Too much DHT and Zinc

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
A year ago, my bloodtest revealed that I am didn't have enough Zinc in my system. It's supposed to be from 12-25. Mine was 11. My testosteron was about 20. I started to take Zinc, 30mg a day and next bloodtest showed testo 22 and zinc 16. I started taking 60 mg zinc a day for a few months. I got the result today of a third bloodtest where my testo is 29, which is very high. My estrodil was 62 (it's supposed to be between 28-156). The thing is I read that Zinc deficiency can cause excess DHT. Zinc inhibits the activity of 5-alpha-reductase. Zinc is therefor supposed to be an DHT inhabitor, as well as estrogen inhabitor : http://calosol.com/zinc.php
Is that true? Could this be the reason for my early male pattern baldness even though there is no family history of male pattern baldness? What should I do now? Continue to take Zinc or what. I have read here many times that too much testo meant too much DHT?? Please help.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Enden in the side effects forum should be able to answer your question, he's the local resident authority on Zinc.

Ende

Reaction score
This is new to me, but I've just seen some conclusions from experiments which suggest that zinc acts as a reductase inhibitor in large doses too. I don't know how large doses we're talking about, but since Dr. Shippen recommends 50 - 100 mg zinc a day for reducing the aromatase acitivity without mentioning any effect on the reductase activity, I think higher doses are needed.

If you're diagnosed with androgenic alopecia, follice sensitivity to androgens, especially DHT is the problem. In general, high testosterone level means that you've a high DHT level too.

Treat your zinc deficiency according to the Doctor's recommendation. Get on Propecia if you need a reductase inhibitor to stop- and reverse the miniaturizition process.

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, if Zinc inhibits 5-alpha, than wouldn't I have less DHT even though i have very high Testosterone? I also have prostatitis and that has been linked to Zinc deciciency and too much DHT. Shouldn't I conclude that since I started taking 60mg of zinc and my testosterone has increased, it's because i have less DHT now? I am confused???

Ende

Reaction score
I don't know the amount of zinc which is required, for it to work as a reductase inhibitor. However, you should do some research and share with us here, if you're interrested. 60 mg zinc is suppressive to your estrogen level, and increases your testosterone and DHT level, simply by blocking aromatase enzymes, which if were free, would have converted testosterone to estrogen.

Trouble with the prostate is linked to excessive amounts of both DHT and estrogen.

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
But if you check the link, zinc is supposed to lower DHT not increase it, didn't I understand it right?

Ende

Reaction score
You need a certain amount of zinc before it works efficiently as an aromatase inhibitor, and I assume it's the same for reductase, the enzyme which converts testosterone to DHT. 60 mg zinc, which you've been using, is in the range which Dr. Shippen recommends to reduce the aromatase activity, and since he doesn't mention anything about reductase inhibition, I assume that you need more than 100 mg zinc a day, for that effect. If so, your DHT level is now higher, as a result of using zinc.

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
Damn... Then why does Zinc deficiency cause excess DHT?? This article says DHT levels rise when zinc is low: http://www.calosol.com/zinc.php
I'm confused. If low Zinc means more DHT, than why would more Zinc (which raises the Testo levels) cause even more DHT?? I'm very confused. This article also talks about Zinc inhabititing DHT and estrogen. http://www.naturalnews.com/025265_zinc_ ... erone.html
"When testosterone levels decline, the prostate gland converts the testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. This testosterone is 17 times more potent than testosterone. Unfortunately DHT breaks down testosterone causing a range of problems including prostate enlargement, potentially prostate cancer, and even male baldness since it can damage the hair follicles."

This makes zinc an essential nutrient for overall male health on multiple levels.

Ende

Reaction score
Scientific Studies and Zinc

Irving Bush, M.D., senior consultant at the Center for Study of Genitourinary Diseases in West Dundee, Illinois, and former chairman of the FDA panels on gastroenterology, urology and dialysis, studied the affects of zinc on enlarged prostates. Nineteen men with enlarged prostates took 150 milligrams of zinc sulfate every day for two months, followed by 50 to 100 milligrams a day as a maintenance dose. 14 of the 19 men experienced shrinkage of the prostate.
It's seems to be limited information about the subject, but there you go. Zinc in large doses inhibits both aromatase and reductase.

One doctor, Irving Bush, M.D., professor of urology at the University of Health Sciences/Chicago Medical School, senior consultant at the Center for Study of Genitourinary Diseases in West Dundee, Illinois, and former chairman of the Food and Drug Administration panels on gastroenterology, urology and dialysis, did a small study of the use of zinc in treating BPH. The men in the study took 150 milligrams of zinc sulfate every day for two months, followed by 50 to 100 milligrams a day as a maintenance dose. Dr. Bush found that 14 of the 19 men experienced shrinkage of the prostate.

Dr. Bush continues to prescribe zinc to his patients with BPH. He uses Vicon-C from Whitby Pharmaceuticals, a product that offers 80 milligrams of zinc sulfate per capsule, along with vitamin C, several B vitamins and magnesium. (This amount of zinc is well above the Daily Value of 15 milligrams.) He recommends two capsules a day, after meals, and says it may take about six months to begin to see results. "It's not going to work for everyone, since gastrointestinal absorption and the presence of binding proteins are different in everyone," he admits. "But I think it's worth a try." On the other hand, too much zinc is just plain toxic, Dr. Balch says. My opinion is that if you go above 80 to 100 milligrams a day, you're skating on thin ice," he says.
Link. It seems to be a much more potent inhibitor of aromatase, than reductase. Hence, I think your testosterone and DHT level has increased from use of 60 mg zinc a day.

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
Enden, maybe I should add 0,25mg finasteride with the 60mg zinc before bedtime? How does that sound? BTW, my ED is gone now after taking the zinc. I was zinc deficient but now I am not anymore and I am horny all the tima, I feel like 17, also my prostatitis is gone too, after 8 years, all becaus eof the Zinc.. .. What do you advice?

Ende

Reaction score
Begin with Propecia, 1 mg finsteride a day. Cut down to 0.25 mg and add 50 - 100 mg zinc a day if you run into trouble. It worked for Chris87. Quit finasteride if the symptoms doesn't subside within a couple of weeks, and continue with zinc until you recover.

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok. Is there any reason i should start with 1mg instead of 0.25 and slowly let my body adjust? Is that a bad idea?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
He-Bat said:
Ok. Is there any reason i should start with 1mg instead of 0.25 and slowly let my body adjust? Is that a bad idea?

1mg is the preferred doseage. It's the most effective for the largest number of people. Only take less if you're having sides.

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you guys heard from anyone who had sexual sides, then tried 50-100mg zinc and the problem went away. I know there is one guy here who did it successfully but is it common?

Ende

Reaction score
It's common that zinc treatment improves symptoms. Only Chris87 has used it in addition to finasteride, with success. Some people are interrested, but most are reluctant to try, and just decide to quit finasteride.

yayimbalding

Reaction score
Since Saturday I've been doing finasteride every other day with Zinc. On the nights I take finasteride (.25), I will take 100 mg of Zinc. On the nights I don't take finasteride, I'm taking 50 mg of Zinc.

Obviously it is too early to tell, but I will definitely let you know how it goes.

Ende

Reaction score
Sounds good, although I think 50 mg ED should do it. No bad reaction from finasteride yet?