Successful Treatment of Alopecia Areata with Topical Vitamin D

princessRambo

Established Member
Reaction score
Admin, please delete the thread, as my posts are offending a lot of people and I keep getting personal attacks. Thanks.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Princess for the post and welcome to the forum! Very interesting indeed!

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
yeah...but you would think there is something valuable in there to take out of this....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443921504577643442954317340.html

The vitamin D receptor is "crucial for the regeneration of hair," wrote Mark Haussler, a professor of basic medical sciences at the University of Arizona College of Medicine in Phoenix, in a recent paper. He discovered the receptor in 1969.

- - - Updated - - -

,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3

Modulates the Hair-
Inductive Capacity of Dermal Papilla Cells:
Therapeutic Potential for Hair Regeneration

http://stemcellstm.alphamedpress.or....pdf?sid=f4bd8ada-684e-47da-ad48-d079417a79ec

- - - Updated - - -

[h=1]Vitamin D3 analogs stimulate hair growth in nude mice.[/h]Vegesna V, O'Kelly J, Uskokovic M, Said J, Lemp N, Saitoh T, Ikezoe T, Binderup L, Koeffler HP.
[h=3]Source[/h]Cedars-Sinai Medical Center/University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA.

[h=3]Abstract[/h]The active form of vitamin D3 can regulate epidermal keratinization by inducing terminal differentiation; and mice lacking the vitamin D receptor display defects leading to postnatal alopecia. These observations implicate the vitamin D3 pathway in regulation of hair growth. We tested the ability of 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D3 and its synthetic analogs to stimulate hair growth in biege/nude/xid (BNX) nu/nu (nude) mice exhibiting congenital alopecia. Nude mice were treated with different vitamin D3 analogs at doses that we had previously found to be the highest dose without inducing toxicity (hypercalcemia). The mice were monitored for hair growth and were scored according to a defined scale. Skin samples were taken for histological observation of hair follicles and for extraction of RNA and protein. Vitamin D3 analogs dramatically stimulated the hair growth of nude mice, although parental 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D3 had no effect. Hair growth occurred in a cyclical pattern, accompanied by formation of normal hair follicles and increased expression of certain keratins (Ha7, Ha8, and Hb3). Vitamin D3 analogs seem to act on keratinocytes to initiate hair follicle cycling and stimulate hair growth in mice that otherwise do not grow hair.

Jacob

Reaction score
Natasha at HLF had posted that first article...which led me to posting this(which I also posted here somewhere): http://entiabio.com/content/readMore1/infobox/medical_food_products/template/default/active_id/3

Alopecia and psoriasis are conditions of the skin that can either cause hair loss, dryness, or inflammation. ErgoD2™ HSN contains high levels of vitamin D and Ergothioneine to treat the cellular damage caused by these conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah...but you would think there is something valuable in there to take out of this....

Sure...the drastic results though were on a young kid with A-areata. I think that's why no one got too excited about it in these forums.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well this is a forum for all forms of hair loss, so much appreciated in posting this Princess!

resu

Reaction score
I've read a few studies claiming that the d3 receptors get damaged like what squeegee posted, isn't the vitamin d3 analog expensive?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
What about D3 in a topical liposome? Vitamin D3 analog is cholecalciferol which is the form you can buy anywhere...as far as I know.

- - - Updated - - -

Vitamin D from the diet or dermal synthesis is biologically inactive and requires enzymatic conversion to active metabolites. Vitamin D is converted to 25-hydroxyvitamin D, the major circulating form of vitamin D, and then to 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, the active form of vitamin D, by enzymes in the liver and kidney. 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D binds to the intracellular vitamin D receptor to activate vitamin D response elements within target genes. The half-life of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D is four to six hours, compared with two to three weeks for 25-hydroxyvitamin D and 24 hours for parent vitamin D

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Would like to try some Elsom stuff.. like having them brewing my stuff.. but they take forever to answer my damn e-mail lol! I am on D3 liposomal right now..just add it to my regimen with left over phlojel..

Gamma-tocotrienol is required for normal vitamin D
metabolism in female rats
http://www.bioline.org.br/pdf?ph05080

Jacob

Reaction score
Yeah same here...never ordered(yet) that new combo Mark/Israelite has been posting about because no one got back to me.

I wonder if Dr. Y put cholecalciferol in Equisomin for the above reasons or ? It's like melatonin- he had that in it too some time before ppl starting posting the info on melatonin and hair.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
80-100 bucks per 100mg Not too expensive..

- - - Updated - - -

Jacob! What is the differences between all these options??

I don't believe the fact that their liposomal formulation don't end up in the blood. Is the Y guy the only one running the shop there?LOL On 3 outgoing e-mails he answered the first one and it took few days as well.

Berserk

Reaction score
I've been trying to reach them, too. Has anyone ever received a response from Elsom? It's starting to piss me off!

Jacob

Reaction score
80-100 bucks per 100mg Not too expensive..

- - - Updated - - -

Jacob! What is the differences between all these options??

I don't believe the fact that their liposomal formulation don't end up in the blood. Is the Y guy the only one running the shop there?LOL On 3 outgoing e-mails he answered the first one and it took few days as well.

I know the explanation has been given in the past..but who knows if it was posted in one of these forums or if it remained on one of these forums(forum updates etc). If it's not on the website I'll see if he can explain it again. And I'm not 100% sure, but I think he does pretty much run the shop there. I think it's his wife that does the website etc.

When he does respond he can really give detailed responses. It seems when he's off giving a speech/lecture or gone overseas..he's not available to respond.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Anybody else does custom liposomal cream? screw Elsom.. their site is retardly outdated and I can't even communicate with them LOL.. Do they want a damn fax?lol

Jacob

Reaction score
Anybody else does custom liposomal cream? screw Elsom.. their site is retardly outdated and I can't even communicate with them LOL.. Do they want a damn fax?lol

You're not comparing it to Proctor's site..are you? :woot:

I don't know of anyone else that does custom products for individuals. Or even small batches. At least not liposomal-type topicals.

He's always ended up responding to my emails..eventually. But I feel your frustration..this is the longest it's been for me too :(

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
That is a shame.. How can you be successful in business acting like this?? wow! good products, no reliability! With all the money invested in Patent and trademarks and ****!!

resu

Reaction score
You are right, from what i can tell from my meager research, the final form of VD3 (1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D or calcitriol) is thousands of times more potent in binding to the vitamin D nuclear receptor (VDR) than the parent vitamin D3 available over the counter (Cholecalciferol). The research above used such activated form in treating the boy. Indeed these activated analogs are expensive, 80-100 bucks per 100mg (and how many of those for a 3 month supply?), but I am determined to find out.

That's what I was thinking of, couldn't find the info, thanks!

supermusic

Established Member
Reaction score
ad-24-341-g001.jpg

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3412244/figure/F1/