Toppik, Couvre, Dermatch or Prothik??

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I am thinking to use a cosmetic to hide the thinning at hair line. What do u suggest..out of these 4 cosmetics which one works best for hair line?
Your responses will be appreciated.
Thanks

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
I've tried both toppik and dermmatch. I don't like the results with toppik. Dermmatch is pretty good. It took a little practice on the application technique but once you get the technique down it's fairly easy to apply. As for the hairline, you apply it above the hairline where the hair is thicker and "fade/blend" it forward into the thinner hairline area.

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok,

I got prothik today and tried it out. This comes in a spray can. This compares with toppik (a dry powder) which can either be sprinkled on with a "pepper shaker" lid or with the optional sprayer attachment. Dermmatch is more like makeup. It comes in a shallow tin can (like shoe polish) and you spread it on with the supplied applicators (like small foam paint brushes).

Application of Dermmatch is the easiest for me to control and fine tune. It also stays put after it dries. It not only colors the scalp to remove the scalp/hair contrast, but also coats and thickens the hair. The other two tend to smear, spread, leave comb tracks on your scalp and forehead.

I have a hard time applying all 3 to the vertex of my scalp. To see what I am doing I need to use a hand mirror reflecting off the wall mirror. I can't figure out what is right/left and up/down while I'm doing it and I tend to make a mess.

My guess is that if you can coordinate your hand motion looking in 2 mirrors, the toppik and prothik would be useful for thinning at the top/back of the scalp; but not the hairline.

Even with dermmatch, you have to be careful around the hairline, but at least up front I'm only looking in one mirror, and can coordinate my movements and I can vary the density of the application to get natural, undetectable coverage.

I haven't tried couvre yet. It sounds similar to dermmatch, but I'm satisfied with the Dermmatch so I'm going to stick with that.

Good luck.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the advice mate..i will try out dermatch. I assume its not available in stores..only through some online shop. Anyways..i will do a google search and look for it. :)

Devil_Smoker

Reaction score
any news on dermatch ? i use it and am pretty satisfied with the results, the only thing is the whole color matching....but they send you a free second color which is pretty cool !!!

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered dark brown and black on my first order. I then requested a small sample of medium brown to test it out, and they sent it to me right away for free.

Devil_Smoker

Reaction score
have you had any comments from friends or anyone noticing your
" thicker appearing hair ". i know that when i used it i had some comments on my hair seeming darker, because i didn't have the proper color matching....even to this day i still cannot figure out the proper color, either i go to light or to dark.....i ordered the dark brown and light brown and have tried predominantly dark which appeared to dark and vice versa. i find also that its slightly a hassle to use cause it takes a long time to use. also i gel my hair so i gotta wait for this stuff to dry beefore doing so. its one of those special occasion "remedies"...... let me know how it goes when you use it

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
You can blend the colors to get any gradation between shades and use different shades in different areas if necessary.

No one has ever noticed that I have put something on. I don't think anyone really cares how it looks except me. When I use it, I only use it up front, mostly behind my hairline and fade the color forward. I try not to apply it to heavily. I think it is more natrual looking if you apply it lightly and selectively. It is also useful for covering scalp scars. I don't bother putting it on the vertex because my vertex isn't that terrible and I can't coordinate my hand movements looking in 2 mirrors simultaneously.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was checking out the shades in dermatch. I have black hair, and that black shade of dermatch..it seems like a black paint. I was just imagining myself..with that paint on my scalp..how would i look. :shock:
Should i use black or brownish shade?

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
nexus81,

They recommend matching the color of your hair roots, which you say is black. On the first order they allow a second color free to make sure you get the right shade, so specify dark brown for your second color.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I like the trick which you do. Manually combining the two shades to give the most natural colour of the scalp.
My question is...should i go for the color of the scalp of the color of the hair?
Color of scalp means more scalp visible and color of hair means a black paint..
correct me if im wrong. You are experienced! :roll:

Devil_Smoker

Reaction score
i've had dermatch for about a year and the idea is to cover up balding areas the more scalp you cover the better, therefore you should go for the color of the hair, that way it looks like you have thicker hair. but i think its different for everyone. experiment until you find what works best for you....it took a bit of time before i got it. you refer to it as paint, think of your scalp/head as the canvas....try different things and colors until you get the results you want.

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
nexus81

Yes, this does take practice. Practice at times (like at night or just before a shower) when if you screw it up, no one has to see it. Generally you want to match the hair roots. But where the hair is very thin and especially in the hairline, you do better both blending (fading, that is, progressively decreasing the density of application) and progressively lightening the color as you approach those exceptionally thin areas. Think of it as makeup, not paint.

The Dude

Reaction score
I've had pretty good results with toppik, although it's not as good for the hairline. I do use it at the hairline, you just have to get good at tapping it just right and working towards the hairline.

Here's my strategy: I get out of the shower and brush my hair back. I apply toppik to the thinnes areas. (it will absorb some of the water so it's best to do this right out of the shower). Then when the white thinning scalp areas are toppiked, I then apply the styling gel and style at will. It works really well.

beast

Established Member
Reaction score
DO NOT get toppik. i've had mine spotted under bright lights. it's very, very embaressing. i thought nobody could see it, i was wrong.

beast

Established Member
Reaction score
the best consealer for baldness has been, and always will be, a HAT!!!

Hpower

Established Member
Reaction score
I like Courve, never tried Toppik.

After a shower I lightly dry my hair then apply it with the foam applicator. I usually blot it on my thin spots, spread it a little, gel, style, then done.

It took a while to actually use it, but after I did I was thrilled. This stuff is great :) I recommend it strongly!

Hpower

Established Member
Reaction score
BTW,

I'm 26, and with Courve, I'm good for at lease 5-7 more years, (if my regimen doesnt work.)

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
beast said:
DO NOT get toppik. i've had mine spotted under bright lights. it's very, very embaressing. i thought nobody could see it, i was wrong.

What did the person who spotted it say? Was it a balding dude who would know what it was?

Anyways that's why I use toppik and couvre... not too much of either. You can't be too ambitious with either. Be realistic about what you're trying to cover up.

MH

beast

Established Member
Reaction score
Molecular Help said:
beast said:

What did the person who spotted it say? Was it a balding dude who would know what it was?

Anyways that's why I use toppik and couvre... not too much of either. You can't be too ambitious with either. Be realistic about what you're trying to cover up.

MH

A girl from worked starred at my hair and said "you have soem dust in your hair." It didnt help I was under a bright light, and was new to toppik.