of the police. But if it happens to an African American, people go nuts and they ignore the rest of the story that plays a role in why the police turn to their guns at times. Fyi I am not racist by any means, but I'm also not naive and am not a sheep or agenda follower.

and on top of it all we have a sociopathic con man in the White House who lost the vote by about 2 million.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
and on top of it all we have a sociopathic con man in the White House who lost the vote by about 2 million.

could have been worse, could have had a war mongering sociopath con woman in the white house who only won a popular vote (which thank god we dont use) in states known for letting dead people, illegals and household pets vote!

Scoobysnack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
could have been worse, could have had a war mongering sociopath con woman in the white house who only won a popular vote (which thank god we dont use) in states known for letting dead people, illegals and household pets vote!

hmm nothing you said is even remotely connected to reality, but we’ve known for a while that trump supporters’ entire existence depends on a disconnect from the truth.