The stigma of wearing a hair system

goodidea

Reaction score
Hi guys,

For those of you who wear or have tried a hair system, I was wondering if you were excited to go ahead with it, or whether it made you feel depressed?

I'm currently 27 and a Norwood 3V. I want to improve my hair and I have seen some amazing results on youtube, but I feel like there is such a stigma attached to wearing a hair system and I am very apprehensive.

In the long term I will get a hair transplant, but in the meantime this seems like the only real solution for me.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair systems can really look great, they often look better than real hair, definitely better than balding, and often better than hair transplants, but there is definitely a serious stigma. You cannot tell anyone and you will worry about being found out by your friends, co workers or girlfriend.

shookwun

Reaction score
I think hair systems are good approach for those who are advance norwoods, but not so much early receeders.

Keep your natural hair as long as you can through treatment, and possibly a transplant.

If I ever become a NW4.. i will most likely get a hair system too

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
GoldenMane and Shookwum have expressed reasonable views which I agree with. They can look really good but there is currently a stigma attached - its exciting to get away with it though :)

shookwun

Reaction score
I just feel that we should hold onto are natural hair as long as we can, granted it's still has decent density, and can still frame the face.

Once the frame is gone, and the hair is wispy... it's time for a hair piece.

Noah

Reaction score
I don't think any young guy would get excited about the prospect of wearing a piece LOL. There is embarrassment about wearing something artificial, and at the back of your mind the fear of being laughed at if people find out you're wearing one. But you do what you have to do. I was very very depressed by my hairloss. Concealers only work up to a point, and for a guy who is NW4 or worse transplants are not a serious option in my view.

When I got my first system I was elated though. I felt like a spring lamb, even though with hindsight it wasn't a great piece by comparison with what I wear now. I feel lucky that I live at a time when these great hair systems are available for an affordable price, and the Internet allows people to communicate about what is available and how to use them to best advantage. That is something which has only happened in the last 10 years or so. Systems have been more or less a complete solution for me, which is why I may come across as a bit evangelical at times.

Jimbo5

Established Member
Reaction score
An "evangelical" wearer, eh

Noah ... have you ever posted any pictures of your piece on this board?

g.i joey

Reaction score
to anyone who wears a system? is sex really that much of a worry or did people over exaggerate that>?

Noah

Reaction score
An "evangelical" wearer, eh

Noah ... have you ever posted any pictures of your piece on this board?

No. I did post some pictures on another board a while ago, and then a few months later they ended up on some Chinese rugmonger's website, so that was the end of that. However, I have shown my mugshot to a few guys on this board who were interested in a system. You can PM me if you are interested to see them.

- - - Updated - - -

to anyone who wears a system? is sex really that much of a worry or did people over exaggerate that>?

Depends what you mean. It certainly isn't going to fall off or loosen. Could it be felt? Well, if you are careful you can get an all-lace system with a glue attachment to the point where it is virtually possible to feel, but it does require a bit of care, and an all-glue attachment gives a rather messy clean-up afterwards. On the other hand you definitely GET more sex if you have a nice head of hair LOL.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
with a good head of hair you will have the looks and confidence to put yourself in more sexual positions for the start.

SamSmithuk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

For those of you who wear or have tried a hair system, I was wondering if you were excited to go ahead with it, or whether it made you feel depressed?

I'm currently 27 and a Norwood 3V. I want to improve my hair and I have seen some amazing results on youtube, but I feel like there is such a stigma attached to wearing a hair system and I am very apprehensive.

In the long term I will get a hair transplant, but in the meantime this seems like the only real solution for me.

Hi Goodidea,

I have been wearing a hairsystem for just over a year now, before the hair system I used to use Toppik to mask my thinning hair. The Toppik got so messy all over my pillows at night and sometimes it used to slide down my face during the day. I was quiet low when i decided to take the leap and move over to wearing a hairsystem, i researched on the net and got a good idea about wearing, luckily for me I had been going for my hair cutting at a salon and built a good relationship with her so told her about it. The best thing i did!
Dont get me wrong when it was first attached i was sooooo apprehensive, i made myself walk around town and kept on reassuring myself that it was ok, i knew i had done my research properly and understood the density (so important) so the transition to wearing a piece didnt look much different, overtime i increased my density and now have great modern hair, better than my own hair could ever be! the two people i have ever told was my mum and my hairdresser.

g.i joey

Reaction score
No. I did post some pictures on another board a while ago, and then a few months later they ended up on some Chinese rugmonger's website, so that was the end of that. However, I have shown my mugshot to a few guys on this board who were interested in a system. You can PM me if you are interested to see them.

- - - Updated - - -b

Depends what you mean. It certainly isn't going to fall off or loosen. Could it be felt? Well, if you are careful you can get an all-lace system with a glue attachment to the point where it is virtually possible to feel, but it does require a bit of care, and an all-glue attachment gives a rather messy clean-up afterwards. On the other hand you definitely GET more sex if you have a nice head of hair LOL.

I'm speaking more in terms of if the sex were to be aggressive and she'd tug on my hair would I have to be worried about it slipping? Basically would it limit the amount of stuff you can do in bed?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm speaking more in terms of if the sex were to be aggressive and she'd tug on my hair would I have to be worried about it slipping? Basically would it limit the amount of stuff you can do in bed?

Extremely unlikely it would come off unless you are nearing the end of the bond cycle.

For example, if you selected a 3-week bond and you 2 weeks 5 days in, then in theory its starting to weaken so yes it could be pulled off with "enough force" - dont get me wrong, a tug wont but anytime before that and its very unlikely that unit and scalp will be parted.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair piece was a life changer.
download.jpg

For my little dog too.
pic 2.jpg

goodidea

Reaction score
Well, I'm currently on isotretinoin which has caused my hair to diffuse even more (it used to be a chemotherapy drug). I figure if I get a girlfriend, I can tell her I was wearing a hair system as a temporary measure, because of the medication. I still don't feel great about getting a system, but I also don't feel great about wearing a hat when I go out.

shookwun

Reaction score
If you are at a point in your life where you constantly wear a hat, then it shouldn't that much of a difference to transition to a system.

Wear something else

D

DBW

Questions

Hi Noah (and anyone else who cares to answer),

Sorry for hijacking this thread but unfortunately HairLossTalk.com won't let me create my own one as I literally joined today! UK 20 years old, heavily diffused NW6 (I am for all intents and purposes bald) and after battling with hair-related depression (+a ton of other issues as well) have decided to get a piece. I know a lot of these questions have probably been asked before, so again apologies, but I would really appreciate it if you (and others) wouldn't mind giving me some more information. Thank you:

- Firstly, how 'undetectable' are they? I read somewhere that lace pieces if attached with glue are virtually undetectable even to touch. Is this 100% for real? And how undetectable is 'virtually'? Assuming I'm out at a bar and bring a girl back for a one-night-stand is she going to know its a piece (that's basically my main concern - I'd be 100% happy, indeed would not for a moment think otherwise, about disclosing my piece-wearing to a serious girlfriend, but yeah, if I want to (try! Haha) and hook up with a girl for a short-term thing only, casual sex etc. Am I going to be found out? (Obviously, I'm hoping not!)) (P.S. I'm guessing the most undetectable system is a combination of thin lace + v strong glue?)
-Where are the best online sites for buying a high quality undetectable wigs (I'm thinking I'll want a very very thin lace one, though I obviously don't know a whole lot about it all) at a reasonable price? My budget is probably between £500-£1000 a year but yeah, cheap and high quality is what I'm looking for!I'
- Have you any recommendations for fitting the piece myself? Do you know where I can find out how to do it? Is it especially hard?
I think that's pretty much the main ones. I'm particularly concerned about the detectablity. I'm very comfortable with wearing one, indeed, I'm really hoping that they're as good as I've heard because if that's the case then it would, well, change my life, but yeah, I just want to know if you can have sex with pretty girls and (barring some extremely bad luck) not get found out :p
Thanks so much in advance, all info is appreciated,
DBW :)