Thoughts on hair concealers?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Regrettably I am not qualified to determine which concealers work best yet I am rather confident there are inexpensive brands available that would allow you to experiment with and not necessarily squeeze your budget. I am a hair loss sufferer myself as well and have learned by experience that the key of self-empowerment can open our minds own prison so yes I think its good idea for you to go and try out a concealer of your choice and observe how each product makes you to feel Try to apply it in the privacy of your home do it in bright light during your time and between household tasks ie;paying bills or laundry,etc., take a look see from time to time. Better yet perhaps your "hair person" cmight be willing to help you apply and/or style the product as recommended. Best Wishes

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
My apologies if my last post read a bit confusedly. I was a bit rushed before I sent it. Anyway, I am happy to hear you'll be trying one out. I have occasionally been using a concealer called Xfusion by the Spencer Forest company, but insofar that my temporal/vertex region's loss is so severe I highly suspect it goes unnoticed. One tip about concealers is that a little amount goes a long way. I've no idea what your profile looks likes just always remember when it comes to artificial concealers of any kind('hair systems' as well) we are trying to achieve an artistic balance somewhere between realism and impressionism. I look forward to your next contribution. Best Wishes!

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Xfusion which is the same as Toppik and made by the same company but cheaper. It seems the best, but due to increased and fluctuating prices, I have used cheaper ones including Fixplant and HairUbuild. I suggest buying the ones in the narrower containers. The wider one seem to waste a lot. I save Xfusion containers and if I buy a brand that comes in the wider container, I pour it into a used Xfusion one.

I am pretty much bald on top but instead of slick bald, have lots of vellus hairs so the product works. Looks like I have a full head of hair. I also have started using Couvre as my hair loss progressed. It is a cream that thickens and colors the finer hairs. I also found that it allows the hair fibers to stick in places where you may have very little hair.

My confidence went way up at first, but sometimes I feel like a fake. I have bad transplants too so could never go out in public or work without the concealers and they allow me to not think about my hair at work. I do have woman interested in me but can't let them get close because it would kill me and be so embarrassing to be rejected by them once they saw how I really look without concealers, which I have to wash out nightly to apply minoxidil.

Definitely give it a try. I was very skeptical at first but it is like a miracle.

brian

Reaction score
My apologies if my last post read a bit confusedly. I was a bit rushed before I sent it. Anyway, I am happy to hear you'll be trying one out. I have occasionally been using a concealer called Xfusion by the Spencer Forest company, but insofar that my temporal/vertex region's loss is so severe I highly suspect it goes unnoticed. One tip about concealers is that a little amount goes a long way. I've no idea what your profile looks likes just always remember when it comes to artificial concealers of any kind('hair systems' as well) we are trying to achieve an artistic balance somewhere between realism and impressionism. I look forward to your next contribution. Best Wishes!

I agree with this comment here. A little definitely goes a long way with concealers. I think the more realistic you are with them the more realistic they will look.

When I apply concealers I lightly sprinkle the powder over the whole of my hair as opposed to just the crown where I am thinning slightly. This way the texture is consistent rather than having one patch of hair that looks slightly different to the rest. I also sprinkle just enough to give the impression that my hair is still thinning, but ever so slightly.

The brutal reality is if your hair is very thin/slick they just aren't going to work. Will look chalky and unnatural. If you are beginning to thin in certain areas and want to increase visual density by around 50%,then you can use concealers and they will be undetectable even from up close! I would also not recommend using concealers on the hairline.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I share similar anxieties/issues that you have Deadman. Contrary to the notion that misery loves company I remain disheartened whenever I hear another guy's personal hard luck stories. My own hair loss journey is long and a little too emotionally complex to expound on at the moment, and a little off topic to be sure. Anyway just wanted to thank you for your honest words they lift me up in a strangely comforting way.

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
You are welcome I.D Walker. It is sad. Sometimes I feel like women wouldn't care. Then I realize they could find a guy like me, but one that doesn't look like a freak without concealers and am brought back into reality.

HairMagician

Reaction score
I don't think so. Women do all sorts of stuff to enhance their appearance (padded bras, hair extensions etc.) - why can't guys?
I absolutely agree BUT... there is a HUGE double standard IMO. Some girls honestly won't care (but since my hairloss has kicked into overdrive, I haven't been back on the dating scene yet). Many will, however. Just read comments online on articles about concealers or on videos about them. Many men and women view it as weak and a sign of profound insecurity :/ That's the Catch 22. It may feel embarrassing for us to walk around bald, yet if we try to cover it up and are found out, it can be just as bad if not worse. I'm yet to be called out and haven't tried dating with Nanogen in my hair or anything, but it is something I have really thought about and it seems like we can't win for losing.

dexta

Reaction score
I've used Toppik in the past and didn't find the fibers to stick well enough to the hair. I’ve found Dushi to be the best on the market. It’s made from Moroccan Gossypium Herbaceum (plants) and Toppik from synthetic keratin. Not rocket science in deciding which one is natural. I've never had to use sprays with Dushi fibers and even went swimming at the beach (although some fibers came off, majority stayed on and didn't leave my hair area empty) It's not a miracle, it’s a cosmetic concealer, it won’t regrow your hair but it does the job of concealing hair loss and does it well.

LBerg12

Banned
Reaction score
True. Didn't think about that. I feel that if you're confident, whatever you do to reach happiness doesn't matter.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I used caboki and toppik for a few years. Both did a job, but as I started to have more concealer than hair, it was time for a change.

For small patches or thinning of hair they will do a job, but for any greater hair loss the downside starts to outweigh the upside. They tend to leave a matted finish, which on closer inspection looks very un-natural and you will be self conscious when seated.

Like a vampire, water will be your enemy. You cant swim, shower or walk in the rain without the fear of having it all washed away.

Putting on and taking off clothes and sleeping on your pillow will need you to be careful of smearing or brushing the concealer off.

When you start to lose greater amounts of your hair there are alternatives out there that are better.

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
Many men and women view it as weak and a sign of profound insecurity :/ That's the Catch 22. It may feel embarrassing for us to walk around bald, yet if we try to cover it up and are found out, it can be just as bad if not worse. I'm yet to be called out and haven't tried dating with Nanogen in my hair or anything, but it is something I have really thought about and it seems like we can't win for losing.

I agree and have noticed an interesting phenomenon which kind of fixes the whole problem.

With concealers I look pretty much like I have a full head of hair so am okay dealing with women casually. However, as I start getting closer to them and they like me, I realize the one thing that is keeping them from disliking me is that they don't know how bad I look without concealers.

We tend to like those who we believe like us and tend to dislike those who we believe dislike us.

When I get close enough to them that the next step is them finding out about my hair loss (at which point I know they will dislike me) I automatically stop liking them. I start avoiding them and being cold to them. This often makes them upset, angry, and rejected but I don't care. All I am doing is beating them to the punch as I know the only thing keeping them from disliking me is their ignorance of my hair loss.

In my mind they already dislike me. They just don't know it. This causes me to dislike them.

Again, I am simply not just bald but have bad transplants and scars so look like a freak without concealers.

The world is filled with billions of guys with full heads of hair and millions more who are bald. There is no reason to accept someone who looks like a freak.

T

tellersquill

I agree, but at least you can sleep with a few women.

Having them stay is another story.

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
Right there with you guys when it comes to worrying about what a woman might think. I mean it was bad enough that I was already paranoid about body hair to the point of being OCD when it comes to man-scaping.

Now I have this hair crap to deal with too.

Last edited:

greg711711

Reaction score
I currently use concealers daily. It sucks because I use them as a crutch but they make me look not balding which is my ultimate goal. I used them all throughout my last relationship and didn't tell my girlfriend until 2.5 years in. She had no idea and didn't really know what concealers were; I had to explain what they do. All that being said, there was a lot of constant maintenance to keep it a secret in those 2.5 years (i.e. avoiding getting my hair soaking wet around her, making sure to sleep on the bottom back of my head or on my arm to avoid residue on the pillows, etc). It is extremely stressful but I am glad I was able to tell her on my own terms instead of her having to ask me what was in my hair