Top North American hair transplant practices?

JB48

Reaction score
Hello guys

I'm looking to get a hair transplant, hopefully this summer to fix an eroded hairline. It has been maturing, but no balding behind it. I'm 26. I want to get it touched up and straightened out.

I've been in contact with New Hair Institute (LA) which is one possibility. I know more about them than any other as their Dr Rassman runs baldingblog.com, and seems very honest and transparent (as well as very skilled)

Does anyone have experience with them? Are there any others I should consider?

Thank you
JB

shookwun

Reaction score
Hasson & Wong, Arocha, and Rahal.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Charlie Brown

Reaction score

Just checked out his website and was a little turned off by trickery in the the FUE gallery. http://www.arochahairrestoration.com/gallery/fue/

Hair combed one direction in the before pictures (forward in Patient 1 and to the left in Patient 5) and then in another direction in the after pictures (back and to the right). Camera flash manipulation in Patient 6's before picture, Low lighting manipulation in Patient 3's after picture as well as the picture being cropped higher up in the forehead. And the rest of the results are honestly not that impressive and only slightly noticeable improvement (In Patient 2 I wouldn't be able to tell which is the before picture and which is after were it not for the marker. Hair looks the same to me). And these are the best of the best that a doctor uses to showcase on his website. The FUT gallery looks a little better but I don't like what I see in the FUE results. Sorry If I'm coming across as a hater, It just bugs me when I see such obvious manipulation in before and after photos. Why not just take the two photos showing the hair in a similar style and similar lighting with the photos being cropped exactly the same? How can I see the improvement in a patient's thin vertex when the hair is combed back?

EDIT: Ok, I'm an idiot. Didn't realize that I needed to click on the photos to see more pictures and angles of the results where it does show some noticeable improvement in some of the patients. I still don't think the results are anything to write home about in most of the patients and I stand by my claim that the standard and obvious manipulation tactics are being used in these photos (longer hair, combed differently, lighting).

JB48

Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. I will look into these suggestions.

I guess, when it comes to choosing, it just comes down to looking at what is most appealing for you as an individual? In my case it is trying to create a stronger hairline, so I should be looking out for surgeons particularly skilled at creating natural hairlines (rather than full scalp density for example) ?

Any reason not to go for NHI Dr Rassman/Pak?

The problem with galleries is that they all look the same/similar to me, I guess you develop an eye for the work.

Canada seems appealing especially in terms of affordability (pound strong against canadian dollar)

Thanks
JB

crowngarden

Reaction score
JB48, Are you wanting to have FUE or a strip surgery done? I think North America's top doctors are more known for their FUT/strip method surgeries. To mention 2 names that haven't been mentioned yet: Feller and Diep.

JB48

Reaction score
JB48, Are you wanting to have FUE or a strip surgery done? I think North America's top doctors are more known for their FUT/strip method surgeries. To mention 2 names that haven't been mentioned yet: Feller and Diep.

FUE definitely.

Really? I am actually based in UK, and have been advised in the past to go to Europe/North America for FUE because we don't have any good practices here for it!

Thanks

crowngarden

Reaction score
Do some research on Dr. Lorenzo in Spain. That's who I'm considering going to. His results stand on their own. Hasson and Wong are considered the best doctors in North America by many people. They chose Dr. Lorenzo as on one of the doctors to learn the FUE technique from.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score

Feller is bad at FUE imo. "Ok" at FUT. Shady guy though. Has apparently threatened to sue his own patients who came out forward with their (bad) results online etc.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
And tricked that guy into having a hair transplant with him only to leave him with a colleague and blackmailed him during procedure when the guy objected. Don't know what happened to that case, it was over on hair transplant network.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus he still has some slimy videos of how FUT is still superior and how nothing heals like scalp so it's ok to have bad *** scars on your head.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't Dr. Cole from USA or Canada? As I can remember I've been told that he improved FUE with his tools.

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't trust my scalp in the hands of Dr. Cole. I have heard one too many sketchy things about him as well.

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hasson & Wong, Arocha, and Rahal.
California

I contacted Hasson & Wong twice for repair work due to a botched hair transplant by a very expensive and "world renowned" hair transplant doctor in Southern California and they never replied. Also they just started doing FUE a year ago so don't have much experience in it. Beware if they show you before an after pics of FUT patients if you are going to have FUE done.

Dolph

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't like Diep because he will give people unsustainable hair transplants. Does a lot of hairline lowering. Seems like everyone in his videos would probably look awful after another 5 years.

crowngarden

Reaction score
Feller is bad at FUE imo. "Ok" at FUT. Shady guy though. Has apparently threatened to sue his own patients who came out forward with their (bad) results online etc.

And tricked that guy into having a hair transplant with him only to leave him with a colleague and blackmailed him during procedure when the guy objected. Don't know what happened to that case, it was over on hair transplant network.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus he still has some slimy videos of how FUT is still superior and how nothing heals like scalp so it's ok to have bad *** scars on your head.

That's disappointing to hear. Any link to that thread? Seems like the only ones to have maintained their rep are Hasson and Wong. I remember names like Cole and Feller were considered elite.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
The problem with galleries is that they all look the same/similar to me, I guess you develop an eye for the work.

They only show their best work. Most people are average and will only get average results.

What does Dr Rassman recommend that you should do? I can't comment on his work, but my impression is that he is generally honest with patients. Does he recommend surgery for you?

I would add the Hasson & Wong clinic (Vancouver) to the discussion, although they are relatively new to FUE and perhaps not a good choice for that. They made their reputation doing strip surgery. Likewise for Dr Ron Shapiro in Minnesota.