Topical Castor Oil and Minoxidil

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I actually didn't want to make this thread. However, I've searched over the forum and can't seem to figure out the specifics of topical castor oil application.

I've read somewhere that Minoxidil and Castor oil should not be applied at the same time? I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on how to apply castor oil topically. Does it need 8 hours to absorb into the skin, if so when should it be applied for someone who uses Minoxidil twice a day.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Castor oil on it's own topically is near enough useless, it won't absorb into the skin, you need a vehicle like DMSO/Ethanol/DMI.

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
Castor oil on it's own topically is near enough useless, it won't absorb into the skin, you need a vehicle like DMSO/Ethanol/DMI.

Hmm interesting. Well that brings up further questions, with this topical Castor oil/ vehicle mix how should it be applied in regards to Minoxidil applications?

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I put castor oil on at night and minoxidil in the morning. I do suspect it just sits there and needs a vehicle for absorption as well.

Where can one buy ethanol for cheap? Everclear?

throwaway448

Reaction score
Can you please explain, like the exact process to do this? Are these things readily available and can an idiot mix them?

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Can you please explain, like the exact process to do this? Are these things readily available and can an idiot mix them?

Yes an idiot can mix them, you get a dropper and mix in a 70/30% solution of castor and dmso/ethanol/dmi and then apply it, making sure the skin you apply to is clean. I am going to assume you all are wondering about topical castor because you saw SwissTemples PG protocol. He has a website guys, it has all this info on it, honestly I can't even count how many posts I've seen of people asking stuff like this and if "[x] treatment is effective/useless" etc etc... If treatments like topical castor oil are things you want to incorporate into your regimen then please Before you ask any questions just go read his site in full.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Actually, while going through his website, I found this answer for those who are wondering

[h=1]I thought I read somewhere that you mentioned to not take 2% ketoconazole shampoo if you're on the protocol.. is this correct ? Also what is your methodology /portions when mixing Castor oil and penetrating agents when being applied topically to the scalp? Thanks![/h]Keto can inhibit endogenous pge2 synthesis. If you are on sulfasalazine it would be a step back.
I use 30% dmso 70% castor. Some other use ethanol, some put it in their minoxidil. What we do know now is that you NEED a penetration enhancer. I read a study recently that showed almost no absorption from topical castor alone.

So putting castor oil on after minoxidil can aid in absorption. If you're not going down the minoxidil route, use the 70/30% castor oil and dmso/ethanol/dmi solution as hairloss23 stated.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bruh. High school chemistry..

70mL castor oil + 30mL DMSO/ethanol/Dmi = 100 mL mixture.

You can use that ratio in smaller amounts as well

7mL castor oil + 3 mL DMSO/ethanol/Dmi = 10mL mixture.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Jesus Christ if you wouldn't know how to do that then you shouldn't be using alternative treatments. Just stick to finasteride and minoxidil, they're simple enough for you. We are here to give advice not babysit.

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
lol.

That's interesting and somewhat alarming that ketoconozole and castor oil somewhat counteract each other in swiss' opinion. Ketoconozole is clinically proven and it takes my hair from an itchy mess with lots of dandruff to feeling amazing. Is that the reason why you don't use ketoconozole Hairloss23?

EDIT: or does this ketoconozole suggestion only apply when one it taking sulfasalazine.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Nizoral is a cox inhibitor and topical cox inhibitors are much worse than food/drink that contains it like grapes/coffee. The main reason I don't take Nizoral is because I found it increased my shedding when I used it briefly, admittedly I was using it alongside Minoxidil at the time (another rubbish treatment) but I didn't feel like I needed it then and I don't feel like I need it now so either way it's never making it's way back into my regimen again unless I suddenly get horrendously bad dandruff.

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, could it be possible to use castor oil after aplying the 1ml of mixodidil, so i could like expand the mionoxidil area with out using more of 1ml?
sorry i speak spanish and hard to explain it in english, but the 1ml doesnt cover all the area i want, so when it mixed i could cover more area,

any thought on this?

thanks a lot
regards

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jesus Christ if you wouldn't know how to do that then you shouldn't be using alternative treatments. Just stick to finasteride and minoxidil, they're simple enough for you. We are here to give advice not babysit.
Oh fak off. I run a business that makes video games and generates millions of dollars per year. Yet I suck at maths (I have dyslexia) and was wondering the same thing.

Feel free to not be an elitist douche bag.

vinnievandall

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh fak off. I run a business that makes video games and generates millions of dollars per year. Yet I suck at maths (I have dyslexia) and was wondering the same thing.

Feel free to not be an elitist douche bag.
Thats nice :D if you ever looking for another sounddesigner hit me up

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, do someone know if Castor oil and minoxidil counteract each others? Since pge1 and pge2 can act as antagonists in some ways

Castor oil = pge2 partial agonist
Minoxidil = increase pge1

@pegasus2 what do you think?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, do someone know if Castor oil and minoxidil counteract each others? Since pge1 and pge2 can act as antagonists in some ways

Castor oil = pge2 partial agonist
Minoxidil = increase pge1

@pegasus2 what do you think?

No. PGE1 and PGE2 are both downregulated in balding scalp, they both induce hair growth, and they are both upregulated by minoxidil. The confusion comes from PGE1 being anti-inflammatory, and PGE2 being pro-inflammatory, so people think that's it's going to tear a hole in space-time or something, but it's not. PGE2 can be both pro and anti-inflammatory, but prostaglandins don't induce hair growth through their inflammatory/anti-anflammatory actions. They work by upregulating Wnt signalling and angiogenesis. If it was true that PGE1/2 cancelled each other out then minoxidil wouldn't work.

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No. PGE1 and PGE2 are both downregulated in balding scalp, they both induce hair growth, and they are both upregulated by minoxidil. The confusion comes from PGE1 being anti-inflammatory, and PGE2 being pro-inflammatory, so people think that's it's going to tear a hole in space-time or something, but it's not. PGE2 can be both pro and anti-inflammatory, but prostaglandins don't induce hair growth through their inflammatory/anti-anflammatory actions. They work by upregulating Wnt signalling and angiogenesis. If it was true that PGE1/2 cancelled each other out then minoxidil wouldn't work.
Thank you!

It's very clear now. For what i recall, minoxidil heavily upregulates PGE1 and slightly upregulates PGE2. So in theory it will be beneficial to add castor oil

I am considering oral castor oil 2ml per day)

I doubt that topical castor oil works. Just take few ml orally.

I don't doubt about efficacity of topical castor oil because it worked wonder in the past for my beard and my eyebrows. But since scalp skin is thicker than face skin, it will be less easy for the oil to penetrate and do its job