Thinning temples at 18?

fallicle

Reaction score
Waddup guys I've been reading many many threads about hairloss and getting real panicky about it. So I decided to join this forum and get some help. Here's my story.

I'm approaching 18 in a little more than a month and I've never took notice of my hairline/hair in the past 17 years of my life. In my country, it's super hot everyday all year round, so it's a must to shampoo your hair everyday as you sweat a hell load. In November last year I went to a winter country and after showering I noticed a lot of hair coming out in the shower (4 or 5 hairs every time I run my hand through my hair in the shower), so I got really paranoid. But after I came back to Singapore again, I started washing my hair everyday again and the hair loss in the shower was less (about 1-2 strands every time I brush my hand through my hair). So I thought maybe it was the accumulated hair loss from not showering.

However, recently, I've been looking at my hairline a lot and realised there's some recession and thinning of my temple hair. I don't know if it's naturally like that or I have a receding hairline because I never went to see a derm about it. My mom told me not to worry because you're only losing hair if you wake up with a lot of hair on your pillow, and I only wake up with 2-3 strands on my pillow, but I don't believe her. My right temple seems to have receded more than my left, and it seems like my left is just starting to thin out.

Genetics wise I think I'm more or less predisposed to lose my hair sooner or later. My dad is norwood 7 (only hair on the sides and back) and he says he started noticing his hairloss at 22 years old? My dad's brother is not as bald as my dad but still a norwood 4-5. My mom's side's males are all not balding, my maternal granddad still has all his hair approaching 70 now.

I'm just wondering what my situation might be like?
1. Like my dad, just that I noticed my hair loss earlier than he did (maybe he never scrutinised his hair like I do)
2. I am just having a maturing hairline (i've seen this phrase being thrown around hair forums a lot), and the recession will stop?
3. Or is it just my natural hair that's like this (most unlikely though)

I attached some pictures hopefully they might help. I wanna add that I have a naturally high forehead since young.

20160110_130347.jpg
20160110_130356.jpg
20160110_130413.jpg
20160110_130432.jpg
20160110_130517.jpg

obm

Reaction score
It does look like some minor thinning my friend. You will have to go to a derm to be sure... but not to worry. The good thing is that you have noticed it early enough. Ask your doctor about finasteride. I started thinning in the temples around the same age as you and i started taking finasteride at 18. im now almost 25 and my hair has remained the same. My advice is not to panic. Its easy to get fixated on it and even depressed but your next step is to take action. The sooner you take action the better off you will be. Good luck.

fallicle

Reaction score
It does look like some minor thinning my friend. You will have to go to a derm to be sure... but not to worry. The good thing is that you have noticed it early enough. Ask your doctor about finasteride. I started thinning in the temples around the same age as you and i started taking finasteride at 18. im now almost 25 and my hair has remained the same. My advice is not to panic. Its easy to get fixated on it and even depressed but your next step is to take action. The sooner you take action the better off you will be. Good luck.

thanks for the reply, a lot of websites and forums say that 18 is too young for finasteride is that true? Also did you get the side effects like what they mention?

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
The age to start taking finasteride is debatable on here. I say if you notice hair loss and are 18 then go for it. To me most are fully developed physically by this age. Im 26 and all my friends look the same they did when they were 18 accept for the one whos a norwood 6.....Also the longer you wait the harder it will be to grow and maintain, so I would speak to a doctor. I have experience no side effects i was taking 1.5 MG a day for a while now 1 mg and experience nothing.

MJ_2019

My Regimen
Reaction score
I first experienced temple hair loss at the age of 16/17, but brushed it aside as being due to diet etc.
It was only at 22.5 years I saw hairline recession and balding at crown that I realized this sh*t was real.

I'm almost 24 now. Been on finasteride for roughly 9 months now. Crown looks same/very slightly better.
Temple recession is still there, and has probably worsened even though I'm using a dermaroller as well :( ...

This is a lot of hard work and dunno if I will see the results. These forums are my only hope.