Topical monolaurin enhances absorption

Jacob

Reaction score
Due to its transdermal properties, it is indicated that Colonial Monolaurin will improve the performance of the patch type delivery systems coming into vogue today. Further, Monolaurin should improve the penetration of lidocaine, capcaisin and similar actives used to relieve discomfort caused by teething, gum pain, cold sores and muscular aches.

Numerous papers site the improved transdermal penetration of drugs using Colonial Monolaurin. The addition of 10% Colonial Monolaurin can give a five-fold improvement in the drug's transdermal penetration.

Another abstract of record suggests that Colonial Monolaurin demonstrates the effective promotion of topically applied drugs in the treatment of psoriasis by providing better topical adsorption with reduced loss of the relevant active. Colonial Monolaurin could make treatments less irritating, easier to apply, and more cost effective by extending product usage.

It has always been known that higher the monoglyceride content, the better the emulsification properties. In addition, the fatty acid composition of this unique product has been peaked to give greater than 98% lauric acid, resulting in a very pure glyceryl monolaurate that is available nowhere else.

In a healing type ointment, Colonial Monolaurin can contribute to the promotion of wound healing through the reduction of advantageous bacteria. Any ointment of this type aimed at burns, bites and cuts, will be enhanced.

The pdf on the hair/scalp conditioner states:
Colonial Monolaurin will help maintain a healthy scalp and minimize itch and scaling
caused by excessive dryness. It is also a delivery system for gamma linolenic acid, an
essential fatty acid for normalizing skin

Some more on monolaurin I've posted in the past..that make monolaurin, imo, a good topical ingred:

For four years, monolaurin, in a continuing product stability study including post-market studies, has been found to successfully preserve a hypoallergenic cosmetic line of products, using no other preservatives, except this emollient ingredient (Verallo-Rowell and Moya, 2007).

All these papers confirm what initially was truly surprising: that on human skin, monolaurin is an antiseptic with broad-spectrum effects. A second surprise was its novel mechanism of action that sets it apart from other currently used antibiotics (Carpo et al, 2007).

Zinc oxide is a gold standard treatment for diaper dermatitis (DD) and irritant contact dermatitis (ICD). Last year, a resident’s award-winning RCT showed pure VCO better than zinc oxide in the treatment of DD (Martires, Montinola, Dizon,2006). Another study with similar results has just been finished using a more elegant preparation of VCO combined with zinc oxide for DD. This product also has potential use as a barrier to use in other irritant contact dermatitis, or for decubitus and other skin ulcers (Tiosudarmin and Verallo-Rowell, 2007).

Jacob

Reaction score
Ended up purchasing that "Dandruff Defense"..used it this morning. It's like water, so it could easily be used as a topical(they even say to rinse lightly..even so that some remains on the scalp). I think from now on I'll towel dry my hair and then apply it like a topical...let it sit for a good 5-10 minutes..then rinse if I'll be using a topical or just leave it on if I'm not. The bottle will last me a looooong time that way.

Reminded me of Inflamil..how it felt on my scalp. Noticed it for quite some time after rinsing as well. Some of you ACV fans may be interested in this..no vinegar smell either :shock: