Thirteen-year update on finasteride alone (long-term maintainer)

ropcat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

This is a thirteen-year update from a long-term finasteride user. I never visit the site anymore although I posted a fair amount (under a different name) and read posts several times a day way back in 2000-2001. (The message-board archives going back that far were blitzed out of existence many years ago.)

Anyway, I thought I would check in to relate my condition under long-term Finasteride treatment, so folks considering it have one more point of comparison.

The basic update on my condition is simply that I’ve been a stable "maintainer" now for nearly 13 years on 1.25mg finasteride per day. Hairloss that exists is about the same as it was during my first year of finasteride treatment (thinning vertex visible under bright direct light but not in normal indoor light; some minor temple recession; in total, no hairloss visible except with close examination). In other words, finasteride by itself stopped my hairloss. I started treatment in my early 20s. Then I shed a ton for almost a year and almost stopped treatment. And then I began a long-term maintaining pattern. I’m now in my mid-30s and you wouldn't think I had really suffered any loss unless you took a close look. Side effects from finasteride (acne is all I can remember) resolved within a couple weeks or months of treatment onset.

I wrote a much longer ten-year update in the post linked below. What I wrote there in August 2010 is pretty much exactly the same as my condition right now after 13 years:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/49249-Ten-year-update?highlight=jay79

The community that was here and posters' willingness to answer questions when I was first panicking and becoming depressed over early hairloss, way back in 2000-01, was really helpful to me. So thanks to any of them who might still be around here now -- and good luck to everyone!

VICREP

Reaction score
Thanks for coming back and updating.

It's calming to hear of a long term user with no sides

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
thanks for coming back to update, Jay. It's really inspiring to hear stories like this, and I read your previous post that you linked to.

You make a good point when you say that many who successfully maintain on finasteride don't bother coming back to talk about their success, so it's good when people make the effort to do so, and I can understand you not wanting or needing to hang around sites like this - it can make you very paranoid and hopeless sometimes.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
Seriously Medilook, get over it, sides are rare. Just because you supposedly got them, doesn't mean anyone else will.

he didn't get them, he got a supposed 'weird feeling' in his right breast and immediately flushed the finasteride.

medilook

Banned
Reaction score
Gosh you two are pro-finasteride. I personally know 3 ppl that took it for a cple years and had to quit cuz of sexual sides. Do you guys have photos of your hir by chnce?

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Gosh you two are pro-finasteride. I personally know 3 ppl that took it for a cple years and had to quit cuz of sexual sides. Do you guys have photos of your hir by chnce?

Ya, they are, and so am I. And for good reason. It's the only reason we're not bald.

If you got gyno, then I feel badly for you....but you are in the vast minority of people that got that as a side effect. I personally know 3 people that have taken finasteride for over 3 years, and none of them have gyno. Do my friends outweigh your friends? If you give so much weight to 3 people with gyno keeping you from taking finasteride, then you should give equal weight to 3 people that haven't had it.

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess our stories are similar, then. I started taking finasteride when I was 17, today I'm 36 and still a NW2. It's far from perfect, there is some recession in the front but I was able to maintain my hair and I owe it to Proscar. How did you find out about finasteride? I believe Propecia didn't even exist back then, I started taking Proscar because of an article I read on Men's Health magazine.

andrewp

Reaction score
Jay, you say you take 1.25mg of finasteride, do you quarter the tablets? I was taking propecia for 4 months with noticeable results and for my repeat prescription, my doctor put me on 5mg finasteride and told me to half them and take half every other day. I was worried that on the odd day I would loose the drug out of my system, so I've tried quartering them but because of their shape it's really difficult. As for side effects, none . If anything I need something to get rid of my stiffy

Chef Jeff

Reaction score
How did you find out about finasteride? I believe Propecia didn't even exist back then

I remember the first TV commercials for it around '98-ish, maybe a bit earlier. It's been available as a hair loss treatment for a while. Prior to that it was used as an immunosuppressant, I believe.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
It is very valuable. Success stories rarely come back to the site.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
....and not a single photo.

Awesome.