Topical dutasteride - strong, too strong - my experiences so far

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
having read this I think maybe it should be in the personal stories section, there is a lot of bg info that you may want to skip. Anyway just wanted to share my limited but interesting experiences ith topical dutasteride and I think it helps to know how I 've reacted to other stuff in the past. Hope it helps someone.
I quit quartered proscar about August last year due to sexual sides that had been going on way too long really. I decided to go for fluridil as the most promising in a very small lineup of products that might work as purely topical antiandrogens. Was scared about a big shed but eager to have a more normal sex drive. After quitting I was surprised how little effect it seemed to have in the libido department. At the same time fluridil seemed to be keeping the hair on my head. It was only after one to two months that things started to pick up sexually and I began to remember all that I had been missing the last few years on finasteride. However by about the end of the second month it seemed like hair loss was beginning to keep pace with th increase in sexual appetite. Being a little OCD (a not uncommon thing on this site it seems) I decided to comb my hair over the sink every night and count how many hairs fell out, with an eye to the "50-100 every day" rule of thumb and bearing in mind that I must be losing more at other times during the day. My hair being longish its pretty easy to see the fallout. Anyway for three straight nights I managed to comb out around 60 hairs. It seemed like if I kept combing I could get more but by that stage I just didnt want to know. But it was undeniable that I was shedding. I didnt want to go running back to finasteride because it is pretty hard to go back from wanting and enjoying sex again just as it was pretty damn hard to go from having pretty solid hair to shedding and the associated freakout. What to f%^ing do? Sex or hair? Seems it comes down to this question for too many of us.
Anyway I still had a couple of caps of dutasteride around from a few years back when I had jumped on the drug for 4-8 months or so. 0.25 mg EOD. Or 0.5mg every 4 days. Oral dutasteride was an absolute KO for my libido. I could watch p**rn without any desire to masturbate like some kind of fricking Vulcan and errections were extremely weak if present at all. Which made for some embarassing moments. There was more than a little gyno creeping in also. But my hair in this period was awesome. It was thick, I could abuse it and it wouldnt fall out. In short it was like woman-hair.
At any rate, somewhat desperate and frantic, I decided to empty a cap into a cap into a glass of vodka and chucked the crap on my head. The next night I managed to comb out 12 hairs from my head. Seemed like a pretty dramatic effect. I kept it up for a week but sides forced me to try exposing it to the scalp for only 30 mins. From haircounts it seemed a little less effective but its hard to tell whats doing what when you only stopped oral finasteride a couple of months ago. Still that somewhat dramatic drop in shedding (happening after only 12-20 or so hours made me pretty suspicous but I was pretty thorough about it all) seemed a clear sign that it was working. As was the pain in my nuts and chest.
Anyway I chucked it in cos it seemed so impractical to apply this stuff wait 30 mins, count how many hairs were falling out and it just wasn't that practical when sleeping over somewhere else. So went back to finasteride for awhile. All libido went away pretty much fom the getgo but at least I didnt have to wonder whether the stuff was maintaining my hair anymore.
Round Xmas I chucked the finasteride and went for a topical approach with various things including some topical finasteride. Libido began to creep back after a couple of weeks but this time there seemed to be exponentially more hassle with stuff gumming up my hair, time taken to apply, carrying all this stuff around while holidaying with friends where there was little privacy. And a few days ago it seemed undeniablre that I was starting to shed again.
So the other day I reached for some more dutasteride I had ordered last year. Once again the vehicle was pretty much vodka. 0.25mg dutasteride/70ml. So about a 0.00035 - 0.0004% solution. Not much at all you would think.
Two nights in a row I have applied this to my scalp and today I feel like I have been punched in the balls.
Maybe its just me. i am amazed that some people can talk about taking 2.5 mg of dutasteride every day let alone 0.5mg and have any kind of sex life. Others around here seem positively offended and or angered when someone complains of having any kind of sides from 5ar inhibition. As if its contagious or something.
If I can reach some kind of dosage where the manly bits stay reasonably manly and the scalp stays reasonably hairy I will be happy. Due to the resilience of this stuff I would not feel that freaked about missing a day hear ot there or only having it on for a little while before everyone decides to go swimming and all those other situations that crop up. Conversely there is the though that due to the long half life, the sides could take a while to fully manifest and then even quitting cold might leave me kinda screwed for awhile.
I'm not rich by any means but I've even been looking at the RU threads and seriously considering jumping on that ship. Peace of mind is a avluable commodity and while many can lose hair gracefully it doesn't seem to be something I can do.
For the moment however I'm gonna mess around with topical dutasteride, (along with some topical antioxidants and so forth) and see if by changing dosage, dosing frequency and skin contact time i can find something that works for me.
So for those who wonder whether topical dutasteride can actually penetrate the scalp I would have to say all too easily, at least for me, as my testicles can unhappily attest. Can it stop hairloss? I think so going by the sudden decline in fallout I experienced earlier. (Its not a trichogram I know but i think its a little more to go on then "Its been 40 minutes and my hair definitely looks thicker!"). Can it stop hairloss while reducing the sides I might get from internal use? Dont know yet. I'm gonna try and find out.
hh

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good write up of your experience with topical dutasteride.

You may want to try using a cream based topical carrier for your dutasteride. Using everclear or vodka will allow the topical to enter your blood stream too quickly. It would be just about the same as taking dutasteride orally.

A cream or oil based carrier should allow the dutasteride to slowly be absorbed by your follicles instead of it being dumped into your blood stream quickly.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for caring enough to give us the info. Good luck, and love
Boru

haaribo

Reaction score
good to hear your topical duta story harold, i just started using topical duta myself. I dont use the caps but i use this http://www.cemproducts.com/duus30ml.html. I put 3 ml of it in a 60 ml minoxidil bottle. I read the posts by collegechemistrystudent he says you can use such a low dose. Maybe its better a use topical duta with a cream or oil because it can stay on your head longer that way. Maybe the 5% topical spironolactone cream by dr lee will be a good choise to mix it with? Does anyone else have any thoughts about it?

j3nate

Established Member
Reaction score
interesting, reading Harold's story is like reviewing my life for the last 4 years. Exactly the same for the most part, finasteride worked for me for awhile then stopped, now on topical dutasteride, all of it gave me sides. I'm also using xandrox.

I have played around with the topical dutasteride formula with aloe, but no matter the concentration, i just can't keep hair with no sexual sides. I've already ordered RU from faitheagle and it should be here in a few days. We'll see if that can take the place of dutasteride.

If that is not sufficient, I'll try the applepoly products, a few here have said it is good.

Simultaneously I'll be taking DIM to combat the excess estradiol conversiion from dutasteride.

I think the key is to not lose hope no matter what and try one new product at a time, if it works keep it, if it doesn't drop and look elsewhere.

T

Timi

dutasteride Topisch

Hello Harold

My English is to bad can you say me this short
is dutasteride Topik
Good ore not Good?
i can't read this bad

Thanks
Timi

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: dutasteride Topisch

Timi said:
Hello Harold

My English is to bad can you say me this short
is dutasteride Topik
Good ore not Good?
i can't read this bad

Thanks
Timi

Short answer -I dont know yet. I am only talking good or not good for me. I dont know if its good for you or others.
I hope that was understandable. Let me know if it wasnt.

More details:
Left it on all day for first 2 days and had sides.
Skipped a day and then began to wash it out after 15 mins. 3 days later and I am again getting some testicular ache but the shed that seemed to be coming on last week sems to have stopped also.
May try leaving it on for only a few minutes, kind of like a shampoo. I guess the Double A thing only with a real weak dose and no aloe vehicle.
If I can get this stuff to work for me then it would be a very cheap, pretty painless regimen and I feel I could skip a day here or there if circumstances demand it without undue worry. If not I may be seriously thinking about RU which would be very expensive, regimen and considerably more hassle - something that definitely makes a difference in your life. Especially when you got to take your routine "on the road" around other people. I used to think cutting up proscar pills once every 4 days was a real burden but going the topical route puts it all in perspective.
Still if this works out and i have something cheap and stable that i can just whack on the scalp for a few minutes and wash out when convenient every day with minimal sides then that would be pretty awesome. Its the minimal sides thing that worries me mostly. It seems so incredibly difficult to get strong antiandrogenic effects without significant systemic antiandrogenic effects. Doesn't bother some people but it does me.
hh

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Harie said:
Good write up of your experience with topical dutasteride.

You may want to try using a cream based topical carrier for your dutasteride. Using everclear or vodka will allow the topical to enter your blood stream too quickly. It would be just about the same as taking dutasteride orally.

A cream or oil based carrier should allow the dutasteride to slowly be absorbed by your follicles instead of it being dumped into your blood stream quickly.

Yeah. I have tried to look into the pharmacology of topical drug delivery to the skin but it seems like a real black art at least in terms of learning on the net. Skimmed through one guys phd thesis about trying to maximise drug delivry to hair follicles and what factors worked best but it seemed only to emphasise the idiosyncracy of each particular drug in terms of why some such as ketoconazole can be administered topically quite effectively and others not so much. On top of which half the literature out there is about people trying to get transdermal delivery of drugs wheich is really the opposite of what we/I am trying to achieve.
May try an oilier vehicle. At the moment though I still have quite longish hair so getting a cream through the hair to the scalp is much easier with a lotion. Theres th whole "greasy hair" thing also but for someone so wrapped up in keeping hair I actually dont mind my hair looking somewhat greasy.
Thanks for the suggestions.
hh
hh

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Boru said:
Thanks for caring enough to give us the info. Good luck, and love
Boru

No worries. Will try to update you all for as long as my topical dutasteride experiment goes on.
hh

messmorph

Established Member
Reaction score
I took Oral dutasteride and had the start of gyno / bloat / excess estrogen

I went back to Propecia and everything went back to normal

I tired Topcial dutasteride - Exactly same side effects as oral dutasteride. Side effects happened after same period of time too.

** Topical dutasteride just absorbs into the blood stream anyway **

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There's a thread around here somwhere by Old Baldy where he gives a link to a dutasteride/finasteride transporting agent. It used Octyl Salicylate and alcohol I believe. Muliplied the absorption of topical dutasteride/finasteride by 10x. Supposedly it's slow absorbing too.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
messmorph said:
I took Oral dutasteride and had the start of gyno / bloat / excess estrogen

I went back to Propecia and everything went back to normal

I tired Topcial dutasteride - Exactly same side effects as oral dutasteride. Side effects happened after same period of time too.

How long did it take for sides to appear out of interest?
hh

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all, just thought it was fair to update this thread since one of the things that sucks with threads like this in the archives is omeone will say "i am trying this interesting thing and i think its working!" and then never posts again. So...
basically about the 23rd of Jan, so around 5 to 6 weeks ago I ditched the top dutasteride and jumped backo on the finasteride and added minoxidil for the frst time regularly. The top dutasteride was giving me nutache that never seemed to go away - I think this is due to its slow accumulation in the body. Whereas going on finasteride gives me the testicular pain for a few days before a steady state is reached and it eases off. So that was a big thing. Also the constant worry of "is this actually doing anything or am I going to a lot of trouble to f*** my hair up" began to get to me. finasteride has been tried and true for me and is the reason I have enough hair to worry about losing today. However it is also not so kind on the sexual side of things and is definitely aworse than the 2 month break i had from finasteride and pretty much anything effective when I was on eucapil.
I think I've been through a minoxidil shed which hit me from week 2 to 4 or minoxidil, peaking horribly in one day in week 3 where 200 hairs came easily out of my head with my fingers (yep i counted them all) and things are maybe beginning to stabilise up there. The plan is to wait as long as I am able to get some results and then add an anti-aromatase for the sides and see if there is any shedding or worsening. i tried this at first but abandoned the anti-aromatase as i was pretty sure a minoxidil shed was coming up and i would not be able to tell the effects of minoxidil from any negative effects of the anti-e. So i plan to get some hair growing and then destroy it with more drugs.
hh

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm from the future. Still no hairloss cure here