Topical spironolactone Once A Day?

davidferrie

Reaction score
i believe there is a general consensus that minoxidil can be applied once daily and the effectiveness is only mildly diminished. is this also true with spironolactone? i'm using 5% cream...ideas?

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
Its hard to say for sure. I believe Dr. Lee and Dr. Proctor have both said that spironolactone once/day is still effective - to a lesser extent.

spironolactone rapidly converts to weaker antiandrogens once it aborbs into the stratum corneum. I dont think anyone knows how long it stays active on the androgen receptors once absorbed, but I doubt its a very long time.

I think a person's response to spironolactone probably depends on the aggressiveness of their male pattern baldness. If you are a slow male pattern baldness progessor, then even using spironolactone once a day and giving your follicles an approximate 5-6hour rest from DHT binding might make a difference. If you are agressive, then you'd probably have to use spironolactone at least twice a day along with propecia. Remember, even propecia only reduces DHT by around 40% in the scalp but its still effective. It stands to reason that if spironolactone can reduce DHT binding by 70%(its affinity) for a short period of time, then it should have some beneficial effect, even when used once daily.

this is all my own rantings, i have no studies to back it up.

Trilidon

Established Member
Reaction score
I heard spironolactone was effective for up to 4 hours topically...

Can't remember where I read it though ;\

Azelic azic I would like to know more about though wonder what the half life on that is, if its really that effective at all ;P