'The Shallowest Generation'

Starseed

Reaction score
The Sixties was a Rennaissance of the human spirit on a par with the Italian Rennaissance, the European Enlightenment, the Pre-Raphaelites, the Greeks......

Where do you think today's Environmental movement had its origins? With the baby boomers. Before us, nobody gave a sh*t about the environment. NOBODY. But with us, Greenpeace was formed, along with a lot of other organisations, like the World Wildlife Fund, the Environmental investigation Agency, Save The Whales, etc. etc.

On the west Coast of America, a revolution occurrred in the area of alternative energy, and today certain counties in N. California lead the world in home generated alternative energy sources, alll because of the higher consciousness of the baby-boomers.

CIVIL RIGHTS: It was the children of the Sixties who broke the back of discrimination, with the campus demonstrations, the street marches, and the persistent campaign for civil rights. Obama would not be the first black president without this "selfish generation".

SEXUAL LIBERATION: before the Sixties, sex before marriage was a no-no. today you take it for granted that you have sex with your girlfriend. It was the Sixties generation who fought the religious and social taboos, and it was this generation that developed the Pill, which really opened the doors to sexual liberation for women.

Then there's the MUSIC. If this needs explaining to you, then really I'm wasting my breath. Before the boomers, popular music was naff, puny, wallpaper fluff. Then along came ROCK n ROLL. You can have no idea what a revolution this was for young people. It was a 10 megaton bomb detonated in the conventional mainstream consciousness.

All the incredible acts of the Sixties, the romantics such as Tamla Motown groups, Phil Spector's "little symphonies for kids", the Beach Boys, the Crickets, the Stones, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and all the British blues acts that took American blues and blasted into the consiousness of the mainstream, worldwide - the trail-blazing for all pop and rock bands today....Crosby Stills and Nash, Jackson Browne, etc. Read their lyrics. They're all about a higher consciousness, not about the aggrression and nihilism that so characterises a lot of popular music in today's generation.

I switched off "Live 8" after trying my best to be "open-minded" on the acts I was seeing. They all seemed to be characterised by musical agression, anger, "me-me-ME!". Look at Madonna for example. All about "ME! Aren't I sexually fantastic!!!" ( No you tart, you are NOT)

And the consciousness revolution. For those of a poetic and spiritual bent, the higher consciousness aspirations of acts like The Incredible String band, Donovan, and of course the inimitable poetry of Bob Dylan.

Google the lyrics to

The Times They Are A Changin' ... and
It's Allright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding

Revolutionary stuff.

Then the revolution in consciousness from the opening up of western society, for the first time in history, to the consciousness of Eastern religions, after the suffocating effect of the western and near-eastern Theistic religions - Buddhism, Taosim, Acupuncture, spiritual healing, the Maharishi and Transcenfdental Meditation, Guru Maharaji, Rajneesh, Krishnamurti, and so on, and so on....

Ther was no Karate, Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Tae Kwon Do, or any of the martial arts you see as mainstream today before WE pioneered it, WE opened up the minds of the West to the culture of the East. We, the Baby Boomers.

DRUGS. It was the baby boomers who broke the barriers, and smashed our way into the new grounds of consciousness opened up by psychedelic drugs such as LSD, psylocibin, and of course the CANNABIS that today's generation takes as "normal". WE were the pioneers, and had to fight for the right to use these things.

And today's generation? Credit card debt, shopping as the new religion, spending more than you earn, binge-drinking, hedonism, heffalump obesity as a way of life for millions, materialism on a scale I've never seen in my whole life.

If you weren't part of it, don't disparage it.