Stopping Propecia.... will shedding be permanent?

bew3994

Reaction score
On propecia for 2 months. Had some minor side effects (tired, acne on back, occassional throb in the breast area). Anyways, thinking about stopping the treatment and have had some shedding while on the medication. If I stop will the hair that I have shed be gone permanently? or will it regrow and return to what it was before being on propecia?

Anyone have experience with quitting the medication and the sheds not being permanent?

Thanks

jeffsss

Reaction score
bew3994 said:
On propecia for 2 months. Had some minor side effects (tired, acne on back, occassional throb in the breast area). Anyways, thinking about stopping the treatment and have had some shedding while on the medication. If I stop will the hair that I have shed be gone permanently? or will it regrow and return to what it was before being on propecia?

Anyone have experience with quitting the medication and the sheds not being permanent?

Thanks

from what i've gathered sheds are permanent..

while some people will tell you that you will get regrowth.. you probabaly wont.

I havent seen too many threads about how their hair grew back...

dont worrry, i'm in the same boat as you.. my hair was pretty damn thick before i started propecia.. but since i saw 10-15 hairs a day fall out in the shower i freaked out and got on propecia..

now i get 30-45 hairs a day.. good move huh?!?

now i dont know if i should stay on or get off.. i'm going in to see a new derm tomorrow to see what he says..

bew3994

Reaction score
now i dont know if i should stay on or get off.. i'm going in to see a new derm tomorrow to see what he says..

my thoughts exactly.... not happy with the product so far. Let me know what the derm tells you

Cassin

Reaction score
jeffsss said:
from what i've gathered sheds are permanent..

while some people will tell you that you will get regrowth.. you probabaly wont.

I havent seen too many threads about how their hair grew back...

What a neat little collection of inaccuracies. I am sure you have a read a handful of bad information but you have yet to read something that was written by a doctor that takes time and effort to read.

That's some bad information your passing.

Read the sticky above............^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm with Cassin.

Take it from someone who's coming out of a horrible shed with new hairs popping up where once there was fuzz: sheds are the rainbow leading to the pot of gold.

Will I ever get my full head of hair back? Maybe, maybe not. But if I can keep this regrowth going a little longer, then I'll be over the moon maintaining what I have.

Stick with it. It works.

bew3994

Reaction score
So you 2 are saying that the regrowth (or back to what it was) will come back after stopping? Or will the sheds be permanent. Couldn't tell from the first poster so now I am confused.

bew3994

Reaction score
Just to add that I have had major itching on the crown of my head since starting Propecia. Never had this before it. Just in general not sure about the medication. Want to ride it out but minor side effects and the shedding is getting to me!!!

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
No, we were just taking issue with Jeffssss dire assessment of the situation.

But if you stop Propecia, you should expect your hair loss to continue.

I think you should stick with it. I had similar side effects for the first couple of months, but they disappeared by the 3rd and 4th month.

jeffsss

Reaction score
well the people that are responding are people who suffered a rogaine shed.

this guy is only on propecia from the looks of it.

I did see a Doctor about sheds and he says it's uncommon.. so take my input for what it's worth..

and i'm defninatly not trying to bad mouth or put bad info on this forum, just stating what i see/hear/read.