Verteporfin drug induced scarless healing with new hair follicles on mice. This new founding can be really big

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score
"A 20-year-old drug, verteporfin, already on the market as an intravenous treatment for macular degeneration, can prevent scarring if it is injected at the edge of a wound."

“The first thing we were shocked by was all the hair in the healed wound,” Longaker said. “We were also able to see normal glands and showed that the skin was just as strong as unwounded skin.”

Even tho the studies are focused in rats, til this day we never experienced a drug induced reaction like that even in animals..
Studies are to be conducted this year since the drug is old and with proven safety..

Thoughts on that?

Here is the paper:

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that the fact that the drug is expensive could be a real problem, but should not even be in question right now.. The real question is that, if this drug can deliver these results in humans, this is a major breakthrough, like a enormous finding, its too good to be true actually.

Even deliverying these results in mice is already a great discovery.

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are a hundred drugs listed in the Follica patent that do this

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score
There are a hundred drugs listed in the Follica patent that do this
Care to elaborate and share?
At this very moment of human history, scarless healing hold its spot in the pantheon of the aesthetic holy grail persuit..

Im not talking about scar improvement.. Im talking about scarless healing. There are literally no drugs avaiable at this very moment(that we are aware) that can provide scarless healing.
There are nothing in pipeline for near future treatments that promise scarless healing also(that i know).

This find can be something that is imense. Really sounds too imense to be true. I posted it here because few users maybe know better about verteporfin or can have access to it to debunk/test/dismistify or attest its efficacy

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Care to elaborate and share?
At this very moment of human history, scarless healing hold its spot in the pantheon of the aesthetic holy grail persuit..

Im not talking about scar improvement.. Im talking about scarless healing. There are literally no drugs avaiable at this very moment(that we are aware) that can provide scarless healing.
There are nothing in pipeline for near future treatments that promise scarless healing also(that i know).

This find can be something that is imense. Really sounds too imense to be true. I posted it here because few users maybe know better about verteporfin or can have access to it to debunk/test/dismistify or attest its efficacy
Scarless healing isn't the relevant part of the discussion here. What we care about is hair growth, and literally hundreds of compounds promote hair growth during wound healing.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder what the BBQ guy used. :) It did say he got burned from a coal fire.
Benoxaprofen. It's a banned arthritis drug. It killed like 6 people.

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score
Scarless healing isn't the relevant part of the discussion here. What we care about is hair growth, and literally hundreds of compounds promote hair growth during wound healing.
Your argument is totally flawled, because scarless healing implies directly in hair restoration/ reactivation of hair activities.

Hair growth induced during wound healing is not even comparable to complete regeneration of skin with all its structure including hair follicles.
If scarless healing became a reality u literally have male pattern baldness cure, it is totally different from inducing hair through wound healing.

Scarless healing is 100% relevant in this discussion. When u can literally reverse all the process of fibrosis/inflammation that is occurring on a androgenic pattern scalp, u are restoring all its activities, incluiding hair.

Alot of studies and experts in that matter knows that scarless healing would be a functional "cure" for male pattern baldness

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your argument is totally flawled, because scarless healing implies directly in hair restoration/ reactivation of hair activities.

Hair growth induced during wound healing is not even comparable to complete regeneration of skin with all its structure including hair follicles.
If scarless healing became a reality u literally have male pattern baldness cure, it is totally different from inducing hair through wound healing.
Ok. I'm not going to argue with you about it. If you believe it's better than all the other WIHN drugs then buy it and try it. Report back if you grow a full mane.

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok. I'm not going to argue with you about it. If you believe it's better than all the other WIHN drugs then buy it and try it. Report back if you grow a full mane.
My point here is not even discussing about what scarless healing can accomplish for hair loss because that is too obvious. My point is discuss if this drug CAN really induce scarless healing like it induced on rats.
Another flawled comment that literally doesnt add anything to the topic..

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
My point here is not even discussing about what scarless healing can accomplish for hair loss because that is too obvious. My point is discuss if this drug CAN really induce scarless healing like it induced on rats.
Another flawled comment that literally doesnt add anything to the topic..

Yes, your comment literally added nothing to the topic. If you really want to induce hair follicle neogenesis upregulate shh in wounds.

As for scarless wound healing. Impressive, but I have my doubts on that too. This drug has been around for 20 years for intravenous use and in all that time nobody noticed that people don't scar while on it? Surely somebody in all that time suffered a large wound while they were on it, and would have noticed that it healed without a scar.

You're very snarky btw, do you come from reddit?

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, your comment literally added nothing to the topic. If you really want to induce hair follicle neogenesis upregulate shh in wounds.

As for scarless wound healing. Impressive, but I have my doubts on that too. This drug has been around for 20 years for intravenous use and in all that time nobody noticed that people don't scar while on it? Surely somebody in all that time suffered a large wound while they were on it, and would have noticed that it healed without a scar.

You're very snarky btw, do you come from reddit?
Its a extremly expensive drug that is used for macular degeneration. Isnt a large spectrum cheap vastly used drug. The way they had the hypothesis that it could work on skin, i dont have this answer. But is easy to assume the reasons why its efficacy was hidden til now.
I dont come from reddit. Im kinda old in this forum, but i rarely post here.

Your hypothesis is valid, and this drug can literally have no effect on humans, but the mechanism of its action in mice-model is already a major finding because it stop fibrosis and upregulate skin on its tracks even in a constant skin stress inducing scenario.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
The finding about engrailed-1 activation is interesting. If it does work in humans it would be a major breakthrough and would help us with preventing strip scars. Unfortunately hair regrowth on the scalp from it would likely be the same as hair regrowth anywhere else on the body, that is it would just be vellus hair. We can reliably do this already. The trick is turning those vellus hairs into thick, terminal hairs with a long anagen phase. This probably won't help us do that.

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score
The finding about engrailed-1 activation is interesting. If it does work in humans it would be a major breakthrough and would help us with preventing strip scars. Unfortunately hair regrowth on the scalp from it would likely be the same as hair regrowth anywhere else on the body, that is it would just be vellus hair. We can reliably do this already. The trick is turning those vellus hairs into thick, terminal hairs with a long anagen phase. This won't help us do that.
First of all, in the worst scenario u can literally remove strips of skin with hair of your donor area and make the depleted area regenerate with the previous hair functionality making your donor area inexhaustible.
But thats not even needed if u achieved something like scarless healing, because it would literally had the potential to reverse fibrosis from chronic inflammation and all the processes of male pattern baldness.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all, in the worst scenario u can literally remove strips of skin with hair of your donor area and make the depleted area regenerate with the previous hair functionality making your donor area inexhaustible.
But thats not even needed if u achieved something like scarless healing, because it would literally had the potential to reverse fibrosis from chronic inflammation and all the processes of male pattern baldness.

You misunderstood. I meant that it could prevent the strip scar that comes from FUT. It's not going to regrow terminal hairs in the strip. It will still appear bald. This will only regrow vellus hairs. Think about it, if this creates brand new follicles in brand new skin then why would those follicles grow like scalp hair on your head but not on your arm? If this works like you think it does then people who use this on their arm would grow a pony tail on their arm. That's not going to happen, and it's not going to happen on your scalp either because the molecular signals that program scalp hair to grow long and thick are only present during embryogenesis. They aren't present when applying this compound so the hair that grows will only be vellus. Mice are very different from humans, and you see this kind of robust WIHN on them from a lot of compounds.

Fibrosis isn't the cause of baldness and neither is inflammation, but that's a whole other thread and I am tired of debunking broscience on this website. It just keeps coming up again like groundhog day because of all the idiots on youtube who tell people this stuff.

Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
You misunderstood. I meant that it could prevent the strip scar that comes from FUT. It's not going to regrow terminal hairs in the strip. It will still appear bald. This will only regrow vellus hairs. Think about it, if this creates brand new follicles in brand new skin then why would those follicles grow like scalp hair on your head but not on your arm? If this works like you think it does then people who use this on their arm would grow a pony tail on their arm. That's not going to happen, and it's not going to happen on your scalp either because the molecular signals that program scalp hair to grow long and thick are only present during embryogenesis. They aren't present when applying this compound so the hair that grows will only be vellus. Mice are very different from humans, and you see this kind of robust WIHN on them from a lot of compounds.

Fibrosis isn't the cause of baldness and neither is inflammation, but that's a whole other thread and I am tired of debunking broscience on this website. It just keeps coming up again like groundhog day because of all the idiots on youtube who tell people this stuff.
Stop responding to the bro science, it's 95% of what every new thread is and it doesn't have to be your job to debunk it haha

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score

Thats literally makes no sense at all.

If u remove skin on your head and it heals scarlessly it will grow like scalp skin, because of cell signaling
If u remove skin on your arm, the hair that will grow there will be vellus like arm hair because of the cell signaling
I feel that there is literally no point keeping myself in this discussion, because the whole point isnt about the content of the thread anymore and just about "winning" some ego fight. Im not here to win or lose a debate, just to acquire knowledge which is seems to be lacking here.
If u guys think that scarless healing and hair growth is bro science, then it is.