thinning gal's Story

thinning gal

Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I just found this site a few days ago. I can't believe there are so many women today dealing with this problem. I'm glad I'm not alone (although when I go out in public and scope out all the other girls' heads, it feels that way!). Well, I'm almost 30 and have had thin hair on the top of my head since I was a teenager. I have volumous brown curly hair, so I think I hide the fact that I'm thinning pretty well (for now at least). I've seen an endo who wants to put me on oral spironolactone / yasmin for elevated testosterone - Androgenetic Alopecia. I'm try to get pregnant, so I can't take the meds now. I'm also afraid of the pills - scared of making things worse, scared of putting checmicals in my body, etc... This had been the hardest thing for me to deal with. I now take Paxil to deal with the depression this has caused me. A few months back I was at the point where I didn't think I could go to work or out in public for fear that people were staring at my head like I was some sort of freak. I still have times when I feel like that. My husband / family say my hair looks fine. I get so worried that in a few years if my hair gets worse, my husband will leave me for a chick with hair. When I have a child I don't want them to be made fun of cause their mom is bald!!! Nor do I want to pass this dreaded gene on to a child. I'm so sad about this and I just hope that as we speak some genius scientist is working on a way to fix this horrible problem for us all. In the meantime, I console my self with thoughts of a hair transplant in a few years. I'll save money and spend my last time to get my confidence / self-esteem back. Hopefully, we can all help eachother and grow some hair while we're at it!

G

Hi Thinning Gal!

Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. But hopefully we will be able to give and share with you some good information and support.

As for the any person doing research on hair loss and better treatments, we have Dr. Angela Christiano at Columbia University doing just this type of thing. Not only is she intelligent and nice, I think she is awesome for researching for answers and treatments for those of us suffering through hair loss.

Have you thought about Rogaine at all? Just curious.

Laura :)

G

Argh, sorry this was Laura (me) who wrote that above post, it logged me out before I hit the submit button! Well anyways, welcome aboard! :)

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Thinning Gal ,
Welcome to the forum!!! This place is great for support especially on bad days when you need to vent. I am too trying to get pregnant so I'm not on any pills yet for my Androgenetic Alopecia. Its sounds like you have a good support system at home which can help tremendously....yes... I agree with you ....lets all grow hair together.... :hairy: