The 0.75mm Punch. Can it provide viable grafts in FUE? HTECH

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
A recent PM was asking about the 0.75mm punch and comparing transection rates and the types of grafts that are able to be extracted with a small punch.

I am not here trying to promote anything on this thread other than verifying what a poster asked me. He stated that he was told that there was no way a 0.75mm punch was able to get viable grafts and that the 0.75mm punch was used as a marketing ploy.

This statement pretty much needed to be shoved back to where it came from because it is a completely false. So the pictures that I will provide all came from FUE... came from a 0.75mm punch, and was performed by a "blunt" punch and not a sharp punch.

gt.jpg

img_0424.jpg

1's, 2's, 3's, and 4's easily

img_0427_1.jpg

graf.jpg

img_0424.jpg

The donor area post op.
com.jpg

An additional second patient's donor area post op.

1.jpg

Again, I started this thread only to debunk a false statement.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i dont know what this thread is about or what those pictures are but they just put me right off my crisps.

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Well basically, these are pictures of grafts and pictures of post OP FUE donor areas. The reason why I started this thread was because in FUE, the punch sizes used in FUE are debatable. The range of punch sizes are typically from 0.75mm-1.5mm. Most physicians use the 0.75mm punch because it will provide the least scarring in the donor area and still provide viable grafts.

There are a select few physicians that use the 0.9mm to 1.0mm punch and a couple that use 1.1mm on up.

This post was to solidify the 0.75mm punch usage which shows pictures of perfect grafts and a prestine post op donor area. I have worked in the past where larger punches were employed and there was considerable differences in the post op donor areas.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: The 0.75mm Punch. Can it provide viable grafts in FUE? H

hairtech said:
A recent PM was asking about the 0.75mm punch and comparing transection rates and the types of grafts that are able to be extracted with a small punch.

I am not here trying to promote anything on this thread other than verifying what a poster asked me. He stated that he was told that there was no way a 0.75mm punch was able to get viable grafts and that the 0.75mm punch was used as a marketing ploy.

This statement pretty much needed to be shoved back to where it came from because it is a completely false. So the pictures that I will provide all came from FUE... came from a 0.75mm punch, and was performed by a "blunt" punch and not a sharp punch.

gt.jpg

img_0424.jpg

1's, 2's, 3's, and 4's easily

img_0427_1.jpg

graf.jpg

img_0424.jpg

The donor area post op.
com.jpg

An additional second patient's donor area post op.

1.jpg

Again, I started this thread only to debunk a false statement.

Tom,

I met you last July 06 when you assisted Dr Cole for my procedure of 1491 g via FUE. I noticed that when I do lift up my hair in the back I can see little white dots or scars from the surgery. Although the surgery was a success I am baffled that Dr Cole only uses 1mm punches. Can you elaborate on this. I am not trying to put you on the spot or create any bad blood but this is important to me if I choose to get another procedure or touch up to thickin up my 50 g/cm2 that Cole did in the hair loss. Everytime I try to speak to Cole's reps about punch size I get well we have an engineer who tweaks the instruments or they refer me to the web site explanations which is general.

Thanks,
LG

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I think your concerns are valid.

I will tell you that in my experience, the .75mm punch works beautifully with blunt dissection. That is, it products excellent grafts and minimal scarring. This is not marketing, since Dr. Harris had been doing this for years and it is only just now being discussed.

Sorry if your consult or surgery with the other Doctor was not as informative as you might have hoped. My only advice to you is to get all your questions answered prior or to find other routes to any surgery. You have the right to FULL disclosure from a Doctor about punches and other parts of surgery. I recommend you get your questions answered in writing. That is no asking too much.

If people wish to be evasive about their technology and methods that is not a good sign. Dr. Harris and I would be happy to discuss any aspects of our FUE, if you would like.

Seriously, If anyone ansers you in a shady way... leave. Please leave!

Strife

Reaction score

Thanks for your response Hairtech

For those of you wondering if this thread was created for marketing purposes it wasn't

It was I who sent him the PM in regards to punch sizes.
I was told by a certain practice that the .75mm has a higher transection rate than that of 1mm and that it is used as part of there selling gimic. Basically slamming any doctor who uses this size.

To be honest I am still somewhat confused, if .75mm works just aswell and the scars even appear less visible. Then why are the larger sizes still being used?

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
exactly... and thanks for coming out Strife. This is the only way to find out the truth. Posting! :shock:

haggis

Reaction score
Whatever size punch is used there is always going to be a 'gap' where the FU was taken from.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Heck that's the way to go, those strip procedures look crazy. Can you see the scars with a #2 clipper cut in the back?