stopping minoxidil without shedding

damnthis

Established Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask this in the general forum is that those who stopped using minoxidil probably do not go to the minoxidil-forum.

I had to stop using the minoxidil (2%) due to irritation about two months ago. So far so good no shedding yet.
At first I wanted to start the minoxidil again as soon as my head healed but I still see some redness where the irritation was the worst (right in front of my hairline on the right-side and two small bumps on the back of my head). Also I like not having to apply it every morning and evening. The thing is I started finasteride because minoxidil didn't halt my shedding, which is under control now after a year on propecia (see the link to my story below)

you can read about my minoxidil-irritation-experience here: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=23352

Anyone that can give advice or had a similar experience??

Leirro30

Reaction score
Hey there I had fairly bad sides from minoxidil (dizziness, heart palpitations), so I stopped it Jan. 2005 and started taking Propecia at the same time. I did shed hair after stopping the minoxidil. I must've really over-absorbed it cause it worked quite well for me.

As for the Propecia, it's been a year now and after that shed from stopping the minoxidil, my hair seems to have stabilized. I don't think Propecia has regrown any hair on me or even thickened my existing hair, but it does seemed to have halted or at least slowed to a snail's pace my receding temples.

I am always tempted to restart minoxidil, just the 2% applied only to my temples and only once a day, and only to a dry scalp to avoid absorbing too much of it, but I don't feel like going through the ordeal with the side effects again.