still shedding but hair somehow thicker/better?

souldoctor

Reaction score
hey everyone, just a quick question. im on month 4 of propecia now, and it's weird, my hair's definitely better than it was at say months 2-3 when it thinned out big time due to a shed, but it's really weird, cos i think i'm still shedding, as in i still seem to be losing hair, but my hair's definitely better overall? what does this mean, is propecia working or what, i thought at some stage it's meant to halt hair loss, at least until a shed? it seems to me like there's possibly been regrowth, which seems to be just about counteracting or slightly superceding my hair loss, accounting for the overall improved appearance and feeling of thickness, despite the continued shedding.. anyone else ever experienced or heard of this?

SD

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
it is absolutely normal to shed. everybody sheds. :)

if your hair is better despite shedding that means propecia is doing its job and youre even regrowing. why else would your hair look better despite shedding? make sense?
100 - 150 hair/day = normal :hairy:

if you're losing more then its time to visit a derm. :freaked2:

stick with it..for at least a year and dont be disturbed by the shedding...for all you know every hair you're shedding is growing back thicker n' stronger then ever. :p

best of luck to you.
cheers.

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
im in the exact situation using minoxidil 5% with retin-a 2x a day---we have to remember that its normal to lose hair--and its normal to shed-its just us thinners worry if we continue to lose anymore, there wont be enough left to compensate---were in a similar situation, were losing whats considered a normal amount of hair to lose everyday as opposed to before , its just we have thinner heads of hair. So you cant really call it hair loss in the androgenetic sense of the term...just typical..It also could mean those shitty weak hairs are going bye bye and healthier, new ones are coming in, hence why our hair is looking better-whatever you do, dotn start the hair counting game as that can be very upsetting--been there, done that

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
souldoctor said:
hey everyone, just a quick question. im on month 4 of propecia now, and it's weird, my hair's definitely better than it was at say months 2-3 when it thinned out big time due to a shed, but it's really weird, cos i think i'm still shedding, as in i still seem to be losing hair, but my hair's definitely better overall? what does this mean, is propecia working or what, i thought at some stage it's meant to halt hair loss, at least until a shed? it seems to me like there's possibly been regrowth, which seems to be just about counteracting or slightly superceding my hair loss, accounting for the overall improved appearance and feeling of thickness, despite the continued shedding.. anyone else ever experienced or heard of this?

SD

yes , u can have regroowth while still shedding, the difference now is that the hair comes back thicker and more..If u expereinced it...it is a good sign... my case is the same as yours..no treatment realted shedding....Just the normal shedding i had before taking finasteride and now my vertex had filled in...

souldoctor

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated...nice to know this is considered normal and doesn't mean that propecia is doing nothing!