Things that concern me about getting a hairpiece

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
As you may have realized by some of my posts in this section, I have been twiddling around with the idea of getting a hairpiece. Mostly because I am getting sick of the mess of using concealers. That and I question their(concealers) realism on my crown area, which is thinner now.
But there are some things about hairpieces I need to know, so if you can help, thank you. If you have a personal vendetta against hairpieces and just want to rag on them and why I shouldn't get one, don't even post, please.

First order of business:
What is the most realistic version I could buy? All lace? I don't mind if I have to take extra care with cleaning it and such. To me, it would be worth it. I would rather have the most natural-looking piece and have to take care of it carefully than have one that looks unnatural but I could handle it roughly and just glue it on and run. Although I would prefer one that I didn't have to take off every night, and one that would stay on if I was riding bike or something.

Going along with that first question: What kind of hair is best? I've heard Europeon but I could be wrong. Once again, the most natural-looking would be my top priority.

Where do I start my hairline? I have had transplants, and would have liked to use that hairline in front of the piece, but I can't because I don't think it looks natural enough(that's what those Bosley butchers were supposed to fix). The thing is, I like where my hairline is now. It is not too low, although I think I would prefer it even higher, but even if I shaved it and got a higher hairline on the piece, that wouldn't work too good because you would be able to see the scars, right? So I am kind of fucked in that sense.(sorry about that question, it is kind of rambling)

Is tracing your hairline with plastic wrap the best way to get your design? Working with plastic wrap in a cooking capacity has always been a pain to me, so I am not really thrilled about doing that.

One of my biggest concerns is the cut-in. I really don't want to go to a salon around here because I would not want it known that I wear a piece. I would almost rather go to a hair-replacement center(not one where they make you sign a contract of course) if I could find one close to me, just because they could do all that - the initial measurements, colormatching, the cut-in. That said, I would also just love to get one from Toplace or coolpiece or one of those types of places, because I have seen some great results for not a lot of money. That and I have seen enough about hair-replacement shops to not want to get one from them(well, I did see an impressive detailed video from one shop, but that was in Canada and I need someplace close). But then I would have to either go to a salon or do the cut-in myself. Is is hard to cut-in a hairpiece yourself? Keep in mind my wanting to have it look as natural as can be. Would it be realistic to expect that I could cut it in by myself and make it look natural?

Well, that's it for now. Thanks for anyone who dredges through that mess and offers any advice.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
First order of business:
What is the most realistic version I could buy?

Generally, fine lace (such as SFS) is very undetectable. It's light, and breathable, which I like. I'm currently wearing a piece of this style. The "new" injected lace pieces look pretty good (I've got three stored upstairs right now) but I haven't gotten to attach one yet.

Going along with that first question: What kind of hair is best? I've heard Europeon but I could be wrong. Once again, the most natural-looking would be my top priority.

European hair has always been said to be very natural and realistic, as it matches the texture of caucasian hair. Most places, however, either use Remi Indian hair (which is Indian hair that still has it's cuticle and is tied in the direction it naturally grew) or processed hair (hair that's had an acid bath to remove the cuticle, making it thinner and finer, but ultimately more likely to tangle down the road). I wear Remi Indian hair and I really like it. It's not QUITE as fine as my natural hair, but the texture, color, and curl match my own very well.

Where do I start my hairline? I have had transplants, and would have liked to use that hairline in front of the piece, but I can't because I don't think it looks natural enough(that's what those Bosley butchers were supposed to fix). The thing is, I like where my hairline is now. It is not too low, although I think I would prefer it even higher, but even if I shaved it and got a higher hairline on the piece, that wouldn't work too good because you would be able to see the scars, right? So I am kind of fucked in that sense.(sorry about that question, it is kind of rambling)

I drew my hairline low and relatively straight to begin with, but have slowly moved it back until it's roughly around where my natural hairline is (but slightly less recessed). Try using an eyeliner to draw on different hairlines and check them in the mirror to see what you like.

Is tracing your hairline with plastic wrap the best way to get your design? Working with plastic wrap in a cooking capacity has always been a pain to me, so I am not really thrilled about doing that.

I draw my hairline on the scalp, then stretch the plastic over my head, trace the outline, and start adding layers of tape. It's really not as hard as you'd think. Use a bit of water on your hair so that the saran wrap can slip on easier.

One of my biggest concerns is the cut-in. I really don't want to go to a salon around here because I would not want it known that I wear a piece. I would almost rather go to a hair-replacement center(not one where they make you sign a contract of course) if I could find one close to me, just because they could do all that - the initial measurements, colormatching, the cut-in.

I got my first cut-in from a salon in Canada (about 14 hours away) while visiting my fiancee. Since then I've learned to do my own, mostly because I'm impatient and was DIRT broke when I got my last shipment of hairpieces. YOu may get better results from going to a talented "regular" salon. The local hair replacement place here charges $125 for a cut-in, plus $50 for the attachment, and though I've not gotten a cut-in there I did go for an attachment and it was TERRIBLE. If their cut-ins are similar then I'm glad I didn't waste the money (and ruin a piece). There's almost ALWAYS a hair replacement salon in you town, though they usually don't advertise widely. Check the yellowpages.

Hope this helps!

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
oDD_LotS said:
Hope this helps!
It does, thanks!
I guess the biggest thing I have to worry about is finding the best place for the cut-in, if I don't do it myself.