Tarquin Blandford

jadav1

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to make a post about a 'hair consultant' called Tarquin Blandford who works for the hospital group (also under the name Ziering Medical after the surgeon Dr Ziering who carries out hair transplants).

I want to be straight to the point with this for the benefit of anyone who may be advised of treatment from him or his company, the guy is a salesman and will prey on your insecurity in order to sell you expensive hair loss treatments.

Here's my story:

I had an appointment with him about 14 months ago as I was concerned that my hairline might be receding. I filled out a medical form which was given to me by the receptionist (standard) and was eventually called into an office after overhearing someone angrily ranting on the phone. Someone who i had hoped was not him - it was.

From the very start of my consultation Tarquin gave me absolutely no professional attention and instead told me about the treatment he recommended from the start.

"Aren't you going to assess my hair?" I asked. His response was pretty brutal "I don't really need to, I can see from here that you are losing it all over your crown". "Really!?" i asked. I knew that my hairline was probably receding a bit but everybody who I'd asked had said that there was no visible loss at my crown. "Yes"... he continued "You've got loads of thinning - you don't want a transplant though, you're too young for that - and with the damage that you have youu're looking at a £40,000 transplant". By this point I was naturally in shock and feeling pretty terrible about the dreadful state of my hair. Tarquin was able to tell me all about the hair loss at the back of my head from speaking to me from across the desk.

I asked what I could do about it and the response I got (the line he wanted to come out with from the start) was that there were treatments available and that I should get on them as soon as I could. He didn't recommend propecia and i told him that I had tried minoxidil before at my temples with no success.

He stopped me abruptly to say that minoxidil on it's own was useless for hair loss in men and was only meant for women. "Why would you want to increase blood flow to the scalp when that means there will be more DHT to kill the hair?" he said.

To cut the story short I was told that I needed to purchase 5% minoxidil combined with a chemical called progesterone and while I was using this solution then I wouldn't have to worry about hair loss again. Having done my research I knew that this was a pretty bold claim because i'd read that not even propecia stops hair loss permanently. So I asked again - the answer "absolutely, not while you're on the medication - but you will have to keep using it".

I'd never heard about this progesterone before so was sceptical...I even asked why I hadn't heard of it before and his response was I wouldn't have because it hasn't been around very long. I was told that if I wanted then I could have a look on the internet to compare prices but buying it directly from the hospital group would most likely be the cheapest option. I was very soon sent on my way. The whole consultation had been rushed and having already felt very nervous about it beforehand, I now felt pretty devastated that my hair loss was much worse than I'd ever thought. The best case sceanriofor me was that I had been lied to by a conman and had instead wasted a month on a waiting list that I could have spent waiting to see a real professional.

I went home and did my research on the internet. Tarquin had suggested the same topical minoxidil/progesterone solution to others and given almost exactly the same sales pitch. I researched progesterone to see if it was the real deal - I found a study from many years ago which had found that it was not successful at treating hair loss. I had been lied to - it was neither effective at treating hair loss and it certainly wasn't new as I had been told. So the treatment was a sham, but what about my hair?

I booked an appointment six months later with one of the UK's top hair transplant doctors. His prognosis was entirely different. He could see that my temples had receded slightly but when I asked him about my crown thinning he told me that I just had naturally fine hair and if I did have any crown loss then it wasn't noticeable. I was a NW1 in technical terms, NW2 at the very most. I probably would still lose hair due to my family history of baldness but it was nowhere near the stage that i had been lead to believe. I told him about Tarquin's opinion and as soon he heard the name he rolled his eyes and said 'Tarquin is a salesman - He will say whatever will make you buy his products". I also told him about Tarquin's '£40,000 hair transplant comment' and he was a bit speechless at this, only commenting again that I shouldn't have been told any such thing.

So there you have it. Please do not visit Tarquin Blandford for anything concerning hair loss and I would also recommend against visiting this company if this is the sort of person that they employ. Do your research guys - I could have very well wasted a lot of money had I not done any.