Those who had FUE, can you buzz your head?

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A question to anyone who has had a FUE procedure, can you buzz your head to a 2 or 3 (or even a 1?) without it being noticeable you had a transplant?

I'm talking about the recipient area aswell as the donor area, how many people would say they have had noticeable scarring or discoloration (i.e. skin going much whiter) in the recipient area.

I'm planning on having an FUE procedure with Dr. Wolf in July and want to check I'm doing the right thing as I'm only going for FUE to have the possibilty of buzzing my head down in the future. Thanks.

G

Global,

Anyone who has male pattern baldness and starts surgical hair restoration will ultimately end up needing in excess of 4,000 grafts on average. So whether you have strip or 4,000 plus FUE extractions taken, the scarring is going to show if you cut your hair below a number 3 guide.

I mean quite possibly you are starting out with a smaller FUE session with Dr. Wolf and you could potentially get by with the buzz cut "for now". But what I am challenging you to think is where will the donor be selected from on your ongoing surgeries?

So unless you're planning on doing alot of BHTs, you have to consider the long term impact of where and how your scalp donor will be harvested.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
global said:
I'm planning on having an FUE procedure with Dr. Wolf in July and want to check I'm doing the right thing as I'm only going for FUE to have the possibilty of buzzing my head down in the future. Thanks.

From what I've seen, you may not be able to do the buzz. I think it's important to realize that most of the time with hair and everything else, you can't have your cake and eat it too. It's give and take. Getting transplants and keeping your hair a medium length may work out well for you - but weigh everything, including the possibility of never being able to buzz your dome, before going under the knife. Practically speaking, there's no going back.

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
4,000 grafts is very, very thin in the best case. Another lie by the "Advocate" Ive already had over that amount and look much worse that just three years ago. Keep advocating with lies gillenator. Oh yea MHR state only movie stars need 5,000 grafts. I forgot you were trained by them ,the biggest liars and butchers out there. Go sell used cars or vinal siding. How many lives have you ruined?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Mahair, aren't you taking this a little too far?

Man, I'm sorry for what's happened to you. I can tell that you were once a good guy, and have been deceived. I'm sorry that you feel you cannot trust anyone.

But not everybody is out there to steal your money, man.

I recently sent some pictures to Jotronic to take to Dr. Hasson or Dr. Wong, and Jotronic sent me a letter back saying that the doctors suggest I don't even consider a transplant for many, many years.

There are some ethical people out there, man.

I think Gillenator is probably one of those people.

So enough with the personal attacks.

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry APLUNK but hes not. I am glad there are ethical people out there that turn people away. MHR is different ( Gillenators employer) P.S he was selling DR. Shapiros work as theres while he was there.. Gillenator is trying to do penance by appearing to be a "nice guy" . JUst like a former Nazi that becomes a florist an volenteers at orphanages. Doesn't do a damn thing to erase what they did. Although they delude themselves that it does. How many people blame the patient not the doctor that messed them up? Think about what this ahole is saying.

Heliboy1

Reaction score
I buzz cut my hair now with a #1 guard . If it wasnt for the strip scars that I am having repaired it would be a breeze. You must remember not all extractions are created equal. I had FUE done when it was first started years ago by what was "a top physician". Its amazing at how much this phrase gets used by so many. He used and still does use a punch graft which left the moth ball look.

My three most recent procedures now with Dr Umar of 13,000 + grafts on my body extractions aren't seen at all. My extractions have come from my chest /abdomen/pubic /leg /forearm. You would never know.

I took a couple of pics on Saturday with my hair buzzed. If you would like to see it drop me a line . (It is shorter than what you see in my pictures at http://www.myhairtransformation.com). During this time of year- it feels really good too to have a buzz .

Dr Umar- 13,866 BHT grafts (September/November 2005)(April 2006)

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:
Global,

Anyone who has male pattern baldness and starts surgical hair restoration will ultimately end up needing in excess of 4,000 grafts on average. So whether you have strip or 4,000 plus FUE extractions taken, the scarring is going to show if you cut your hair below a number 3 guide.

I mean quite possibly you are starting out with a smaller FUE session with Dr. Wolf and you could potentially get by with the buzz cut "for now". But what I am challenging you to think is where will the donor be selected from on your ongoing surgeries?

So unless you're planning on doing alot of BHTs, you have to consider the long term impact of where and how your scalp donor will be harvested.

I know what you're saying but I don't know if there really will be obvious scars with fue extractions, in any case my skin is very white, and my hair not very dark, so in my case scarring should be much less of an issue. Even if I cant get away with a buzz cut I'd be happy with a number 1 or 2.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Heliboy1 said:
I buzz cut my hair now with a #1 guard . If it wasnt for the strip scars that I am having repaired it would be a breeze. You must remember not all extractions are created equal. I had FUE done when it was first started years ago by what was "a top physician". Its amazing at how much this phrase gets used by so many. He used and still does use a punch graft which left the moth ball look.

My three most recent procedures now with Dr Umar of 13,000 + grafts on my body extractions aren't seen at all. My extractions have come from my chest /abdomen/pubic /leg /forearm. You would never know.

I took a couple of pics on Saturday with my hair buzzed. If you would like to see it drop me a line . (It is shorter than what you see in my pictures at http://www.myhairtransformation.com). During this time of year- it feels really good too to have a buzz .

Dr Umar- 13,866 BHT grafts (September/November 2005)(April 2006)

Thanks Heliboy, I've been following your story and I think what you've had done is amazing. I think you're right it really depends on the size of the extraction tool, Dr. Wolf also uses a less than 1mm tool so I'm hoping there will be little visible evidence of the extraction sites.

G

Global,

Remember the spots can also show red, I've seen that too. But my point is that whenever a natural occurring follicular unit is extracted, it leaves an empty space. And enough empty spaces (thousands) will show. There's also the concept of replenshing the missing FUs with BH. That may be an option too but it starts getting very expensive. Maybe start with a smaller session to see how you respond and heal. Food for thought. Either way, I wish you the very best man!

Heliboy1,

I also have followed your case with Dr. Umar and know you have come a long way. Congrats on your successes. :)

G

Now for Mahair.

You can make all the accusations you want because anyone with an ethical character has a "clean conscience", something you will never know or have. I just want you to know that none of what you say or what you even attempt with your lame violent threats phase me one bit. Only a PUNK talks the way you do. And that's all you prove in this community, the fact that you're nothing but a coward. But I would be very careful if I were you. Because it's YOU that is catching the authority's attention. You are building your criminal profile with your own words and actions. I am simply sitting back and watching you take yourself down. BTW, they also have all of your threatening e-mails you have sent me. And don't think for a second that I have any fear whatsoever of your punk talk. Don't confuse that with my wisdom.

What Mahair never tells the rest of you are the following facts. When he first got whacked, he was referred to me for support which I gave him EVERY TIME HE CALLED ME. He called me up to a dozen times on some days. Just ask my wife. I spent "countless hours" with him for months on end. And everytime we talked he would go on and on about how much I had helped him work through this terrible on-going trauma. I truly felt extremely bad for him and that is why I had always told him he could call anytime and I would be there to listen to him which I did faithfully. He thought I was a great guy THEN and could not believe that I never charged for any of my support or services. He now wants you to believe that I'm an advocate for the money when I have NEVER even once charged anyone a penny for my help and support. I do mediation for patients and sometimes it's extensive time and effort but the whole idea behind my being an independent advocate is that my service is "free" to any patient irrespective of the doctor they are working with.

Back to Mahair. When this aweful tramua happened to him he hit bottom deeper than anyone I have ever known for the past twenty-six years. He had and still has major psychosis which is my opinion. But Mahair is in a class by himself. Why? Because he sets out to try and hurt others based on a selfish, hate motivated, agenda. And THAT'S WHY he now sees me as the enemy. Because I "call him out" and let everyone know what he's "really" about. Anyone who communicates in the manner he does proves nothing more than disrespect and disregard for other patients, not to mention he has no respect for himself. So how can anyone expect him to have any respect or courtesy for others? Surprise, surprise.

hair transplants just did not have the aesthetic appeal that they can have now because of the technology at that time. That's why I waited myself until 1996. It was in the last ten years that hair transplant methods and technology have greatly advanced with responsible talented doctors in this filed. He wants you to think that 90% of hair transplant procedures are bad which is based on his "own experience", not that of others who did their homework and chose the right doctor. As I have always said, I see and hear about far more success stories than bad ones. Obviously we all know there are some bad doctors anywhere medicine is practiced. Hellooo???

And all of his corrective work was done free of charge by a compassionate Dr. Shapiro. Is it any wonder then why he speaks well of him but yet everyone else is a crook? Sound a little hypocritical to you? :roll: Like a few others in this community, he's just trying to do whatever he can to make everyone else look like butchers and crooks. Obviously anyone with any common sense and knowledge knows differently.

But it's one thing to get whacked and then blame everyone but yourself. The responsibility is shared by both the doctor AND patient. The problem with you Mahair is that you will NEVER accept any responsibilty for your own actions, not then and surely not now. The other thing you don't see is that you have lowered yourself so deep down in the muck, you're no better than the doctor who whacked you. That loudly speaks volumes about your character. :freaked2:

You guys that have been around have read posts before of guys that received bad work. BUT, they learn from it and get on with their lives. Most of them do not go around trying to discourage anyone they can with their poisoned language. On a hate-filled agenda. :evil: In fact many of them will try to help others not make the same mistakes they did. They ALSO tell you the right things to do! But they are there in the spirit of helping others, not breathing destruction everywhere they go, both in these forums and in their personal lives.

That's why I no longer support him. He purposefully chooses the agenda he is on. Anyone who goes around posting the language in the manner he uses in dialouging with others (he does not even know a thing about), has ill-motives. :evil:

Thank goodness there are those with good intentions here that would rather help their fellow man rather than poison him!

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
You would not call me a punk if we were face to face. Trust me. Wanna find out? Put that in you report. You did not answer my question shill boy. how many people have you talked into surgery? How many were dissatisfied. Answer up.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mahair said:
You would not call me a punk if we were face to face. Trust me. Wanna find out? Put that in you report. You did not answer my question shill boy. how many people have you talked into surgery? How many were dissatisfied. Answer up.

How about you answer up? Is this true? Was Gillenator there for you when you were going through tough times? And you turn around and talk to him like this on a public forum? You're a real class act, Mahair.

Gillenator represents good doctors. If he didn't then I would be the first to say something. It isn't his fault that some MHR Doctor messed you up. If you had listened to someone like him before your transplant then you wouldn't have gotten messed up. Gillenator has never steered anyone wrong that I have ever seen.

You're an angry guy, Mahair, and you may have a reason to be angry but there comes a point where you need to learn how to channel it. Repeatedly attacking Gillenator in every thread and threatening him with physical violence is childish and stupid. Instead of helping guys that come to the forums you instead prefer to make childish comments ad nauseum.

Grow up and act like a man, boy.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I feel sorry for Global.

He made this thread to get help from other forum members; instead, there's a fight going on here.

G

Hey everyone, my wife and I just finished dinner and we were talking about what's been going on in these threads and how these forums are "supposed to be" a SAFE place where others can get truthful information and support. In fact whenever you arrive at the home page of the forums section, note how many folks are surfing this site. They do not participate because some are afraid to do so, yet they still seek viable information. I think sometimes we can forget the impact we can have on others without realizing the tremendous moral responsibility that comes with our individual participation. I personally view my presence in the hairloss forums as an honor which is also a privilidge.

My wife has no intentions of joining these hairloss forums so instead of creating a user account, she simply wanted to post a few words because she just read this entire thread including Mahair's last violent threats. I am handing her over the keyboard right now:

hello. this is not like me to come here and say whtas on my mind right now. you have no right to speak to my husband this way and to threaten him. the police know all about you and I am printing everything you are saying to him. thjey know who you are. you are Joe Hunt from boston, mass. you are the one who called myn husband oever and over and over at all hours of the night. he let ypou pour your heart out. he understood yopu joe. steve told me how much you were hurt and I wantm you to know he reaaly cares. he would never accept your phne calls at wee hours in the morningif he did not. whether you realize it or not you woke me up many times in the middle of the night. i told steve not tio answer the phone joe but steve always sasid that it might be you calling and he always said try to understand the hell you were living joe. then yopu speak to him like this? just who do you think you are? how can you be so thanklees after all my husband has done for you. I just could not believe what i read among the other things you have falsely accussed him of. my husband is a good man and you of all people know it joe hunt. yuou should be ashamed of yourself. my husband says he does not take things to heart but i am taking your threats and false accusations against him seriously and you better watch yourself. you are a very sick person who needs professional help and meds.i am not saying this to be spiteful but its so obvious. you a person like you should never be allowed here where there are medical patients. and thanbk you to the other person because you are right about the doctors that associate with steve. they are very good doctors ands they know steve very well and knows how much he cartes about patients. and jsut so you know steve loses money at what he does. i know first hand because we file our taxes togethor. i am very proud of my husband and i married him for his good heart not his money! he doesnt have any. sorry for my mess here. i typed this very fast. thanks for listenning.

supernova

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe you guys can PM each other and sort out your mess. You might not want to reveal individuals' names and locations, either...

G

You may not be aware of the fact that Joe has already made all of his personal information public many times on other hairloss forums such as the HTN. We also heard him publicly make his identity known on Spencer Kobren's bald truth radio program which we recorded with Spencer's permission. He has already disclosed everything about himself and his case for two straight hours.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:
Global,

Remember the spots can also show red, I've seen that too. But my point is that whenever a natural occurring follicular unit is extracted, it leaves an empty space. And enough empty spaces (thousands) will show. There's also the concept of replenshing the missing FUs with BH. That may be an option too but it starts getting very expensive. Maybe start with a smaller session to see how you respond and heal. Food for thought. Either way, I wish you the very best man!

Heliboy1,

I also have followed your case with Dr. Umar and know you have come a long way. Congrats on your successes. :)

Thanks for the advice Gillenator, I've got a session booked with Dr. Wolf for about 1000 FUE's to fill in my temples. If I continue to recede after that I'll get some more work to create a hairline, but I dont intend to ever try and fill in my crown (if it goes). What I'll do at that stage if it ever happens is cut my hair as short as possible and just be satisfied with having the front to frame my face.

Hopefully with this plan I wont need to deplete my donor area so much that it becomes really noticeable. In any case even if the results arent perfect I think the result will still be less noticeable than if I had a strip, and I should be able to cut the hair shorter than if i had a strip.

I've been researching this and thinking about it for about 5 years now, I'm 38 and my loss has been minimal in the last ten years and practically non existent (in fact I've had regrowth) since being on dutasteride. My skin and hair are fair which I believe makes me a good candidate for transplant.

I know there's no guarantees but I feel I'm making the right decision now and I appreciate people like yourseldf who give constructive comments even though it may be not what I want to hear.

Thanks! and I hope you sort out your problems with Mahair.