Using A Combination Of Propecia And 5% Rogaine

Outdoorsman

Reaction score
I started using both propecia and 5% Rogaine on October 25, 2005 to test the effectiveness of this combination on my thinning hair at the crown. I am 55 years old and had been experiencing some diffuse hair loss on top of my head for about a year. I was just beginning to see the scalp through the hair. Previously my only noticeable hair loss was at the temples and the front hairline. The typical receding hairline look. Well, so far the treatment appears to have stopped my hair loss and I am seeing more hair growing in the crown area. I can part the hair in that area and no longer see as much "exposed" scalp as I prior to the treatment program. I have experienced no side effects from the propecia and just mild flaking from the Rogaine. None of the receded hair at the temple has regrown and I doubt it would; this hair has been "gone" for many years! So I am most pleased so far with this combination of propecia and Rogaine and hope to keep most of my hair on top of my head.

Here are my questions: Can I stop the Rogaine and just continue with propecia since my hair is making a comeback at the crown area? Will the propecia maintain the "new" hair growth without having to use the Rogaine? I would prefer just to use the propecia.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

thiningattop

Established Member
Reaction score
Myth1# "The use of an inhibitor can preserve my minoxidil results after quitting minoxidil"

Many think that hair regrown by minoxidil can be maintained by the use of DHT inhibitors alone. This is absolutely not true as the mechanism of action is totally different between minoxidil and inhibitors like finasteride. The discontinuation of minoxidil use will lead to a Telogen Effluvium [telogen effluvium], leading the user temporarily below baseline and then eventually up to his initial condition - see graph below.

http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/hair_news_index/hair_news17.htm

Outdoorsman

Reaction score
Thinningatop,

Thank you very much for this information. I felt that perhaps the Propecia would be sufficient to keep the hair that I am regrowing because of the reduction in DHT. So I will continue with the 5% Rogaine treatments.

I am really pleased with this combination of Propecia and Rogaine. I can part my hair down the middle all the way back and the thinning crown area is already showing more hair growth. Prior to the treatment, I could see the scalp area more clearly. And when I washed my hair, the scalp was even more visible, but no more.

I am even seeing some improvement in the frontal areas though the completely bald temple areas are still very much bald!

I thought perhaps at 55 years of age the Propecia/Rogaine regimen would not work for me. But it is working great so far.

thiningattop

Established Member
Reaction score
Thats good to hear Outdoorsman.

Im going to be starting finasteride soon (as soon as my order arrives). I've already been on minoxidil for just a short period of time. Hopefully i'll see results within the same timeframe you have.

P.S. - If you have any before and after pics .... please post them in the "Success Stories" forum, everyone here (especially me) needs encouraging pictures!!!

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your maintenance!

If you haven't already, throw in Nizoral on every 3rd day!

Outdoorsman

Reaction score
cj,

I am using the Nizoral regularly and it works well. Thanks for the encouragement!

thinningattop,

I just can't get over how well the Propecia is working at my hairline. I started the Propecia about 3 months ago. I started the Rogaine at the same time, but only use it at my crown area. The shedding stopped very quickly. I can now see more growing all around my crown area and my hairline has more small hairs growing in areas that were thinning. I no longer see the thinning scalp appearance at my crown, the frontal hairline or just above temple area. The propecia seems to energize/reactivate my hair follicles by reducing the DHT build up. My hair just looks better and I can comb back the front area and see new smaller hairs appearing around the hairline. Also I am sure by using the Propecia/Rogaine combination before any large areas of baldness appeared was a big help. I started the regimen quickly. This was probably the key and also my crown baldness started later in life. Hopefully this regimen will continue to work and I can keep most of my hair. And I have had NO side effects from the Propecia unless they start appearing later.

Good luck to you.

Outdoorsman

Reaction score
Update on my propecia/rogaine regimen:

The propecia/5% rogaine combination regimen continues to grow hair on this 55 year old head! I just can't get over it. I started October 25, 2005 and have been on it for about 3 months. I can comb my hair back from the front and the the receding hairline has thickened and the "width" of the receded peak has increased from about 2 inches to around 3 inches. Small hairs are appearing at the hairline area which was thinning. I am not seeing any hair growth over the temples which have been bald for over 20 years and don't expect any "new hairs". My crown area no longer shows any balding scalp and has thickened back to where I was several years ago. It appears my hair areas at the front and crown are being energized by the propecia in particular. Almost like being fertilized! I only use rogaine at the crown and still am not sure if it is the rogaine or the propecia which is the main reason for the good growth here.

In my case, I started using the propecia/rogaine when my crown area started losing hair to the point where the balding scalp was becoming more visible when parting my hair or after washing. So perhaps the key was a quick intervention.

Hopefully this combination regimen will continue to work and I can keep the good growth of hair. My scalp hair looks like it did many years ago before the crown thinning commenced.

Also, I have not experienced any adverse effects from the propecia and just some mild flaking from the rogaine.

Perhaps other men can use this combination and experience a good response like I have experienced.

clau

Reaction score
Outdoorsman said:
Update on my propecia/rogaine regimen:

The propecia/5% rogaine combination regimen continues to grow hair on this 55 year old head! I just can't get over it. I started October 25, 2005 and have been on it for about 3 months. I can comb my hair back from the front and the the receding hairline has thickened and the "width" of the receded peak has increased from about 2 inches to around 3 inches. Small hairs are appearing at the hairline area which was thinning. I am not seeing any hair growth over the temples which have been bald for over 20 years and don't expect any "new hairs". My crown area no longer shows any balding scalp and has thickened back to where I was several years ago. It appears my hair areas at the front and crown are being energized by the propecia in particular. Almost like being fertilized! I only use rogaine at the crown and still am not sure if it is the rogaine or the propecia which is the main reason for the good growth here.

In my case, I started using the propecia/rogaine when my crown area started losing hair to the point where the balding scalp was becoming more visible when parting my hair or after washing. So perhaps the key was a quick intervention.

Hopefully this combination regimen will continue to work and I can keep the good growth of hair. My scalp hair looks like it did many years ago before the crown thinning commenced.

Also, I have not experienced any adverse effects from the propecia and just some mild flaking from the rogaine.

Perhaps other men can use this combination and experience a good response like I have experienced.

First of all, congratulations !!!

I'm using finas along with spironolactone cream ( 4 pills of proscar= 20mg finas for full jar of dr.Lee's spironolactone /2oz)

I'm having some regrowth on my temples after 2.5 months of minoxidil but i experiencing some thinning and I'd like to try Finas/minoxidil combination as I find Finas/spironolactone quite difficult to rub (im still NW2)

How do u combine finas(propecia) with rogaine ? what's the dose of propecia/rogaine are you using?

many thanks,
clau

Outdoorsman

Reaction score
Clau,

I take the 1 mg pill version of propecia once a morning. So, I am not using any kind of topical application of propecia. I should have clarified that originally. I "eye drop" the 5% Rogaine on my crown area twice a day.

I am not seeing anymore thinning areas in my scalp and new hair growth is clearly visible. This is even evident after shampooing which makes your scalp even more visible. I do believe it is the propecia's abilty to reduce DHT levels that is the reason.

However, I don't know if this will last and the power of genetics may eventually overcome the propecia! But so far, I am most pleased and will continue the propecia/rogaine combination regiment.

Good luck to you!

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
Outdoorsman said:
Here are my questions: Can I stop the Rogaine and just continue with propecia since my hair is making a comeback at the crown area? Will the propecia maintain the "new" hair growth without having to use the Rogaine? I would prefer just to use the propecia.

For what it'w worth, I had been using Rogaine and Propecia for a few years with good results when I decided to quit the Rogaine, as it's so messy and a pain to use.

About 6-9 months later, I noticed how thin some of the comb "part" areas had become. I was definately losing, not gaining as I had been up until then.

I started using Rogaine again and it eventually filled back in.

clau

Reaction score
Outdoorsman said:
Clau,

I take the 1 mg pill version of propecia once a morning. So, I am not using any kind of topical application of propecia. I should have clarified that originally. I "eye drop" the 5% Rogaine on my crown area twice a day.

I am not seeing anymore thinning areas in my scalp and new hair growth is clearly visible. This is even evident after shampooing which makes your scalp even more visible. I do believe it is the propecia's abilty to reduce DHT levels that is the reason.

However, I don't know if this will last and the power of genetics may eventually overcome the propecia! But so far, I am most pleased and will continue the propecia/rogaine combination regiment.

Good luck to you!

outdoorsman,

it was a misunderstanding.

thx anyway.

i do believe that finas is doing its job in your case.
great !

As far as im concerned, i think my regimen+topical finas is stopping my hair loss. im just waiting for a while to confirm that.
Hair regrowth is clearly visible.

im preparing my pics for the right forum.

thx again

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
outdoorsman, congratulations. can you post pictures?