stopping propecia - will my old scalp grow back?

Scotty

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm considering quitting on propecia cause the shedding is killing me. in my second shed and I can't stand the thought of having to shed once in a while. Anyway, before I started propecia, my hairline was receding, but atleast by hair, where I had hair, was thick and strong. if I stop Propecia, will my old strong hair grow back and the natural hairloss resume?

Thanks. second question btw, if using propecia, will I always shed once in a while? Cause propecia isnt working for me...

T

Timi

finasteride Only??

or take you minoxidil to finasteride?

Timi

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
How long have you been taking your propecia? Have you noticed any other changes?

If you're still in your first 6 months I'd deffo advise you to do your best to keep at it, although I never experienced any obvious shedding in reaction to taking it, the regrowth - if any - should happen around 8 month + mark.

It's hard to say what will happen when you stop taking it without knowing 100% the mechanism that caused your recent 'shedding'.

Wish you well :)

Kaze

Established Member
Reaction score
Same exact story for me scotty. I had only slight temple loss norwood 1.5 and no diffuse loss. Started rapidly shedding a week into propecia. I stuck with it because everyone says to. However i have stuck iwth it for 9 plus months and my temples and have receded a bit more and my hair is diffuse every where except certain parts in the back.

I think it is due to other androgens combining with the ar receptors instead of dht. This cause a diffuse pattern. Read the shedding post on An explanation for diffuse loss on propecia.

gutted

Reaction score
im also experiencing this and would like to know if after stoppping treatment will make my hair grow back to normal as it would have been had i not started treament?

or have i just kick started male pattern baldness?

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
would also like to know.. Happening to me too

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh man! Always blamed minoxidil for the shedding and maybe it was fina all along.... Honestly I'm scared to mess with my regiment because maybe I just need a couple more months, but on the other hand if it continues at this rate i dont have a couple more months before being forced to buzz my hair...
The funny thing is I'm certain that minoxidil is growing hairs in my temples which have been bald for 5-7 years so it must be working right?
Maybe it's the seb dermatitis (that i developed 2-3 months into the treatment) that is not letting minoxidil get absorbed properly?