Strip - Last minute sanity check

tailor2

Reaction score
In the very near future I intend to have a strip (about 3500 grafts) with Dr Wong of H&W. Like everyone else I've done my research and I'm convinced that he is one of the best hair transplant doctors in the world; therefore, I think I've made the right decision. My goals are twofold: firstly, a natural looking result; secondly, the smallest possible scar. My question is for those who have been here before me, would anyone advise me strongly not to go ahead with it? I ask this as a last minute sanity check and would be most grateful for any informed advice. I'm in my thirties, I don't need this hair transplant to be happy or for self confidence but like most people I look better with hair and I understand the risks to be very low. Obviously a huge scar or unatural result would make me unhappy! Although my planned hair transplant could result in a dramatic improvement, my expectations are reasonable; providing the scar is small and the result looks natural I will be happy with a modest increase in coverage. Many thanks for any helpful comments. Tailor. :lol:

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you're going to have strip surgery then obviously you've gone to one of the best docs there is, so you don't have too much to worry about, but is there any particular reason you don't go the FUE route?

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Tailor2, There is no doubt that H&W are competent,but if you don't like the idea of a scar now you will hate it later.There are more risks to this surgery that are not divulged because it hurts sales. Trust your instincts over your emotions is all I can say. This industry has its hands full with repete customers due to the nature of hairloss(progressive) and repair cases (botched).Don't worry about hurting anyones feelings by backing out.

tailor2

Reaction score
Global, thanks, if I was having a 1000 grafts I would have FUE. But I understand that FUE is not scarless and with large numbers of grafts the donor area can take on a mottled threadbare look. Mahair, thanks also, I am content with the progressive nature of hairloss, but could you please give some more detail of the additional risks?

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Taylor2, The risk that you will get and infection or die is low. The risk that you will not like it is 50/50. There is also the risk of,Shockloss (temporary and permenent) unatural apearance.hair texture difference, hair color difference,Nerve damage,temporary or permenant numbness, increased sensitivity to pain in scalp,pain in donor, brusing,swelling,blackeyes,scar streaching over time,need for repete surgeries,accelerated hairloss all over your head, thinning of donor area,arteriovenus fistula(abnormal reconnection of blood vessles)Future hairloss, unatural balding pattern,limits of donor vs.ultimate hairloss needs. These are for a good transplant the list is longer for a bad one.

G

Tailor there is nothing to worry about.I have just come back from my 2nd procedure with a top surgeon in australia.The scar is so minimal that its just like a pencil line which is undetectable.If i thought it was that bad the first time i wouldnt have gone back for a second.If you want to email me ill show you a before and after pic of my scar.

Rgds
Damo

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Risks

Damien, he is asking about possible risks . To tell him there is NOTHING to worry about is irresponsible . I am glad you are happy with your results. Also you state that if it was that bad you would not have done a second one. If it was that good why did you?Also forgot to mention : limitations in density,scalp tightness,post operative depresion(short or long term),poor growth or x-factor,need to stay on drugs to maintain existing hair which may becme ineffective or have side effects and irreversability ( if you don't like it).

G

Mahair i have spoken via email about the risks involved to him.Im talking about his anxiety in the fear of the procedure there is nothing to worry about.There has been no death from this procedure.The reason i went back is because i wanted to increase my density from my first procedure thats why.Not because i was unhappy with the first one.Im over the moon with my results.I think with all the post people can read about all the pros and cons and decide for themselves about whether its worth doing or not.With the amount of transplants being performed im sure there is more happy patients then not happy patients.I told Tailor if he wants anything answered as in negatives i would be upfront and tell him the risks ie: shockloss,poor growth etc etc.

damo

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Thats true nobody has actually died in the procedure room. But there have been several suicides because of it . More than any other cosmetic surgery .

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
There is an interveiw with Rassman on the bald man and also an article in the website Hairball. A doctor has recentley posted on hairtransplant lawsuits.com in regards to the mental issues a few of his patients have had as a result. .Also realize that the identity of the victims or reason for their untimely end would not be disclosed as to sheild them from further humiliation.This information would undoubtedly not be disclosed by the "industry" as of yet satisfaction, short and long term have not either as it is low and would hurt "sales".

G

Mahair to committ suicide over a hair transplant i can see why if it was a really bad transplant but its still a very extreme thing to do.

Damo

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually havings surgery over hairloss is rather extreme if you think about it.

G

I totally disagree with that comment Mahair.People have cosmetic surgery for nearly everything you can think of these days so why should a Hair transplant be any different.Hairloss is a medical problem that can be fixed today with surgery.You have a very one tracked way of thinking.Ask that same question to the thousands of people that have had successful hair transplants.

Damo

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Damien,

My advice is to let it go. When you've been around the boards, you start to notice personality traits and certain trains of thought with some posters. Some people tend to be excessively negative and focus only on the bad, making statements with little fact but mostly emotion. I'll usually post one or two rounds of argument but then let it go with them. They won't change their attitude and it shouldn't affect your behavior or choices. Best Regards.

G

Dark i agree with you.Ill just let these people go its not worth writing back to them.I just feel for all the happy people out there with hair transplants or the potential sufferes looking for positive advice.

Rgds
Damo