Tomatoes...Good for Hair

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Based on the premise that a reduction of TNF alpha is beneficial in male pattern baldness, many guys are using green tea and its extracts for its known effects in reducing serum levels of this compound. A viable alternative and possibly more effective may be tomatoes.

Tomato Juice-a Natural Anti-Inflammatory

Italian researchers, publishing in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry have reported that a daily glass of tomato juice (Lyc-o-Mato) can lower one of the primary markers of inflammation-TNF-alpha-by almost 35% in less than one month.

Oxidative stress (the production of excessive amounts of free radicals within cells) and the resulting recruitment of inflammatory compounds such as TNF-alpha have been linked to virtually all chronic degenerative diseases, including atherosclerosis (hardening of the walls of the arteries), cardiovascular disease, cancer, osteoporosis and Alzheimer's disease. Lyc-o-Mato tomato juice contains a mix of potent antioxidants including 5.7 mg of lycopene, 1 mg beta-carotene, 3.7 mg of phytoene, 2.7 mg of phytofluene, and 1.8 mg of the alpha-tocopherol fraction of vitamin E.

The placebo-controlled, double-blind crossover trial divided 26 young healthy volunteers into two groups. In three 26-day segments, Group One first was given a placebo juice (same taste and flavor but no active compounds), then nothing, then a daily glass of Lyc-o-Mato. Group 2 got Lyc-o-Mato first, then nothing, then placebo. Study subjects continued to eat their normal, unrestricted diet. TNF-alpha levels decreased by 34% after 26 days' consumption of the tomato drink while no changes in TNF-alpha levels were seen after placebo.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
I love tomatos but could you stomach the taste of tomato juice?

Ok, scratch that, it appears to come in a capsule (extract) form. Good find Johnny, I guess we should be taking this in conjunction with GTE/

What are everyone elses thoughts?

docj077

Reaction score
So said:
I love tomatos but could you stomach the taste of tomato juice?

Ok, scratch that, it appears to come in a capsule (extract) form. Good find Johnny, I guess we should be taking this in conjunction with GTE/

What are everyone elses thoughts?

Few people can stand it, but here's what I do ( I like tomato juice anyway, so take this as you will).

Whenever I hit the bars I order a bud light red. That's a bud light with tomato juice in it. It's quite possibly the most delicious drink on the face of the planet (to me anyway ;) ) Then, I follow it up with a Guinness.

If I have time, I'll get a vodka sour.

That's pretty much any given trip to bar right there.

barcafan

Reaction score
i have a feeling that most of these 'treatments' (Besides the proven ones) will have like a .1% effect on your overall hair growth...

So

Established Member
Reaction score
Well the study clearly says that TNF-alpha levels decreased by 34% after 26 days.

This is quite substantial considering that TNF-alpha plays a role in the process of hair loss.

Not to mention this is but one pathway of many that must be addressed in addition to DHT.

My belief, and I may be wrong, however is that we focus far to much attention on DHT alone and when we leave these other known pathways unchecked, results are fairly dismal.

Why is it that minoxidil works so well? Well it has been proven to inhibit TGF-b and also fiddles with TNF-a.

Thus, most people on Finasteride alone aren't reporting bumper results but as a recent post pointed out that people on a combination of Finasteride and minoxidil usually produced results.

No if you could refine the use of certain elements to counter each of the known pathways you should yield fantastic results, in theory.