Trichotillomania

A

Administrator

Do you have Trichotillomania? Ask your questions, exchange information on treatments, and share your experiences here.

For more information on Trichotillomania, please visit our Guide to the Alopecia's here on HairlossTalk.com

HairLossTalk.com

Stinger122

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello :hairy:

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Wezz said:
what the hell is Trichotillomania :shock:

Trichotillomania

The name of a psychological condition which results in an obsession with plucking or pulling on one's own body or scalp hair. There are several problems that can result from this activity, and the psychology behind it can be confusing. Commonly treatable in children, adults with this condition rarely recover.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/al ... omania.htm

G

Can u get Trichotillomania from constantly tugging your scrotum hair?

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I know a girl who plucks her hair. She always wears a hat. She's actually very attractive except when she takes off her hat and you see all her bald spots.

jikslee

Reaction score
i've been getting this a bit lately - my frontal region is gettin quite thin (maybe the sheds, maybe not) and when i'm not thinking suddenly my hand is up there, rubbing away at the little stubbly hairs, pulling at the longer hairs.... i just started doing it now when i stopped typing for a second!!

i was sat on the train doing it today, i bet I looked mental..

anyone know how to stop? i have done this five or six times while putting up this post :freaked:

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Trichotillomaniacs are all bastards! How DARE you pomp the fact that you have so much hair you can just pull it out!
Feh. Can I have yours?

G

i always used to tug on my hair when I was stressed; since ive seen how thin my hair is :shock: have stopped :)

G

So why is this part of the forum not active? There must be hundreds of thousands of TTM-people in the English-language-countries.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Because the solution is not as simple as popping a pill. There are much behind it. I have read some posts on other forums and it seems kind of tragic.

debs

Reaction score
tupperware said:
So why is this part of the forum not active? There must be hundreds of thousands of TTM-people in the English-language-countries.
If you look at some of the posts on the first page, I think you'll find the answer. People who pull their hair are sensitive to ridicule about it, and it doesn't look like a friendly understanding discussion here to date.

Another reason may be that LOTS of people who pull their hair out don't know that the condition has a name, so wouldn't know to look under the heading of Trichotillomania.

Anyway, I pull my hair and have done so for 35 years on and off (mostly on!) since I was 13. Silly comments like those earlier on in this thread don't bother me. I'm only posting here in case a genuine hair puller comes along, just to let them know there are other normal people who do it too, and no, we're not crazy. :hairy:

Lorenzo_91

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a trechlonoscratcher of hair. I am always doing it.

debs

Reaction score
Lorenzo_91 said:
I am a trechlonoscratcher of hair. I am always doing it.

Sheesh Lorenzo.... Any chance you could put that in plain English, so we know what you're saying? I'd be interested.

Debs