Water quality/water filters/water softeners & hairloss

td241

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was curious to see if anyone else had experience with how the quality of their water effects their hairloss.

I just moved back home where the water is very hard, and I've started shedding like crazy. My stepmom suggested it might be our water. When she travels, she notices her skin and hair are much better. We have a lot of scale....

I bought a "point-of-use" filtered shower head that claims to reduce scale (they don't all claim to do that. I have well water so I don't think chlorine is a problem but they all seem to filter that). The reviews (it was amazon) on the model I got were pretty extensive... 80-some people gave it a 5-star review. A few stated that it helped their hairloss, though I don't remember reading any from people who were suffering from male pattern baldness.

It seems like our water should be the first thing we look at. Wouldn't it make sense that chlorine and heavy metals and scale and other noxious chemicals could be responsible for causing our scalps to produce more oil and clog hair follicles? Or causing irritation that causes otherwise healthy hairs to shed?

Anyone else notice a difference in their hair that seems to be water-dependent?

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, the quality of shower water can be a hair loss factor IMO. It's not a major factor, but it would be a good idea to get a filtered shower head even if you don't have hair loss. It should not be priority though.

Which filtered shower head did you buy?

Was it this one?:
Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mount 10,000 Gallon Capacity Filtered Showerhead

Cookworm said:
We've been using this filter for three months now, and it works wonderfully. Simply screw it on the pipe, and you're ready to go. The head is not too big, not too small, and the different settings are useful. There has been no noticeable change in water pressure. Other things I noticed when we started using the filter-

1. My eyes don't turn itchy and red when I take a shower anymore.
2. Gradually, my hair has stopped falling. ( I was having trouble with hairloss and the doctor could not find any reason for it. Now I think it was the chlorine.)

The original cartridge has lasted us for three months (with two people using it daily) and I just bought a replacement on Amazon.

Neelima Ramisetti said:
This product is very reliable and does everything that it promises. We have very hard water in San Diego and my hair had to bear the brunt of it. But once I started using this filter , my hair is getting back to normal , no more dry and frizzy hair. My hair loss issues have also stopped. This even increased the flow of water than my previous old shower head. Definitely recommend this item.

Kumar Khatwani said:
The installation was quick and easy. The water pressure is better than the regular shower head.

I felt the difference in water quality and odor and I noticed my hair fall has reduced drastically in couple of weeks. Worth buying it compared to other shower filters in terms of price and quality.

Their hair loss seems to have happened because of water quality but nothing regarding genetics.

Pinto02

Reaction score
Hi all, Drinking water filters can actually save you money because you won't have to buy any more plastic material water wines. No more having to lug cases of water from the store into your home. You can have pure clean strained water running right out of your kitchen faucet.I use metal wines to bring my strained water with wherever I go. I have been using the same three wines for years all I have to do is wash them. I cannot imagine how many plastic material water wines I would have used. Thank you.

discount filters

coreymatthews

Reaction score
Sorry for the really old bump.

I moved back home in September and immediately noticed a huge increase in the amount of hair I shed each day. I wasn't sure what to amount it to -- added stress, environment, or just pure chance -- but I decided to give a shower filter a try and the difference has been outstanding!

It's only been a few months (started on October 23rd), but for the past week or so I swear I have not lost a single noticeable hair. By that I mean, not a single hair on the hand in the shower, or in the sink after combing rigorously.

The only other things I've added over that time have been an olive oil/aloe vera shampoo I bought from Walmart and minoxidil for the past month. I also pop an antihistamine in the morning, but I have been extremely inconsistent about that.

I've been slowly losing my hair for 8 years now... so this feels pretty great. No regrowth at all to report but if I can maintain what I currently have for the rest of my life than I'll take it :)

Just wanted to throw this out there. There's clearly no science behind my thought but its a one time $25 investment, so why not?

resu

Reaction score
Be aware of the scams regarding water filters, if you're going to test the water, do it with a certified lab and not with a salesman..

jazz1

Reaction score
Reverse osmosis, water softner and shower filters cured my alopecia areata, too may chemicals in water especially chlorine and flouride cause prostate enlargement, 95% disease is in water and food.

- - - Updated - - -

I recently fitted shower filter bought of eBay aswell as my whole house system is just softner and drinking is reverse osmosis I read you absorb more water during shower. Anyways it's cheap 25 pounds works great, must explain seasonal sheds= more added chlorine.

coreymatthews

Reaction score
Be aware of the scams regarding water filters, if you're going to test the water, do it with a certified lab and not with a salesman..

I am not sure if this is general advice or implying that I am a shower filter salesman... but just in case it is the latter, please be assured that I am not. I have two ancient accounts here (user ids aamiryou and bone1999) whose credentials I cannot remember, and a great job as a systems engineer that I would never trade for shower filter sales :)

Sorry if that comes across as defensive but I would understand the skepticism considering I made an account to post that. Though, in honesty, I probably would have pimped my brand and chosen a higher trafficked forum if I were looking for sales.

jazz1

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is general advice or implying that I am a shower filter salesman... but just in case it is the latter, please be assured that I am not. I have two ancient accounts here (user ids aamiryou and bone1999) whose credentials I cannot remember, and a great job as a systems engineer that I would never trade for shower filter sales :)

Sorry if that comes across as defensive but I would understand the skepticism considering I made an account to post that. Though, in honesty, I probably would have pimped my brand and chosen a higher trafficked forum if I were looking for sales.
Mate I'm with you water systems do bloody work it cured my alopecia areata and those shower filters remove chlorine which damage the dam hair! Most people fail to understand.

resu

Reaction score

General advice, there are many scammers that use a few tricks to impress people to make it seem that the water is actually worse than it really is.

jazz1

Reaction score
General advice, there are many scammers that use a few tricks to impress people to make it seem that the water is actually worse than it really is.
In the uk it is though, that's why the crap inside it was causing my alopecia areata aswell as my hairdresser, if fitting these salesman systems worked then how could they possibly be a scam? My patches regrew back in 3 weeks I have all pictures to proove, funny how AA is the highest in the uk defiantly those chemicals. Did you not know that chlorine and flouride can cause prostate enlarge and hair damage in men? I don't see why people don't realise how bad the water actually is and how it effects ones health until you suffer what I had :).

- - - Updated - - -

If this bloody sight allowed me to copy and paste my picture links I would that's why I hate using this site.

RisingFist

Reaction score
I've been meaning to get a shower filter for a while but not sure which is the best. There is one that Dr. Mercola is selling but it's triple the price as the one from OP. I wouldn't mind if I knew for a fact that it's the best. Is there flouride in shower water as well? I assume there would be if it's in tap water. Does the filter remove that as well or just chlorine? I believe there are some heavy metals that leach on the shower and some chemicals.

Also if you guys have any recommendations for water filters let me know. Was thinking of doing reverse osmosis and adding concentrate minerals to it.

jazz1

Reaction score
I have the kinetico water system k5 and water softner with mineral catridge added, I don't get any gym cramps since drinking this water plus it cured my alopecia areata since fitting this few months back in the uk. My friend has the Harvey's softner apparently flow rate is better on that, I went with kinetico because of the reverse osmosis, a distiller is another thing I need to invest but you need add your minerals to that :).

coreymatthews

Reaction score
Mine isn't fancy at all... its the in-line filter by Culligan and I re-use my old shower head.

Unfortunately I have noticed some hair loss again the last two days, but still remarkably minimal. I attribute it more to the minoxidil than anything. Gonna read up on reverse osmosis and the like soon.

w0rried

Reaction score
The place where I live some people use water from the Well and according to them this water is not good for hairs but its ok for drinking and washing other parts of body

jazz1

Reaction score
The place where I live some people use water from the Well and according to them this water is not good for hairs but its ok for drinking and washing other parts of body
Lol same thing drinking and wash.

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
In the uk it is though, that's why the crap inside it was causing my alopecia areata aswell as my hairdresser, if fitting these salesman systems worked then how could they possibly be a scam? My patches regrew back in 3 weeks I have all pictures to proove, funny how AA is the highest in the uk defiantly those chemicals. Did you not know that chlorine and flouride can cause prostate enlarge and hair damage in men? I don't see why people don't realise how bad the water actually is and how it effects ones health until you suffer what I had :).

- - - Updated - - -

If this bloody sight allowed me to copy and paste my picture links I would that's why I hate using this site.

Really? Where abouts in the UK do you live? Surely it depends, I live in Scotland so I would imagine that the water is pretty pure?? Yet you see a lot of bald people in Scotland.