-UPDATE- Went to a REAL doctor.. opinons on his, erm opinion

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I was first "diagnosed" by a Guy at HCM. Now at the time, I told myself that whatever he said, to take it with a grain of salt. They might want to help me, but their in business to make money. And from some of the posts I've seen about them, I'm glad I had at least that foresight. (150$ a month for minoxidil and the hugest regime I've ever seen, BTW)

Well the doctor ran the scope on me, asked me a ton of questions.. looked at old pictures, my diet, etc. And things are at least brighter for me now.

I don't have loss in the temples, BUT I do have loss on my hairline, and yes, it's receding. I also have diffuse thinning on the top of my head. The loss on my front hairline mades my natural widows peaks look like loss. He did say it was possible that I had receded on my temples, but he doubts it. Doctor says from the look of the scalp, its been a slow process. (explains why my uncle took so long to go bald)

Now, I hardly shed, (about 60 hairs a day average lately) no hairs on my pillow, or clumps in the shower, and few even when I wear black all day. The majority of the hairs are half brown and half blonde (I dye my hair) and mostly have white bulbs with normal thickness hair w/ descent length. (even from top to bottom) so he said that was a definate positive thing. All the questions he asked me, put alot of puzzle pieces together. I've become my uncle, with his almost exact hairloss timeline.

You can't tell unless I pull my hair back, or get my head very wet. On top, light shows scalp when it's close to my head, but not anything that would show in the day light.. esp. with some thickening shampoo. Some people still think I'm nuts.

So he recommended finasteride, and nizo 1%. (scalp is fairlyu well off) He told me (like several of you) to try just the finasteride first and see how the results were, then If I wanted more thickness, to simply try minoxidil 2%, or 5% based on how I acted on finasteride.

He also suggested that I buy some nizoral now, and ease my hair into the treatment for a week or two, then add finasteride. Supposedly the nizoral and finasteride combo would shock the hair. (heard this on the site as well)

So I'm buying Nizo tomm.

Thoughts? Disagreements? Mockery?

:hairy:

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds kosher to me. Don't start minoxidil till after you see the year mark or at least 6 months on finasteride like Doctor said. You lucky bastard with your slow male pattern baldness.

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
lol

I guess all things considered, I am. He did show me where my diffuse thinning was starting to make my crown look bare. It's not noticable from behind, only from above, and then only with direct light, but who knows when I get my hair cut in about 2 months. Thank god I'm 6'2..

Guess what part of my uncle I remember being bald first?

Damn straight.. the crown.

I do feel better, although more self-conscious about the back of my head. Maybe I should pick up some toppik or couvre. At least I'm past the freak out stage and into the "acceptance and treatment" stage.

helpmefindmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post Bone Daddy.

I always like to hear what a professional with years of experience has to say.