Thank-You Sheds!!

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 27 and I started on propecia about 4 months ago to arrest the very beginnings of a receding hairline and a little thinning about an inch into the hairline (though that may have been in my mind since after I noticed the hairline I got a bit paranoid about my hair).

I've always had a good head of hair, and I thought that going on drugs might be a bit premature, but I headed off to the derm just to ask questions. He convinced me that it's better to start now than to wait until it's gone. So I started on propecia because it seemed easiest. The first three months were uneventful. But, starting last month I started seeing a lot more hair in my hands in the shower and recently I noticed my hair is a lot thinner in the front and top as a result.

At first I freaked. I mean, I really freaked. Were the meds causing some adverse reaction? Should I go off them? Would that make it worse? So many questions and doubts went through my head. I made it this far in life with all my hairs, so I always thought they would stick by me. and now they were all jumping ship. traitors. I wished I had never started finasteride.

Fortunately, I came across this site last week and learned about the dreaded sheddds. aptly name the shedding $h%ts. Everybody here hates them, but right now I'm thanking God for them, because they've given me back my hope. I definately feel better now that I know this is a natural reaction to the pill. I seriously thought that I was alone out there, and the image of my precious locks after a year of loss at this rate caused me to taste my lunch in the back of my throat. but it's good to know that all you guys are out there spreading hope (not just about sheds, but about male pattern baldness in general). I want to thank each and every one of you. every single question or fear I've had regarding my hair loss has been answered or at least addressed here. you may all be full of b.s., but your answers are a lot more reassuring that what i was coming up with.

so when i give thanks for the sheds, i'll admit, it would be better if they didn't exist in the first place. but you guys don't know how happy i was to find out it was common. and now i'm ready for them to stop.

but, i also have several questions for all you shedders out there.

1. What type of hair are you shedding? Because for me, it seems to be mainly big healthy hairs on the top of my head where I wasn't [noticeably] losing my hair before.

2. Are they consistent cycles? Because I'll shedd a lot one day, then not at all the next, then consistently bad for a week, then not too bad, then horribly, etc.

3. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Do shed cycles continue indefinitely or is this a short-term thing? If it continues, does it at least get less intense as time goes by? I don't want to have to go through this every few months. :lol:

Axon

Reaction score
I've never had one of these infamous sheds. But then I'm a lot saner than the average bear.

Anyway, sheds tend to stop after the first year of treatment.

slaytanic

Reaction score
i also notice alot of think healthy hairs falling out. mine is falling out so bad that i rub my hands in my hair a few times and i can ball up a nice chunk of hair. it kida sucks. i hope this stops somtime.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
one thing you notice over the years, people always start noticing a shed AFTER the read somewhere that product A results in hair shedding between months B and C...trust me, this "shed" is in your head =)

Monkey

Reaction score
I agree, seeing people's experiences on here slightly put my mind at rest after I went on Revivogen and suddenly had unprecedented shedding/thnning.

I'm hoping this stops and I can come on here and say 'my hair is getting better, the product makers assurances that a shed is a good sign of progress were correct!'.

My worry is that I haven't seen many members posting such messages - so if you get success guys, make sure you tell us about it!

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
zak84 said:
one thing you notice over the years, people always start noticing a shed AFTER the read somewhere that product A results in hair shedding between months B and C...trust me, this "shed" is in your head =)

I'd have to disagree. I took a photo of my front in late august and compared it to current. (Both dry). The shed I have experienced is disasterous. Just my experience.

jeffsss

Reaction score
I guess i'm in a similar situation.

although i've only been on propecia for about a month and a half.

I'm not freaking out yet..

but I hate looking at old photos and seeing how much hair i used to have.

shedding/thinning is real. it's NOT in our heads. photos dont lie

Axon

Reaction score
Weepy said:
zak84 said:

I'd have to disagree. I took a photo of my front in late august and compared it to current. (Both dry). The shed I have experienced is disasterous. Just my experience.

While I'm not going to deny that they happen, Zak's got a point. The hyperbole on these sites is incredible at times.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
while I don't doubt the power of suggestion is very strong, i noticed the shedding on my own, before having ever looked at this or any other hairloss site. in fact, it was the shedding that caused me to start researching on the internet. and it wasn't until coming across these forums that i learned shedding was common among finasteride users, which greatly eased my anxiety over the situation.

however, it's true. even though every reply is, "oh, your hair will come back thicker than ever after the shed," or "shedding means it's working," I have not read a single post where someone says that, in fact, the hair grew back after the shedding stopped.

but, that could just be that nobody wants to jinx themselves. my shed, which prompted this post, subsided. but you didn't see me running to my computer to report it. maybe deep down i was afraid it would flair back up the next day. we're a superstitious bunch . . . or at least I am.

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
people here comb their hair...then find like 5 hairs in the comb--which is normal really..and theyre like omg omg its all gonna go lol

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I will add my name to the 'never had a shed' list.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Oh, I've had sheds. None of them cosmetically noticeable, but in the shower, the hair I have seen on the shower floor has been frightening. None of them ever really caused any kind of harm to my hairline, but they are annoying to go through.

Bite the bullet, and what you say about them being randomly timed is right on and very true.