The initial Coping

Itsonlyinmyhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would make a thread about how to cope, or people struggling to cope. Since its not really the losing hair that is the bad bit, its how people feel.

You dont hear me saying that bald men cant get women etc but it is very difficult to deal with such a big transformation to you're appearance so I can understand how some of the guys on here feel.

what SAF said.

Well anyway this sounds reasonable in my head but prob not to anyone.

I started losing my hair when I was 15 and in the last year or 2 it has started thinning, this bothered the hell out of me till Xmas 2006 and really started Xmas 2005, maybe abit before. But for some reason the past few months Ive started to cope, I suppose Ive realised that Ive never been that good looking and I manage with charm and always have done.

The only thing that is bad is that girls my age 23ish dont usually go for balding guys as they are still holding onto their teenage ideals but a few girls lately have showed interest in me which has made me positive with my state(if you can call it that).

Im still dreading shaving/buzzing my hair down which I know Ill have to do soon. But as a friend and work colleague said to me, keep it while you can as you will never have it again then when you have to shave it. which is what Im doing.

Im sorry for this rambling but I thought it would help as pretty much everyone is going through the initial coping period.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Itsonlyinmyhead said:
a friend and work colleague said to me, keep it while you can as you will never have it again then when you have to shave it. which is what Im doing.

Why is it as soon as you notice even a little bit of thinning and or recession people tell you to shave it all off? Its like you must have a 100%full head of hair or nothing at all.

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah there's no reason to shave it until it actually looks really bad, that's usually pretty intense thinning before it looks really bad.

i have friends who are half bald and 21, i don't tell them to shave it off, because that is AS GOOD as it will ever look again. if it's not hideous, don't shave it.

no one cares if you have male pattern baldness, if your remaining hair looks better than no hair then rock it out!

blondeguy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I just recommend it to people who are fretting over their hair loss to unhealthy degrees. I think the lifted burden would feel liberating for them, leading to increased self-confidence which is the most important thing you can have. Confronting themselves totally bald gets them over the fear of balding.

antonio666

Reaction score
to s.a.f

Iknow what you mean just because you lose a bit of hair does not mean you should shave it off there are gays sorry guys like jude law that look good even though they are balding.

s.a.f

Reaction score
blondeguy said:
Well, I just recommend it to people who are fretting over their hair loss to unhealthy degrees. I think the lifted burden would feel liberating for them, leading to increased self-confidence which is the most important thing you can have. Confronting themselves totally bald gets them over the fear of balding.

With me when I shaved it off I just sunk into depression. I was in my 20's and suddenly I looked like a old bald man. From that moment on (and for the first time in my life) I gave up on trying to look good. No amount of trendy clothes etc would be enough to offset the balance.

Oh and yes people would point out the popularity of shaving amongst gay men. Maybe it works for you but you cant come on a hairloss forum and make out that you have the answer telling people that they should all shave it and should'nt try to save their hair.

barcafan

Reaction score
Reason i shaved my head is because i just got tired of sweeping my hair over my receded right temple and checking to make sure its still fully covered.

At 18 you cant afford your hair to look weird at all.

Itsonlyinmyhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I did have my hair spikey till about a year ago and then the thinning was noticeable so I stopped gelling it so much but now have to have no gel, but like I said Im not going to shave it till I really have to as I will never have this much hair again.

This was meant to be a thread about getting over the initial coping for hairloss. So if we can get back to that.

Like I said I came to terms with it and wont let it affect me even though it does put me down occasionally. Though I suppose I have had 8 years or more to come to terms with it since I first started losing hair.Also I realised before I started losing my hair that I would at some time as my dad's dad, dad, mum's dad all were pretty much bald(well certainly not carrying a full head of hair). Though I always wished that I wouldnt lose my hair noticeably till I was in my 30s, but hey life isnt fair and it never will be(Taug-I hope your reading), as Ive been blessed in lots of other areas so I cant complain

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i must say its a good feeling running the hand threw youre hair ... so im not going to shave my head again until there is no way out... but it seams like its going to be a while because the treatment is working greate :D