Thin Hair Shed?

A_Munk3y

Reaction score
Hi!
My name is Johnny. I've hung around the forums for a while now. Been reading a lot, and doing research. I have a few questions regarding my hair, and my future hairloss :)D)

I still have thick hair all over. My temples are slightly receding, mostly likely just a mature hairline i figure.
But both sides of my family have significant hairloss. I don't think any male family member over the age of 25 isn't at least an NW3 or 3.5, and most are 4's and 5's.
So basically, my chance of getting it is almost 100%.

Anyways, because of that fact, i've been watching my hair regularly to see when it will really start, so i can do something about it before it gets out of control. I am not currently on any hairloss meds, nor shampoos or anything.

lately tho, i've noticed that the speed at which the temples are receding is picking up, but again, i'm leaving that to a mature hairline for now because its so minimal that some would probably laugh at me if i said i was losing my hair.

However, what is scaring me is the lately when i finish showering and dry my hair, there are a lot of hairs on the towel. Same when i comb my hair, or run my hand through my hair. I know people lose on average 100 hairs a day, but i'm definitely losing a lot more.
Mind you, my hair is kind of long (about 3-4 inches) so maybe its just getting pulled.

But, i've noticed that the hairs that are falling are mostly are very thin, which i don't know if it is bad, but it wasn't like that before. All the hair that used to fall out before was thick like the rest of my hair. Also, there are skin attatched to the follicles at the bottom.

is this something i should be worrying about, or is the thinner hair that is falling out something normal and i can breathe easy?

Thanks A Lot!!

Reaction score
correct me if i'm wrong - and this is just a guess
But during hairloss, your follicles will create thinner and thinner hairs until the follicle reach a 'hypernate-condition' where the follicle stops creating hair (male pattern baldness) this could be what you're experiencing.
Personally i've noticed my hairstraws getting thinner and thinner during sheds and I guess that's what happened. You can check my post to see if it's anything simulair :0)

if you continue experiencing hairloss, go to a doctor and get it checked! and act critticaly to all data you'll recieve in here! eventually a hairlosstreatment will be somewhat of an experiment of your own.

nick21521

Reaction score
do yourself a favor and don't start finasteride until the loss becomes noticable to the average person.

Your story is identical to mine, right down to the length of hair to the family history. I was in your position a year ago and started finasteride right away, and now I regret it deeply because i'm not 100% sure if i was balding in the first place. It immediately made my shedding twice as bad and now my hair looks absolutely terrible. The only reason i stuck it out for a year (today is 11 months almost to the day) is because everyone said it was a good shed and would grow back thicker... bullshit.

I have easily lost half the hair on the top of my head. The worst part is knowing I did it to myself, it makes me sick just thinking about it.

Please please please listen to me and don't start any treatment, other than maybe a shampoo, until you are 100000000% sure its male pattern baldness.

A_Munk3y

Reaction score
well sh*t.... :O
hope that doesn't happen to me.

Still so far, its just losing a lot of hair.
Even myself i don't notice that im losing hair when i look at my hair.
def wont start anything till im 100% sure.

phamboy24

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
correct me if i'm wrong - and this is just a guess
But during hairloss, your follicles will create thinner and thinner hairs until the follicle reach a 'hypernate-condition' where the follicle stops creating hair (male pattern baldness) this could be what you're experiencing.
Personally i've noticed my hairstraws getting thinner and thinner during sheds and I guess that's what happened. You can check my post to see if it's anything simulair :0)

if you continue experiencing hairloss, go to a doctor and get it checked! and act critticaly to all data you'll recieve in here! eventually a hairlosstreatment will be somewhat of an experiment of your own.
Me too...