TortoiseAndHair's Story (Pics included)

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Been reading this site for about a week now, and I must say, it's got a wealth of information. Thanks, HairLossTalk.com!

I first started noticing my hair thinning in college, but I didn't really think too much about it. It wasn't obvious, and I was convinced that when it got too bad, I'd just shave it all off, and that would be that.

After I graduated, I noticed that I was really starting to thin, and looking at my older brother, who's about a Norwood 5A or 6, and seeing how bad it looked, I decided to do something about it. Also, the fact that my dad is 100% "glabrous," I had a pretty good feeling I might be heading down the same road. (At the time, I figured that it was only my Mom's side that should affect me, but after reading this site, I know that's not true!)

I didn't want the hassle of a prescription, so I started on got Rogaine 5% when I was about 23. I did it for about 4 months before the itching and flaking got to me. I couldn't stand it anymore, so I just quit. I figured I'd rather be bald than have huge flakes.

Time passed, and I was pretty much resigned to my fate, but it really didn't get much worse, or so I figured. One day about a week ago (I'm 26 now), I went in to get a haircut, and the hairdresser asked me what kind of shampoo I use.

Me: "Whatever's cheapest"
Her: "Well, you should probably consider trying <Brand X> shampoo, because it really thickens your hair up. Right now, you've got full coverage, but your hair is so thin you can see right through to the scalp.
Me: "Oh my, thank you for such an astute observation! I had no friggin' clue that you could see my scalp when my hair's wet!"

Anyway, I took it pretty hard. When complete strangers can make comments like that, I imagined it must be pretty bad. I think I'm in the Norwood 2-3 range, but I would say I have pretty good coverage everywhere, it's just thinning a lot. I'll post pictures when I'm not so lazy.

Edit:
Here are the pictures:
http://photos.yahoo.com/tortoiseandhairhlt

Anyway, I decided to do something about my hair loss, so I went to the store, and bought Progaine. I figured it I needed a thickening shampoo, then might as well go with the experts. I also started looking online, and found this site, which convinced me to take the full plunge, and consider drug treatment. I decided to try Rogaine again, this time with an anti-dandruff shampoo. Nizoral seems to be the shampoo of choice. I also decided to go for Propecia as well, to try and attack the problem from another angle.

Here's my current regimen:
Nizoral 1% 3x a week, Progaine all other days
Rogaine 5%, 2x a day
Propecia, 1x a day

I'm basically on day 3 of my treatment, and I don't feel different, except that Rogaine makes my scalp feel slightly itchy, and heavy, if that makes any sense. I feel like it's just building up, and building up. Oh well, I'm gonna stick with it for at least a year. Basically, if all this doesn't work, I really will give up and either do hair transplant, or just shave it all off.

One thing I think I've learned from reading everyone's posts, is how important it is to stick with it, and not skip days, weeks, etc, or quit altogether. I also feel like adding/removing X, Y, and Z treatments can't be good as well. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and going to sleep along the way (skipping days, changing treatments) is not how you win. You know what they say, slow and steady wins the race!

Of course, easy for me to say, I'm on day 3! :lol:

I'll keep you guys posted with how things are going.
Thanks![/b]

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
I just took some pictures tonight. Since I started my regimen very recently, I'll consider them baseline pics...

It was actually quite shocking to me to see these. I basically never obsessed (much) about my hair before. I knew it was thinning from what I could see from the front, but I had no idea how bad it looked from the top. No wonder my hairdresser decided to say something.

So, this is what they call diffuse thinning, right?
Where does that put me on the Norwood scale?
I guess a 5a??
http://www.regrowth.com/hair_loss_diagn ... type_5.cfm :freaked: :(

Damn. and this is before any shedding.

Well, I'll keep on the regimen (it's all I can do) and post pics monthly/semi-monthly.

ssjrexboi

Reaction score
ive noticed that diffuse thinners dont really fall into norwood categories. also, i know what you mean about being shocked by the top view of your hair. diffuse thinning kind of creeps up on you, and you dont notice it until late in the game.

Deaner

Reaction score
I noticed mine almost instantly, because I noticed that a) my shorter back of the head hair can be tussled around alot more and stay in place, and b) the back of my head hair seems to be thicker looking when wet (although not horribly) Another thing is that since my hair is quite short, combing it when wet shows SOME scalp through (tiny amounts however) on the top and none in the back. Like I said, I caught it REALLY early, but it's not that hard to notice. SOmetimes I don't understand how people can't notice they're diffusing or decide to do something about it until there's like, 3 strands on top.

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude, I've got at least 5 strands on top...

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
Just start your regimen, stick to it, and hold on to your butt! :lol:

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, no pictures this time, but I figured I'd give everyone a 2 month update, since I just popped my 60th pill.

For almost the entire two months, I never saw any results, just an irritated scalp on some days. Thanks to Nizoral, T/Gel, T/Sal, and/or Tricomin, I was able to keep dandruff mostly at bay. If I scratch, I get flakes, but I've managed to stop myself from scratching most of the time too.

Then, last week, I noticed that I, too, was getting little tiny hairs growing at my hairline. I can only assume that I'm getting little hairs all over my scalp, but of course, I can't be sure, since I can't see them. Anyway, it's not much to look at now, but I plan to just keep doing what I'm doing, and hopefully these guys will turn thicker as time goes on.

I think I've stabilized on my regimen, and I don't plan on making any changes for a long time.

Just wanted to share the good news...

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Today is exactly 3 months after my baseline pics were posted.
Here are my 3 month pics:

The top 8 pics in this folder are the baseline pics. The next 8 are the 3 month pics. I'll continue adding 8 pics every 3 months.

I am happy to say that I feel like I'm making progress. However, my baseline pics were taken days after a haircut. The 3 month pics are taken 1 month after a haircut, so maybe that's why the change is so visible.

Sorry the pictures are crappy. I'm no photographer.
Opinions welcome....
T&H

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sure looks good to me. If I can do as well as you seem to be doing, I'll be happy.

Pirate Commander F.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like a big improvement. 3+ months on Finasteride myself, hoping for the best (I'm a receeder though). Haven't been able to take pictures yet, but I'm working on it.

foo2

Reaction score
it's looking good for 3 months treatment, although as you say, the fact that your hair is longer could be playing a part :)

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
You guys will just have to wait for the 6 month update to see what my scalp, uhh, I mean, hair looks like right after a haircut.
8)