Was dutasteride the right call for someone with DUPA?

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Background: 29 year old diffuse thinner. Was on finasteride/minoxidil for two years before switching to generic dutasteride

I have been on Dutasteride on a consistent every day dose for the past 70 days. Started with a 3 day dose in November and then switched to an every dose in Jan. Have continued using the minoxidil.

Within 3 weeks I noticed apparent shedding. My sideburns also became thin and so did the back of my head. I am a diffuse thinner and never quite noticed something like this happen with finasteride. My hair looks terrible. The diffuse thinning is now visible even when my hair is dry. The scalp can clearly be seen.

Buzzed of my hair to a # 1 and I am wondering what my treatment options are as it looks like DUPA (will share pics later).

Scalp micropigmentation?

Dermamatch?

Switching to finasteride again?

Waiting it out for six months?

PRP?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have to give dutasteride at least 6 months.

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Have to give dutasteride at least 6 months.

I realize that. The shedding phase is especially scary. More so than finasteride ever was(which was barely noticeable). Even my side burns have thinned out. Is this normal?

My scalp looks like an evac site that was adjacent to a nuclear blast site. And my hair looks like those zombie trees from evil dead. In fact, these days, I look like a death knight. And even that is a euphemism.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Background: 29 year old diffuse thinner. Was on finasteride/minoxidil for two years before switching to generic dutasteride

I have been on Dutasteride on a consistent every day dose for the past 70 days. Started with a 3 day dose in November and then switched to an every dose in Jan. Have continued using the minoxidil.

Within 3 weeks I noticed apparent shedding. My sideburns also became thin and so did the back of my head. I am a diffuse thinner and never quite noticed something like this happen with finasteride. My hair looks terrible. The diffuse thinning is now visible even when my hair is dry. The scalp can clearly be seen.

Buzzed of my hair to a # 1 and I am wondering what my treatment options are as it looks like DUPA (will share pics later).

Scalp micropigmentation?

Dermamatch?

Switching to finasteride again?

Waiting it out for six months?

PRP?

With a medication as hardcore as dutasteride, it is probable to experience Telogen Effluvium.

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Shedding has stopped. Now, with my hair grown out it is difficult to notice any signs of hair loss. I'll get a hair cut soon and that might give me a proper assessment.

Intend to add MSM to the mix and topical RU a few months from now.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
I realize that. The shedding phase is especially scary. More so than finasteride ever was(which was barely noticeable). Even my side burns have thinned out. Is this normal?

My scalp looks like an evac site that was adjacent to a nuclear blast site. And my hair looks like those zombie trees from evil dead. In fact, these days, I look like a death knight. And even that is a euphemism.

Not to make fun of your hair drama, but I chuckled.

Shedding has stopped. Now, with my hair grown out it is difficult to notice any signs of hair loss. I'll get a hair cut soon and that might give me a proper assessment.

Intend to add MSM to the mix and topical RU a few months from now.

I'd wait at least 1+ year. Adding RU might be overkill. Most likely dutasteride will give you stabilisation. Why start the long term use of an untested chemical if it might not even be needed? And that's even without considering the potentially useless extra cost.

molybdenum

Reaction score
Glad to hear you found a treatment that works for you. Don't bother with RU unless your condition worsens.

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Sound advice. I'll hold off on the RU for now.

Not to make fun of your hair drama, but I chuckled.

I'd wait at least 1+ year. Adding RU might be overkill. Most likely dutasteride will give you stabilisation. Why start the long term use of an untested chemical if it might not even be needed? And that's even without considering the potentially useless extra cost.

wutdahair

Reaction score
@Rockinlove, please keep us updated as i have DUPA as well. I'm currently losing ground on propecia and minoxidil after 3 years. Thanks!

sonnytle

My Regimen
Reaction score
Rockinlove, i'm in the same situation as you with DUPA and taking Dutasteride. It would be great if you can share your results so far.

Thanks!

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Rockinlove, i'm in the same situation as you with DUPA and taking Dutasteride. It would be great if you can share your results so far.

Thanks!
He hasn't been on in a year. Think you're out of luck there.

Jay102389

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey I have DUPA as well and been holding off on finasteride and dutasteride as long as possible but it's time for me to start. Did you not have any success with finsateride first?? Need help and not many ppl have dupa. Thanks

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe he regrew everything and is living his life in peace :p

That's actually the most probable outcome.

I have dupa, too. On finasteride for seven months, don't see anything yet.

French

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, same thing here, DUPA and no effect on Fina , any uptade from dupa who try Dutasteride ?