Toppik pros and cons

JoseTheodore

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm on minoxidil and finasterade... but for a concealer I use toppik. It makes the thinning I have on my crown disappear. It's such a great product. Is it the best concealer though? The worst aspects are:

(1) how disgusting it makes my bathroom. Every morning, I have to wipe down a bunch of surfaces as a part of my routine.

(2) how paranoid I become that I might get wet or caught in the rain and the fibers are going to get all over my forehead, neck etc. For some reason the black toppik turns green when it hits water.

(3) After a bunch of it has rubbed off, like after sleeping, it appears like you have leopard-like spots on your scalp in the thinned out area. It leaves black fuzzy fibres on your pillow too.

So is there something better? I take all of the above as a trade-off for having normal looking hair, but is there a product on par that doesn't rub off on pillows and make the bathroom super gross? One that's more water resistant and doesn't turn green? There's a product called hair cubed that seems ok?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hair cubed is that awful spray isn't it?

I have also posted regarding the 'leopard spots' look on a previous thread, It is a shame, especially if you are sharing a bed with someone! All the fibres do that in my experience, I've tried 3 different ones.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
Its a pain isnt it but the results out way the negatives or at least they did when I used it. I used it when my hair was short but I grew it and haven't used it for a couple of years.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mrdavies said:
Its a pain isnt it but the results out way the negatives or at least they did when I used it. I used it when my hair was short but I grew it and haven't used it for a couple of years.

Yes, I supposed, but I'm still not entirely confident wearing it.
I'm guessing you didn't use it for the crown especially then?

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
My only advice is simple. If the sky is overcast (or the local weather forecast calls for rain) make sure you've got an umbrella at the ready. I don't know of any concealer that can stand up to pouring rain.

Anthony83

Established Member
Reaction score
major CON...

i didnt know this till 2 years after starting...but toppik gives you green sweat. if you use a decent amount in the front of your head and then work out, your sweat will be green and it can freak out some ppl

other than that, it is a great product. i used it for year until i didnt have enough hair left. i high recommend the spray applicator and using either the fiber hold spray or some nornam hairspray. the hairspray helps keep the surrounding hairs in place. this product delayed being bald for me for about 4-5 years. love it.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Toppic is the only hair fibre that does this, other brands have less problems.

Lopfraze

Established Member
Reaction score
Use the spray volumizer attachment thing. It allows an even distribution of the fibres, so that you don't have to use anywhere near as much, so excess fibres are less likely to create a mess. I don't tend to have the problems with toppik that many here describe, I think because I just don't need to use as much because of the spray thing. It's well worth getting.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
i cant relate to pretty much any of those issues mate

firstly, how can you make a mess of your bathroom putting it on? for me its just a little shake and im away. zero mess. i cant imagine how there would ever be a mess?

secondly, fibres? the stuff i use it powder so this is never an issue either

even in the wet theres no problems for me....

finally a tip for you guys. for the most effective use of toppik, atleast in my experience is to apply it when your hair is semi-wet. eg. after the shower on after a quick dry down with your towel. it seems to absorb very naturally into the hair for me. i then use a hairdryer to dry my hair fully (as opposed to rubbing it all off with a towel!)

works great for me, i love it. i wouldn't like to be needing to use loads every time though you have to draw the line on how reliant you are on it...

LeesHair

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Nanogen so have never had any colour-issues, unfortunately they don't have a sprayer though becuase that looks good!
They do come out in water though, so as the todd says an umbrella is essential unless you want to look stupid- even dermmatch starts coming off when it REALLY rains.
I just wash my hair before going to bed to get rid of any fibres & dermmatch, takes 5 minutes and I like being clean and relaxed to go to sleep :)

Colin297- everyone calls them fibres even though they are so small they look like a powder. Good tip about the half dry hair thing though, I've always believed the company when they said apply them dry- I'll experiment tomorrow!

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Interestingly they do say it only comes off when you shampoo, but I'm sure Lee will agree, with Nano, when you wet hair in shower it comes out before the shampoo bit just with water. If I remember rightly one of the others doesn't actually come out until the shampoo bit.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I use dermatch and Nanogen and when I put my head under a shower the water runs clear and it also looks ok in the mirror. :dunno:
Its only with shampoo that the stuff comes off in my experience.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Interesting, Nano always comes out with water alone. even when sprayed well.
What spray hold do you use?

Saf, what are the benefits of using Derma with Nano? Is that not just a colouring stick paint type thing,

s.a.f

Reaction score
I dont use any spray at all !!!! Never have done the static alone seems to work ok for a few days.
I put the dermatch on the hairs first to coat them and thicken them, then I just shake on the nano.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Really? I'm amazed. I can touch my hair after and even after spray it will come out

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It must be the Derma, because I use spray and that stuff pours out with water before Shampoo has gone anywhere near it. Supermillion, you only have to sneeze for that stuff to come out, and it comes out in little ball shaped lumps, not just the black sand you get in the shower, but lumps too.

Will derma help with colour? Med brown is too light and Dark Brown is too dark with the fibres. Anyone else have that prob?

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
Toppik is awful. Try Nanogen. It looks more natural and stays in your hair.

halpmeplease

Reaction score
I've never tried any concealer, but it looks like nanogen and toppik each have a good amount of fans. I guess I'll buy both and try them both out and see what looks best.

Can other people see this in your hair? Like will someone who is standing behind me in line or close to my head notice something weird going on with my hair?