Went to Doctor to get REAL Propecia.. Not 1.25 Ghetto finasteride.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so i made a post last week thinking about quiting all together based on high estrogen levels in my blood i received 2 years ago. I know 2 years is alot to decide to quit but it was brought upon by starting to work out again.
I dont want high Estrogen when im hitting the weights.

So anyhow when i made this post i think WED, the mod told me that cutting my 5mg pills to 1.25 was most likely the prob because of the higher dose. After reading his sounds advice i made a Doctor App to get a script for the real thing "1mg".

While i was there i made them draw blood to check my TES/ESTOGEN levels again which i will find out next monday what they are.

I have not taken anything since WED so maybe the levels are lower, who knows. Either way i am going to make then re check my blood after i am on Propecia for a couple months.

63 dollars a month hurts though for this stuff.

Any place online to get it cheaper by perscription?

Thanks any comments will be nice to hear.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
Lol one more thing,

This is a new Doctor in a new city so i had to explain to him how i was taking generic Finasteride in the 5mg form and cutting it into 1.25.

I then said i think the extra dosage is causing the higher estrogen.

Lol he says to me then, "Well steriods usaully do that"

I said steroids? He said yes, i then said no Doctor Finasteride not steroids.

He then asked what Finasteride was and i had to tell him it was the main ingredient in Propecia and Proscar.

So not only did he check my blood he had me take piss test, WTF did he have me do that for? you dont check Estrogen/test in urine do you?

I am thinking he is checking for steroid use as a cause for high estrogen.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hahahaha..... that cracked me up.... REAL propecia not *GHETTO* fina ... haha.... beautifully put!

HairLossTalk.com

alfonso2501

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Hahahaha..... that cracked me up.... REAL propecia not *GHETTO* fina ... haha.... beautifully put! HairLossTalk.com

+1 “Ghetto Finaâ€￾ I love it! :laugh: :icon_smile_lachuh: Never heard that one before! Good one.

Anywho, a lot of MDs don’t know much about the medication when it comes to male pattern baldness. They know about prostate disease & such but when it comes to male pattern baldness its: "fina-what? & Propecia-who?". Can’t blame them really, especially in this litigation society we live in. What matters more, life threatening health problems or male pattern baldness? I guess that’s why we’re all on this board! We learn about & take control of it ourselves.

luke77

Established Member
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I highly doubt that taking 1.25 mg rather than 1 mg caused your high estrogen levels. I would not pay for propecia if I was you. I can't answer your question about the estrogen levels but I believe some people take drugs like armidex to control their estrogen while on finasteride. If I was you I would try to find a new Doctor though if your Doctor didn't even know what finasteride was.

A

Administrator

Improvement in hair above 1mg is negligible. Increased incidence of side effects above 1mg is noticeable.

Side effects with Propecia *almost* always relate to high estrogen levels.

This is why we must continually remind people that the recommended dosage is 1mg.

Using yet another hormonal modulator like arimidex to counter the effects of estrogen is just plain bad judgment. If anything, just lower your finasteride dose if you're having side effects, or consider a topical antiandrogen regimen of spironolactone + Revivogen instead.

Admin

jarednz

Reaction score
I am still waiting to see my Dermatologist so I havn't seen a Propecia or Proscar pill. BUT, instead of overdosing to 1.25mg with 1/4 Proscar, what about underdosing to 0.625mg with 1/8 Proscar? I'm not sure how big the pill is so I don't even know if 1/8's would be possible.

What are the differences in the hair improvements between 1mg and 0.625mg?

I am going to start on Finasteride as soon as I get my prescription but I am worried about the sides (especially gyno and libido). I would like to avoid using Propecia because I am a student and the money is a big deal for me at the moment.

So how do people cut a pill into 1/5's accurately? I have seen pill cutters before, but they only cut in halves.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
jarednz said:
I am still waiting to see my Dermatologist so I havn't seen a Propecia or Proscar pill. BUT, instead of overdosing to 1.25mg with 1/4 Proscar, what about underdosing to 0.625mg with 1/8 Proscar? I'm not sure how big the pill is so I don't even know if 1/8's would be possible.

What are the differences in the hair improvements between 1mg and 0.625mg?

I am going to start on Finasteride as soon as I get my prescription but I am worried about the sides (especially gyno and libido). I would like to avoid using Propecia because I am a student and the money is a big deal for me at the moment.

So how do people cut a pill into 1/5's accurately? I have seen pill cutters before, but they only cut in halves.

I have tried that too but one thing you have to remember about pills, you have a 5mg Fina pill that isnt all Fina other components make the pill to give it its size and what not. For instance my 1mg Propecia pills are the same size as my 5MG generic Finasteride pills.
So lets say you cut that 5mg pill in half perfectly, one have might still have more then the other, so your body is always getting different amounts each day.

I think we need to be consistent and give our bodies the same dose everyday to minimize side effects.

fatman

Reaction score
can a dermatologist check testosterone and estrogen levels? im thinking about doing this and want to go to a dermatologist. thanks

luke77

Established Member
Reaction score
yaoming said:
can a dermatologist check testosterone and estrogen levels? im thinking about doing this and want to go to a dermatologist. thanks

He certainly can. Whether he will or not depends on the derm. I would try my best to "demand" that he test your test. and estrogen.

jarednz

Reaction score
tpeter said:
jarednz said:

I have tried that too but one thing you have to remember about pills, you have a 5mg Fina pill that isnt all Fina other components make the pill to give it its size and what not. For instance my 1mg Propecia pills are the same size as my 5MG generic Finasteride pills.
So lets say you cut that 5mg pill in half perfectly, one have might still have more then the other, so your body is always getting different amounts each day.

I think we need to be consistent and give our bodies the same dose everyday to minimize side effects.

I would assume that pills are made with finasteride + something else to make the size (glucose?). And the process to make them would mean that both of these chemicals are mixed into a liquid and then made into a pill. This would mean that there would be an even distribution of finasteride over the whole pill wouldn't it?

So if you managed to cut your pill perfectly into 1/5's it should have 1mg of finasteride in it.

But, how do you cut it perfectly into 1/5s?

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
jarednz said:
tpeter said:
jarednz said:

I would assume that pills are made with finasteride + something else to make the size (glucose?). And the process to make them would mean that both of these chemicals are mixed into a liquid and then made into a pill. This would mean that there would be an even distribution of finasteride over the whole pill wouldn't it?

So if you managed to cut your pill perfectly into 1/5's it should have 1mg of finasteride in it.

But, how do you cut it perfectly into 1/5s?

I just read in one of my Mens Health Mags that cutting pills is not good to do because the fact that the ingredients is not evenly distributed within the pill. Lets say it is though, try cutting that generic Fina pill in 1/5, its hard if not impossible to do each time.

fatman

Reaction score
i havent done this, but i can easily think of a way to cut it in 1/5 or 1/6 or 1/7 if you want. Just buy a weight scale that is fairly sensitive, like the ones i see in college chemistry lab. Weigh how much a 5mg finasteride pill is (most likely won't be 5mg btw), and then mash that pill up into fine powder. whatever you weighed the pill to be, just weigh 1/5th of it, and there you go. If you become a pro at this, you can mash a whole bunch of proscar into a bottle and then just everyday, weigh out how much 1/5th of it will. If you do thi,s just dont let a girl handle the crushed tablets.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thats classic, the doctor didnt even know what finistride was - what a f*cking dumb@ss! I love it how we need to teach our doctors medicine these days. Basically we use them for prescription monkeys after doing the research ourselves on the net.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinning said:
Thats classic, the doctor didnt even know what finistride was - what a f*cking dumb@ss! I love it how we need to teach our doctors medicine these days. Basically we use them for prescription monkeys after doing the research ourselves on the net.

yea i still cant get over he didnt no what it was. With all the different drugs out there though, do you think there are Docs that know every single one? I mean he knew what propecia was but not the actaul ingredient that made it.

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but.. I'm going to have to do full bloodworks soon. I'm assuming it will include Testosterone measurements (and maybe estrogen?).

What would you guys suggest I do as far as taking finasteride. What I mean is should I find out what my 'natural' levels are by staying off finasteride for 2 weeks before the test? Or should I just keep taking it and see what the levels are while taking this potent drug?

Thoughts?

PS: peter, we can compare values when I get my results :lol:

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Admin said:
...Using yet another hormonal modulator like arimidex to counter the effects of estrogen is just plain bad judgment. ...

Admin

Do you feel the same about other estogen-blockers like DIM and OXO?

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Resultsnottypical said:
Ya know, it's posts like these, I cannot understand. Did you get your blood tested two years ago and find out you had high estrogen (surely you didn't mean blood you "received", or did you?) How do you know it was high? Measured? And for two years it has been?

I'm wondering the same. I'd drop the passive voice from the first sentence though. E.g., "I cannot understand these posts."

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
Dave001 said:
Resultsnottypical said:
Ya know, it's posts like these, I cannot understand. Did you get your blood tested two years ago and find out you had high estrogen (surely you didn't mean blood you "received", or did you?) How do you know it was high? Measured? And for two years it has been?

I'm wondering the same. I'd drop the passive voice from the first sentence though. E.g., "I cannot understand these posts."

What are you wondering?