Topical Progesterone And Dht Is It Safe/effective?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I bet your French could be very good. I am a French grammar nazi, forgive me.
I liked Elle. Paul Verhoeven is good ;)
You could watch La maman et la putain. Great conversations in this movie.

I'll look into it thank you.

Did you realize that there are at least two different interpretations of Elle?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, Elle is a word you can read in both directions ;)

A palindrome :) I hadn't noticed but yes that fits the movie and it's Verhoeven's filmography in general. I should rewatch all of his movies.

A comment I read online is that the movie opens with something silly: a rapist hiding between the bushes. That's not how rape typically happens and thus the movie is playing dumber than it is by showing something that at first glance appears dumb.

In hindsight it's clever to cast an extremely good looking actor to play the son.

Isabelle Huppert for best actress.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Merci Parisienne ;)

But are you under CA currently? How long did you take it?

Girl, I know this thing is sh** but what else can I do? :( I am despear here and not willing to give up yet. I am fucked up!

My plan is to take 50 mg for about 6 months the time to have regrowth (ahahaha so much hope) than lower the dose little by little, it may be the way of not having a bad "effet rebond". I saw that on the website Missfrottis, you may check it.

PCOS diet may be a good idea.

Let me know about e3 lady :)

Ravie de faire ta connaissance :)
Ravie aussi, tu es d'où?
Je suis française mais je vis à l'étranger.

I have been taking CA since 4 years. My gynecologist agreed to prescribe it to me for stupid late teen acne. It's insane in my opinion, we should be given CA only where nothing else works.
Do you have PCOS? Adrenal problems? Other symptoms than hair loss? CA is only masking the problems.. And I think that 6 months of course will be less weakening for your receptors than 4 years. But still, I think that when you stop it everything comes back.

Anyway I'll let you know about that,and everything else I can find that can be of interest for us both :)

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
OH MY GOD!!!! We missed you dear!!! how are you? I am doing much better than last year. finally getting my sh*t together despite my bird's nest. :D
Heheheh I missed you too! I'm not posting here anymore, because unlike last year now I started a very demanding program at uni and I'm living like a motherfucking nun. Glad to hear that your mood improve :D

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ravie aussi, tu es d'où?
Je suis française mais je vis à l'étranger.

I have been taking CA since 4 years. My gynecologist agreed to prescribe it to me for stupid late teen acne. It's insane in my opinion, we should be given CA only where nothing else works.
Do you have PCOS? Adrenal problems? Other symptoms than hair loss? CA is only masking the problems.. And I think that 6 months of course will be less weakening for your receptors than 4 years. But still, I think that when you stop it everything comes back.

Anyway I'll let you know about that,and everything else I can find that can be of interest for us both :)

May I ask, what is your current regimen? how is your progress?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know everything comes back :(
I am skinny but was diagnosed borderline pcos. May have adrenal problems... what are the symptos?
Do you think some diet could be enough to solve the problem? I have quit smoking, coffee (still drink some), change my diet, but I did not see real improvments...
My plan was to try having some regrowths with CA, then lower it slowly and try to keep the regrowths... but I know, almost no women ever managed to keep the hair she had gained with CA... But I am different and clever so I will figure it out ! LOLOLOL

I live in Paris ;) Thought you lived here too. Good luck on your studies mademoiselle.

Here is a super interesting article :

Hypersensitivity to a normal amount of androgen
A slightly more perplexing cause of excess androgens is an apparent hypersensitivity of the androgen receptor. This is the diagnosis when there are high androgen symptoms but normal levels of androgens on a blood test. When hair loss is the main symptom, androgen hypersensitivity is called androgenic (or androgenetic) alopecia.

Androgen hypersensitivity is said to be genetic, but that explanation is not very satisfactory because previous generations of young women did not suffer as much hair loss as we see today.

There are other explanations:

1. Birth control (progestins) with a high-androgen index (discussed above).
  2. Inflammation at the androgen receptor, as explored in this 2011 research.
  3. Elevated prolactin which up-regulates the 5-alpha reductase enzyme (causing more activation of testosterone to DHT).
Treatment of birth control induced androgenic alopecia is to avoid birth control with a high-androgen index.

Treatment of inflammation hypersensitivity of the androgen receptor is to reduce chronic inflammation by 1) Not smoking, 2) Avoiding inflammatory foods such as sugar, wheat, and dairy products, 3) Eating anti-inflammatory vegetables (phytonutrients improve female hair loss), 4) Reestablishing healthy intestinal bacteria, 5) Supplementing with the anti-inflammatory mineral zinc, and 6) Optimising progesterone, because progesterone has a natural anti-androgen effect.

Treatment of prolactin-induced DHT excess is the herbal medicine Vitex.

Adrenal androgen excess
Your adrenal glands make about 50 percent of your total androgens. You can estimate how much androgen is coming from your adrenal glands by measuring a hormone called dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S) on a blood test. If only DHEA-S is elevated, but testosterone and androstenedione are normal, then you have predominantly adrenal androgen excess. If you have DHEA-S, testosterone, and androstenedione are all elevated, then you have ovarian androgen excess (discussed below).

One cause of adrenal androgen excess is a relatively common genetic condition called non-classic (or late-onset) congenital adrenal hyperplasia (NCAH), which is diagnosed by a blood test for a hormone called 17-OH-progesterone.

Another cause of adrenal androgen excess is elevated prolactin.

Treatment of congenital adrenal hyperplasia is low dose hydrocortisone to down-regulate adrenal androgen production. Interestingly, low-dose hydrocortisone was also historically used to treat PCOS and is still used by some doctors today.

Adrenal androgen excess is also the key feature in about 20 percent of women diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Predominantly adrenal-androgen PCOS is quite a different condition from ovarian-androgen PCOS (see below), in that it is not driven by insulin resistance or underlying conditions that impair ovulation. It is driven by factors that affect the adrenal glands, such as stress. I truly hope that PCOS’s upcoming name change will distinguish between adrenal-androgen PCOS and ovarian-androgen PCOS, and therefore save us all a lot of confusion.

Proposed causes of adrenal-androgen PCOS include genetics and stress around the time of puberty. I strongly suspect that endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) also play a role, but that research is still in its infancy.

Treatment of adrenal-androgen PCOS is to normalize adrenal function. This is probably the type of PCOS that responded to the low-dose cortisone historically prescribed for PCOS. Adrenal-androgen PCOS also responds to stress-reduction, and to hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) regulating supplements such as magnesium, phosphatidylserine, and Rhodiola. Adrenal-androgen PCOS may also require androgen blocking supplements such as diindolylmethane (DIM). For a full discussion of adrenal-androgen PCOS, please see Fiona McCulloch’s post: Treating adrenal androgen excess.

Treatment of adrenal androgen excess caused by elevated prolactin is with the herbal medicine Vitex.

Ovarian androgen excess
Now we come to a condition that is synonymous with androgen excess in women: Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). The key defining feature of PCOS is ovulatory dysfunction, and the over-production of testosterone and androstenedione by the ovaries.

PCOS is not an ovarian disease per se. The ovulatory dysfunction is an expression or symptom of a larger set of underlying hormonal and metabolic problems such as insulin resistance and inflammation.

But don’t ovarian cysts cause PCOS?
Polycystic ovarian syndrome got its name from the way ovaries look on ultrasound. You would be forgiven then for thinking the small multiple follicles cause the condition, but they don’t. They are simply an indicator that ovulation did not occur that month. Any woman can have polycystic ovaries on occasion, including a woman on the pill, and a woman with perfectly normal hormones. Don’t be misdiagnosed by an ultrasound. See the Surprising Truth About PCOS.

Is PCOS genetic?
Yes, genes play a role in PCOS, as does exposure to androgens or environmental toxins in utero. That is a depressing thought because it might mean you were born with the condition. It doesn’t work like that. A genetic tendency does not mean you will always suffer the symptoms. You can modify your genetic expression with diet, lifestyle, and other natural treatments.

Treatment of ovarian-androgen PCOS is to correct the underlying insulin resistance (or other metabolic problem) and thereby reestablish regular ovulation. That usually means quitting sugar, and using insulin-sensitising supplements such as myo-inositol, magnesium, and berberine. Exercise and the diabetic drug metformin are also helpful. Non-insulin-resistant types of PCOS can benefit from the androgen-reducing herbal formula Peony & Licorice.

Source http://www.larabriden.com/causes-androgen-excess-in-women/

To diagnose these stuff, we need to do our hormone panels without interference from CA, spironolactone, Duta, 17-b-estradiol and all that.

I'm not taking all natural stuff like a bible, I know that there are many many bogus supplements and fake doctors and homeopathy is sh*t. What I like with Lara Briden is that she adds valuable sources to her assumptions. Ofc not every study on pubmed is trustworthy neither; but it's at least worth taking into consideration. I don't know if diet can solve everything but it sure as f*** helps, because some hormones are produced by adipose tissue, and the kind of adipose tissue we have is influenced by what we eat.

I have somewhere a list of studies I posted on an women's hormonal health fb group. I'll try to find it, maybe you can find useful stuff for you :)

Et merci beaucoup :*

Last edited:

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
May I ask, what is your current regimen? how is your progress?

Hey, I am currently taking 50mg of CA + ethinyl estradiol (half of my prescribed dose)
Also, flaxseed every day that killed my shedding (from 80 hair a day to 30 max).
And I don't know the product you linked but will investigate it :)

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, thank you girl :)

I don't eat sugar and I supplement in magnesium ;)

Though, in my case, I am starting to think there is an underlaying issue. My overall hair are very weak and thin... I think it is not just Androgenetic Alopecia. I am also often exhausted and have water retention...
I think I may have lupus, even though "it's never lupus" (dr House)...

I have been doing lots of medical exams cause I have weird electric pains for months... I keep asking to check lupus, but they say "no, probably not lupus". Doctors are morons IMO.

You're welcome. Yes they are complete morons. I asked for being tested for pcos and they said "nah you're skinny you don't have it". THANKS BRO.
I hope you find a comprehensive one that accepts to let you do the tests. Sometimes; an informed patient knows much more and is more updated on current research than you average Doctor sitting on his diploma.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, thank you girl :)

I don't eat sugar and I supplement in magnesium ;)

Though, in my case, I am starting to think there is an underlaying issue. My overall hair are very weak and thin... I think it is not just Androgenetic Alopecia. I am also often exhausted and have water retention...
I think I may have lupus, even though "it's never lupus" (dr House)...

I have been doing lots of medical exams cause I have weird electric pains for months... I keep asking to check lupus, but they say "no, probably not lupus". Doctors are morons IMO.

Did you ever have a scalp biopsy?

Too rule out anything auto immune?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, I am currently taking 50mg of CA + ethinyl estradiol (half of my prescribed dose)
Also, flaxseed every day that killed my shedding (from 80 hair a day to 30 max).
And I don't know the product you linked but will investigate it :)

What does the Flaxseed do? do you take it in oil or grain form?
I have a bottle of Flaxseeed Oil i rarely use it in smoothies I had no idea it helps hair.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nop... but I will talk to my dorm about it ;)

They may be able to tell if you have Telogen Effluvium or a combination of things.

They can also tell if you have inflammation inside follicle. I had a little bit at first they thought i had Areata because of this so they did a second one and compared and figures out it was Angrogenic.

cocohot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. Yes they are complete morons. I asked for being tested for pcos and they said "nah you're skinny you don't have it". THANKS BRO.
I hope you find a comprehensive one that accepts to let you do the tests. Sometimes; an informed patient knows much more and is more updated on current research than you average Doctor sitting on his diploma.

Glad you're back.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
What does the Flaxseed do? do you take it in oil or grain form?
I have a bottle of Flaxseeed Oil i rarely use it in smoothies I had no idea it helps hair.

Hey Hairblues :) I have a couple of studies on the testosterone reducing potential of flaxseed seed components. It's not easy to me to copy them here as I'm on my phone but I can do so later if you want.
In the studies they don't use oil but grounded seeds which I'm using too. I don't really know if the oil has the exact same properties.

cocohot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How's your hair doing cocohot? Hoping for good news from your part :)

lol I'm still bald, not quite slick though, that's as positive as I can be.