The purpose of DHT

s.a.f

Reaction score
This question was recently posed on another forum.
We all want to suppress or get rid of our DHT but surely its there for a reason. Have you ever thought that it must obviously serve a real purpose in men. Other than just making us go bald?

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
no, there is no real purpose.

it's like the pinky toe, or the appendix, we have no need for them, yet we have them.

it's like tonsils, we don't need them anymore, yet we have them.

maybe in the past, people went bald because of survival instincts (live in certain environments, a messy mane might be bad: ie: dirty, diseased, smelly). so our bodies developed dht to kill off our hair cells.

maybe to this day, the human has not evolved to a point where it can get rid of the past traits it followed.

G

Yes, I also had to think immediately about my appendix scar.....

powersam

Reaction score
well it serves two purposes as far as i know, firstly the formation and development of male genitals (i'd take it we all consider that to be pretty important).

also DHT is basically a more potent form of testosterone, and levels of it increase when the body thinks testosterone levels are too low.

so there are two of its functions. there may be more. but it most definately has a purpose in the body.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
it forms the genitals?....

f***.

i just thought of another balding joke then.

"dick head.... literally".

and the body is stupid. why does it send dht to the scalp? keep it down in the balls where it's needed.

if we had 100% control over our bodies and minds, we'd be so much happier.

docj077

Reaction score
person_123 said:
it forms the genitals?....

f***.

i just thought of another balding joke then.

"dick head.... literally".

and the body is stupid. why does it send dht to the scalp? keep it down in the balls where it's needed.

if we had 100% control over our bodies and minds, we'd be so much happier.

The body doesn't send DHT up there. It sends testosterone. The 5AR type II enzyme is a part of the hair follicle, itself. The conversion takes place in the scalp. It's the same as all other tissues. The conversion always takes place in the tissue being targeted.

powersam

Reaction score
if you had 100% control over your body and mind you'd be dead. no way you i or anyone else is smart enough to keep this thing running if you had to control every part and function. luckily it runs automatically.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
so people who don't go bald are the people who don't have that enzyme in their hair follicle?...

possible hm technique then: get somebody who has a similar hair type to you (who is not balding) and clone their hairs. implant them. problem solved?

docj077

Reaction score
person_123 said:
so people who don't go bald are the people who don't have that enzyme in their hair follicle?...

possible hm technique then: get somebody who has a similar hair type to you (who is not balding) and clone their hairs. implant them. problem solved?

People that don't go bald still have the 5AR type II enzyme as far as I know. They just don't have crappy androgen receptors like the rest of us.

powersam

Reaction score
actually we have great androgen receptors, they work wonderfully well. if they were broke we wouldnt be going bald.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
let's work on a drug that breaks androgen receptors then.... what could the sides be from that though?

powersam

Reaction score
person_123 your enthusiasm is admirable but your best bet is to think about treatments that are available now rather than ones that may or may not be researched in the future. unless you are a genius biochemist or a multibillionaire willing to fund hair research that is.

CCS

Reaction score
just block the androgen receptors with RU or something. Your cells will make more, but you can stay ahead of them. They only make a bit more, not enough to outrun the meds. spironolactone and RU are some options. spironolactone is cheap and RU is powerful.

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
person_123 said:

Hahahahahahahaha dude you made my day.