Tape in extensions and alopecia DON"T DO IT !!!

gatito

Reaction score
Have been wearing extension because was in denial I guess, I thought a little more fullness and length would make me feel better… It did! They were amazing! loved them! Until….I had them removed and replaced by my trusted stylist. I was very concerned about breakage and general hair damage the first time they came off, but was assured everything was great…no issues at all. They went back in so fast I never really had a chance to assess myself as I went right into color, wash reattachment (tape in type). After the third removal (9 months worth in total) I got a good look and almost threw up! My hair that was below my shoulders 9 month earlier, and basically healthy albeit thinning and fine, was now broken, dried out with traction alopecia at the temples, creeping up into the crown. I know I lost 50% of my natural hair because of what I ignored initially and what I allowed after. So freaked…I ran to the Capilia salon, but now I'm thinking i need a real MD to help me. I don't want to waste any more time.

mimi333

Reaction score
Have been wearing extension because was in denial I guess, I thought a little more fullness and length would make me feel better… It did! They were amazing! loved them! Until….I had them removed and replaced by my trusted stylist. I was very concerned about breakage and general hair damage the first time they came off, but was assured everything was great…no issues at all. They went back in so fast I never really had a chance to assess myself as I went right into color, wash reattachment (tape in type). After the third removal (9 months worth in total) I got a good look and almost threw up! My hair that was below my shoulders 9 month earlier, and basically healthy albeit thinning and fine, was now broken, dried out with traction alopecia at the temples, creeping up into the crown. I know I lost 50% of my natural hair because of what I ignored initially and what I allowed after. So freaked…I ran to the Capilia salon, but now I'm thinking i need a real MD to help me. I don't want to waste any more time.

I"m sorry you have had this experience. I was afraid to try extensions because I was worried they would pull on my hair.
I had looked up Capilia salon as well as it came up in a google search but I"m not sure I would go to them either. An MD is the way to go. Think we have to be persistent though.

Jhair123

My Regimen
Reaction score
I found this girl's videos, and if your hair is thinning, she has some great tips and is also super inspirational. Thought I'd share in case her videos can help anyone else feel better.