Thinking of going back on finasteride from dutasteride

Life_sucks

Established Member
Reaction score
I was on Propecia for 3 years, everything seemed fine. But when dutasteride came in the picture I made the move. I had no side effects with finasteride, so I thought dutasteride should be fine.

Been on dutasteride for a year (twice a week now). Seems like my libido/erections took a hit. I know dutasteride is a little more potent than finasteride but damn...wtf is this.

Anyone else went from dutasteride back to finastiride? Any other advice?

Life_sucks

Established Member
Reaction score
^ To be honest I think it got worst.

The reason is because I was taking it once a week thinking it should be enough. I increased it to twice a week now...but i'm not sure if it'll improve the situation or not.

But the part is my libido/erections have been effected.

multispeed27

Established Member
Reaction score
Life_sucks said:
^ To be honest I think it got worst.

The reason is because I was taking it once a week thinking it should be enough. I increased it to twice a week now...but i'm not sure if it'll improve the situation or not.

But the part is my libido/erections have been effected.
you may have that castration-like effect with finasteride as well.

Nevis

Reaction score
Life_sucks said:
Anyone else went from dutasteride back to finastiride? Any other advice?

Yep. I did. 4 Years on finasteride, then went to dutasteride once a day, every day, for a long span (3-4 years). Was fine until the end when I got the same thing as you.

Good news was that I switched back to finasteride and didn't lose anything cosmetically in the hair department. Snapshots still look the same and no one makes any comments about losing ground. So, in my case, I didn't have anything to worry about stepping back to finasteride. And that was true for the past 2 years.

Heinrich

Reaction score
I started with Finasteride and then went on dutasteride. About 2 years later I went back to finasteride because I started to become concerned about health issues. I noticed no difference between dutasteride and finasteride both in results and sides.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
Life_Sucks what's the status of your situation now?

FyI went from 2 yrs on dutasteride to propecia. Only diference I saw was positive, I stopped shedding. However, I slowly weened off dutasteride....added finasteride.....then slowly stopped dutasteride all together. Now looking into RU or RUM because I'm itching to starting a steroid cycle + hgh.

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
Just made the switch and have hit an almighty shed!! Should I be worried? Am I losing ground or is the finasteride beginning to "work" again?

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep. I did. 4 Years on finasteride, then went to dutasteride once a day, every day, for a long span (3-4 years). Was fine until the end when I got the same thing as you.

Good news was that I switched back to finasteride and didn't lose anything cosmetically in the hair department. Snapshots still look the same and no one makes any comments about losing ground. So, in my case, I didn't have anything to worry about stepping back to finasteride. And that was true for the past 2 years.

@Nevis

I'm planning to do the same. I was on finasteride for 2 years and after a massive shedding I was scared to death and moved to dutasteride for 6 years. the sexual side effects are getting worst and worst.

it turned out I discovered the cause of my severe sheddings: vitamin D, iron, b12 defienciency !! I was low on all of them.
My hair is now growing thick, my arm hair, facial hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, all are growing long and thick. it's extremely evident.

what's your current situation? thanks

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started with Finasteride and then went on dutasteride. About 2 years later I went back to finasteride because I started to become concerned about health issues. I noticed no difference between dutasteride and finasteride both in results and sides.

@Heinrich

I'm planning to do the same. I was on finasteride for 2 years and after a massive shedding I was scared to death and moved to dutasteride for 6 years. the sexual side effects are getting worst and worst.

it turned out I discovered the cause of my severe sheddings: vitamin D, iron, b12 defienciency !! I was low on all of them.
My hair is now growing thick, my arm hair, facial hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, all are growing long and thick. it's extremely evident.

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Life_Sucks what's the status of your situation now?

FyI went from 2 yrs on dutasteride to propecia. Only diference I saw was positive, I stopped shedding. However, I slowly weened off dutasteride....added finasteride.....then slowly stopped dutasteride all together. Now looking into RU or RUM because I'm itching to starting a steroid cycle + hgh.

@Einstein

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Einstein

Interesting stuff. How did you find out you had these deficiencies? And did you have to take supplements or adjust your diet?

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. How did you find out you had these deficiencies? And did you have to take supplements or adjust your diet?

my 88 year old father out of nowhere began to grow a beard when he haven't had facial hair since I remember.
I started to feel a mix of eureka and panic and carefully reviewed his medical prescription list. statin drugs and supplements: vit D, b12 and iron.
my lab results showed I was low on all three. not anemic yet though. weird since I eat all day.
2 weeks after I started supplements (I thought I would deficient on all kinds of stuff) my body hair began to grow thicker and longer in my forearms eyebrows moustache (nearly absent since 16) , legs, pubic area, eyelashes longer and darker, my whole head with homogeneous thick hair. some parts of my head are still lacking density, I guess they will recover later. vertex area slightly thin, like a typical norwood 1 on dutasteride. I think this area will not grow back.

my nutitionist was unsurprised by all of this. she mentioned that malnutrition is extremely common and loss of hair it's barely one of the symptoms.

I'm planning on taking supplements for life. I don't trust any diet.
complete list: zinc, biotin, vit C, b complex, vit D, iron, b12, magnesium, folate, all of them around recommended daily intake.

Last edited:

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm contemplating going back to Finasteride from Dutasteride, alhtough I've just renewed my prescription for the latter for the next 6 months.

Just finished a year on Dutasteride. My story/latest pics here https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/one-year-on-avodart-41-y-o-male-pics-what-now.122010/

Good to hear what others' experiences are of making the switch back.

thank you for your interest on this. some people rush their way into duta when it was not strictly necessary. we need data.
Im looking forward to read your report on the switch back to fina.
good luck !!