Topical Finasteride study / Question for Bryan

amsch

Reaction score
Hey there.

I recently saw that topical finasteride study.

1997 JOURNAL Of DERMATOLOGICAL TREATMENT 8(3):189-192
mazzarella f; Loconsole f; Cammisa A; Mastrolonardo M; Vena GA
Topical finasteride in the treatment of androgenic alopecia. Preliminary evaluations after a 16-month therapy course

Topical fINASTERIDE has potential in the treatment of androgenic alopecia, report researchers from Italy. In this pilot study, 52 patients (28 men) with androgenic alopecia applied a topical finasteride 0.005% solution (n=26), or vehicle (26), twice daily for 16 months. Journal of Dermatological Treatment 8: 189-192, Sep 1997

They used a typical vehicle of 50% ethanol, 25% propylene glycol, and 25% water. The results were measured (in part) by taking monthly photographs, and then comparing the photos at the end of the 16-month trial. The photos were graded on the following scale:

5 Complete restoration of hair density
4 Marked reduction of balding area(s)
3 Slight reduction of balding area(s)
2 No change compared to baseline
1 Slight enlargement of balding area(s)
0 Marked enlargement of balding area(s)

Here is the paragraph from their "Evaluation of hair regrowth" section:

"During the first 3 months of the trial, the clinical response was not significant. The scores for hair regrowth ranged from 1 to 2 with no significant difference between the two study groups. By contrast, throughout the subsequent course of the study a significant improvement in the status of the scalp hair was observed among the finasteride-treated patients. At the end of the study, the clinical results were scored 4 in 12 patients and 3 in the remaining 14. Response to treatment was substantiated by both an increase in the hair density at the periphery of balding areas and a progressive, though slow and incomplete retrieval of the hair texture within previously bare sites. Patients initially grew vellus-type hair that tended to change to thicker, pigmented terminal hair as the clinical response progressed. As for the group receiving placebo, only ten patients were evaluable at the end of the study. The high number of dropouts was a result of the lack of any improvement in the status of the scalp hair. These results were scored as follows: 2 in three patients, 1 in three patients and 0 in four patients."

"Of the 52 patients enrolled, 36 (69.2%) completed the entire study period. Notably, all dropouts occurred in the placebo group after 1 to 10 months. Moreover, the overall tolerability of the treatment was excellent. No patient experienced any local or systemic untoward effect. In particular, in the finasteride group laboratory data indicated revealed no relevant change in plasma levels of total testosterone, free testosterone or dihydrotestosterone. On the basis of these findings any significant percutaneous absorption of the drug could reasonably be excluded."

The question is: Has there been any similar study with a similar dosage that showed that the effects of topical finasteride were only due to systematic absorption? This study says that the results were pretty much only local, no significant changes in serum levels. Bryan?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
amsch said:
The question is: Has there been any similar study with a similar dosage that showed that the effects of topical finasteride were only due to systematic absorption? This study says that the results were pretty much only local, no significant changes in serum levels. Bryan?

I can't think of any human study which showed that the results of topical finasteride were due to systemic absorption, although the Chen et al study with topical flutamide and finasteride in hamsters clearly demonstrated such a thing.

On the other hand, there was a human study with topical finasteride which showed no results at all for the hair (a slight worsening of haircounts, in fact), despite having blood DHT reduced by almost 40%. That shows a systemic effect, even if it wasn't a GOOD systemic effect! :dunno:

amsch

Reaction score
Bryan said:
amsch said:

I can't think of any human study which showed that the results of topical finasteride were due to systemic absorption, although the Chen et al study with topical flutamide and finasteride in hamsters clearly demonstrated such a thing.

On the other hand, there was a human study with topical finasteride which showed no results at all for the hair (a slight worsening of haircounts, in fact), despite having blood DHT reduced by almost 40%. That shows a systemic effect, even if it wasn't a GOOD systemic effect! :dunno:
Well, what to believe now? :(

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
amsch said:
Well, what to believe now? :(

I've only been saying for YEARS that you can't draw any conclusions about topical finasteride, because of all those conflicting results.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
KeyserSoza said:
So whats your take on xandrox plus then Bryan?

I think it's a poor product. In particular, Dr. Lee's own advertising blurb for it is weird almost to the point of being bizarre, in my opinion.

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never seen anyone in this or any other forum reporting results from topical finasteride (and not taking the drug orally). It's a bit weird, since many discontinue the pill because sides and this may be a good alternative.

I've never read any negative report either. :dunno:

floydian

Reaction score
guybrush said:
I've never seen anyone in this or any other forum reporting results from topical finasteride (and not taking the drug orally). It's a bit weird, since many discontinue the pill because sides and this may be a good alternative.

I've never read any negative report either. :dunno:

I'm using it...(3 weeks) I make my own "cocktail" :) . 0,0625 mg/ ml(minoxidil 5%) twice a day. I used the oral version(0,5 mg), but caused me brain fog and testicle pain, less libido etc... The topical version is COMPLETELY SIDE FREE at this SMALL DOSE, but I think it's very effective because of the LOCAL mechanism. I see some new small hairs. I dont see any SIDES however my body is very sensitive for the finasteride. The 0,5mg oral finasteride was not better for my hair. I think that the topical finasteride is more focused as the oral.(I see that)

I will write and take some pictures in my story topic.

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well done mate, I look forward to seeing if it works for you. However, take into account 3 weeks is a extremely short time to draw any conclusions about a finasteride treatment.

KeyserSoza

Established Member
Reaction score
Can i ask why Bryan? Your opinion is highly regarded.

Even if you discount the finasteride surely 15% minoxidil itself must be pretty effective.