The brilliance of the buzzcut

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
My success story does not concern my problems with hair loss, but more my difficulties with confidence. I have a receding hairline with thinning hair at the temples. It has been that way since I was 16. I am now 22. However, it is only recently that I finally took the plunge that most balding men eventually take. I buzzed my hair. The contrast between what I was and the person I am right now is like night and day.

I no longer feel bad about my hair loss, I no longer worry about what girls think about it and I no longer worry about what will happen if it rains. The buzzcut has been a breath of fresh air. It has given me a new lease of life to pursue my dreams. The most astounding aspect is the reaction to it. I think I am actually more attractive to women than I was before. In bars and night clubs I now receive a lot of female attention. Before, I felt like the invisble man. The man who shouldn't be there. The man with no hair.

My advice to all the balding men out there is, if all else fails (treatments, hair pieces etc), to adopt a buzzcut. Grade 1 or 2. It is actually quite liberating and you soon stop worrying about what your hair looks like. Buzzcuts/shaved heads are definitely the way to go for the balding man who has limited options i.e. cannot afford treatment, hair pieces or transplants etc. I say they give it a go and see what happens. It might change their attitude on hair loss completely.

Before and After

Hairline.jpg
Clubbing.jpg

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Forget about your hairloss , you look great with a buzzcut.

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
I shaved my head when I was 15 and was told it looked good (Except from my conservative mother who said I looked like a Nazi).

My only concern is it will expose my currently covered temples, not a big deal. Biggest problem I worry about is it may make my ears look like they stick out...but I'm not sure...

fadgus

Reaction score
To quote one very wise man: "A bald head is the answer to life itself."

Buzzed my head the other day, loving it man, I mean I had my head shaved all throughout highschool since I was on the swim team and couldn't deal with hair, but once I found out about my hairloss I figured I'll try and grow out my hair since it might be my last chance. Had my hair a little longer for about a year, but that's it, its back to short, this way I save a lot of money on shampoo! :punk: :punk: :punk:

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't buzz my head but had the sides buzzed to a 2 and cut short on top.

So it almost looks buzzed but a bit longer on top and I love it. The concerns about my ears sticking out are pretty much unfounded, no checking my hair every 20 minutes under different lights, mirrors, angles. No feeling for thin hair running my hands across it, no panicing everytime I see a hair come out etc.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I think a buzzcut sends out the message that you don't give a damn about your hair loss. You won't pay for treatments, you won't hide it, you will simply shave it off and get on with your life. I think the psychological effects of hair loss are much more damaging than social ones. Baldness is no excuse to be unhappy. I'd sooner lose my hair than lose a lot of other things in my life.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Reaction score
This is very inspiring, I am considering doing this. Well I AM going to. Similar to yours, a butch cut, 1/4''/level 2 cut. However my problem is more diffuse thinning on top and one side of my hairline. Pretty thin. I've just been worried I'll look worse --- (I know hair will look thicker shorter but still don't want to look completely bald) I also have protruding ears. However that last part I don't care anymore - I am just tired of covering up, always trying to avoid sitting under any overhead light and cursing the at the wind and rushing to the bathroom to check how my hair looks... I want to begin a treatment, but don't want to worry about sheds and covering more...

SO - I've Been looking for posts like yours toocool, it gives me more confidence to go through with the buzz! Thanks for your story mate! =D