Tests needed for diagnosis

szaydel

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what tests are needed to diagnose the cause of hairloss properly. I am getting frustrated, because it seems that doctors really do not care to help and simply say that "...Oh well it has to be genetic..." How do they determine that from just lifting a few strands of hair, and looking at a simple blood test? I know there are tests that determine presence of certain hormones in women that cause hairloss. What are these tests?

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/women/index.htm

All the tests you need to do are listed in Step 2. Beware, many of your doctors will say that all of these are not necessary, but you must insist that they are all done. Make sure that you ask for copies of your results and look at everything yourself as well. The more you take charge of your treatment and evaluation, the better off you are; afterall, you're the one who has to live with it every day.

Also, have several people evaluate your results and remember it's the *ratio* of your hormones to each other, not where they fall in the generic range of "normal". e.g., if your tesosterone is at 30, that is normal range, but if your estrogen and progesterone are almost non-existent, you have a hormonal imbalance. Mine was caused by my birth control pill. Having your gynocologist look at the results is a good idea. My primary care doctor and my dermatologist said my results were normal -- if I had listened to them and not asked for a 3rd opinion, I would never have caught this.

Good luck to you!

Reaction score
I too am afraid that my doctor won't take me seriously - last time I discussed breast cysts with her - her response was "oh don't worry, its nothing your still young".

I am going to take the lists of tests to the doctors tomorrow and if she refuses to do them I will ask her to refer me to someone that does have the time. She is a Family Physician - do you think its best if I go to a dermatologists to take these tests?

I don't know if my hair loss is genetic or due to hormones. All I know is that I just need a difinitive answer so that I can start treating my scalp before I start losing my mind... :hairy:

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
Tell your doctor to f*!k off if she won't listen to you, and find a new one who will. Your health is too precious to spend time with a professional who won't take you seriously. On the flip side, do your research first before you bulldoze your way in there insisting on every test. You need to explain to her WHY you need them done because chances are, she may just not get it.

Derma is a doctor you should have on your team; as your primary care for a referral to one. Esp. since you mentioned inflammation on your scalp, which can be treated by someone who understands skin issues. The other key doctor is your gyno who will understand all the hormone tests intimately. Add an endocrinologist if you find you're still at a dead-end; but start with the others first.

Crash course but still do your research: DHEAs, Testosterone, Androstenedione are all androgenetic hormone tests to see if you're too high in the male hormones (produces FPB type of hairloss, sometimes Telogen Effluvium); Prolactin, FSH, LH all test to see if and how much your brain's talking to your ovaries and other female parts to generate hormones; Second bullet on your list is all the iron stuff for anemia; TSH is thyroid but add T3 and T4 too; VDRL is for Syphillis; CBC is general info.