This is just a coincidence but I have to mention it.

G

Since this is a site where we talk about what we feel effect our hair I might as well say what´s on my mind.

This fall/winter around okt I thought to myself - why do I eat pills against during the winter when my allergies are mainly in the summer. I stopped taking the pills and my hair started falling of - no I´m not saying it was related.

This summer my allergies have been worse then in a long time - not related to me not taking pills during the winter, it´s because of the weather and amount of pollen. During periods when I have taken more anti-allergy pills my hair starts feeling stronger. It´s something I thought of just now. It creeps up on you like it has right now. Just check my posts from the last month - nothing cool to report, but the last week my hair has feelt really bouncy and I´m not losing much at all in the shower.

I just had to get that of my cheast.

If hairloss to some extent is autoimmune then anything that we

G

So are you saying that taking alergy pills stops your hair falling out. or is it just a hunch that you have.

Bismarck

Reaction score
What are your pills made of? That's the only thing that's of interest for us here. Don't say it's antihistamine...

bis

Aviator

Reaction score
Bismarck said:
What are your pills made of? That's the only thing that's of interest for us here. Don't say it's antihistamine...

bis

Well this is interesting cause last week I read an article in a Swedish paper Aftonbladet about a new type of drug being tested for male pattern baldness in some Uni-lab in Sweden and this treatment contained antihistamines(can´t remember which). The scientist believed that it´s possible to treat male pattern baldness with this kind of drug. They also interviewed a guy who was taking part in their "test-rat" group. So far the "rats" were on their 3th month if I remember correctly. I hope I´ll find the article on the net so I could translate it. But they were pretty convinced that antihistamins played a certain "key" role in fighting male pattern baldness.

Grandpa

Established Member
Reaction score
I could make the opposite argument and say it's only been since the beginning of the summer when I started taking allergy pills that my hairloss began. At the same time I can kind of see an argument to be made for Nesta's contention. I don't remember my human anatomy biology class all that well, but allergies are basically an over-reacting immune system attacking what are benign substances in the body. Perhaps this hair trigger reaction is also causing the immune system to attack hair follicles, I don't know. I really doubt it has an effect one way or the other, but it's still pretty interesting.

Minox_Baby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey this is so wierd. I was thinking the exact same thing the other day nesta. OK, heres my situation. Over the past 5-6 years or so I've suffered from the worst hayfever you can imagine. Over the last couple of years I had to take antihistamines because it was that bad.

I couldn't take the 'one pill a day' tablets because they were not effective, so I had to take the 8 hour tablets. So over the past couple of summers I been popping 2-3 of these tablets every day day from may through to september. The tablets I was taking were benadryl one a day capsules.

Anyway, earlier this year I suffered the worst male pattern baldness episode ever. I did slightly receed a few years ago, but it wasn't bad and it stopped dead. During may I started recceding heavily and my frontal regions starting thinnig and loosing at an alarming rate. I lost about 1 inch from my front hairline in a couple of weeks. I'm currently on the big 3.

But, I've not had any hayfever what so ever this summer. The first summer in half a decade. I've not needed to take a single antihis tablet at all. It makes me wonder if these to incidents could be related. Could the gene controlling these to scenarios be linked somehow? I've been tempted (stupid I know) to start taking the antihis tablets again just to see what happens? It would probably be cheaper than propecia? :)

Cheers,
warren.

G

Bismarck said:
The funny thing is, that the hair-growth-product of the unmentionable one conatains the antihistamine diphenhydramine (HCl).
I always thought histamines are good for hair growth and that the unmentionable one's product is a scam (still think so).
The following patent is really food for thought:
http://www.pharmcast.com/Patents100/Yr2004/July2004/071304/6762193_HairLoss071304.htm

bis

I have an med school exam thursday so I don´t have time to read anything else but I will asap.

One thing that I really think these online communities should do is this - A FREAKING SURVEY!

I mean how hard could it be - ok not easy - to put together a form, with 30 - 40 multiple choice questions that are answerable online - meaning you don´t have to dl any Doctor, open it and upload it. I remeber HairLossTalk.com mentioning that there are a couple of hundred thousand peps on this site - well add the power of all "decent" online hairloss sites and you might collect a survey big enough to set scientists on a path much narrower then right now.

Bismarck

Reaction score
Aviator said:
Bismarck said:

bis

Well this is interesting cause last week I read an article in a Swedish paper Aftonbladet about a new type of drug being tested for male pattern baldness in some Uni-lab in Sweden and this treatment contained antihistamines(can´t remember which). The scientist believed that it´s possible to treat male pattern baldness with this kind of drug. They also interviewed a guy who was taking part in their "test-rat" group. So far the "rats" were on their 3th month if I remember correctly. I hope I´ll find the article on the net so I could translate it. But they were pretty convinced that antihistamins played a certain "key" role in fighting male pattern baldness.

That would be really nice!

Minox_Baby

Established Member
Reaction score
Just did a quick search fro benadryl one a day tablets and found that the active ingredient is Acrivastine. Couldn't find a full ingredient description for it.

I've no doubt now that these two are linked. If nesta or anyone needs any help with a survey I will be more than happy to help out.

Cheers,
Warren.

Aviator

Reaction score
Okay, I found the article from Aftonbladet which I referred to earlier in this thread. Now, it was not about antihistamines as I said earlier but but a pollen extract A100 which goes under the name Recapeen.It is said to contain antioxidants, minerals and fytosteroles which are vital in keeping hair follicles working properly; they claim. To get 1 kg of this extract you need 300kg of flowers. The man behind this experiment is Per Oden, professor in "nature´s chemistry" from the Acrigultural University of Sweden in Umea.

The article also says that this product patented in Sweden has already been clinically tested on 245 persons in China, USA and Japan. 50% of these "laboratory rats" has had signs of improved hair growth, some of them as early as after three months, says the article.

Who knows, I guess this is just one of these efforts that are bound to not be the cure but on the other hand it shows that there are experts out there who are fighting to find the cure and in addition to this perhaps make a decent amount of money with their invention :)

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Something that I feel I should add to this. I went to the doctor about a month ago and he gave me some antihistamines for alergies, which I just found out I had after some blood work. Well, my hair seems to be improving. I dont know, maybe more studies need to be done on antihistamines, but to me there is something to it.

Tony

oni

Reaction score
come to think about I stopped taking the hayfever pills before I went to Barbados on holiday because I don't suffer abroad thats when I started to shed sh*t loads maybe there is a link.

I am going to start back on the hayfever pills and keep you posted. I have been shedding for the last 6 weeks and it has not slowed lets see if it does now with the pills.

Pills contain 10mg Loratadine

oni

Reaction score
I do not suffer any but all drugs have a side effect.

SIDE EFFECTS: In studies in which loratadine was compared to a placebo (an inactive tablet which was made to look like loratadine), the rates of side effects with loratadine was no greater than that of the placebo. The most common complaints were headache, tiredness, and dry mouth.