Stemson is going to use minipigs in the next stage of their hair cloning research

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1610978379574.png

They are kind of cute lol

Take a look at the summary of the job description of the open position at the company they posted 12 days ago:

Description​

Job Summary
A Histotechnician position is available at a visionary startup Stemson Therapeutics Corp. The candidate will report directly to the Vice President of R&D and Preclinical Development and be part of a dynamic research and development team focused on hair follicle restoration using human induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). We seek a passionate histotechnician to assist us in accelerating the pace of our research by performing the critical tasks required for receiving, processing, and preparing human and animal tissue specimens for microscopic examination and analysis. The candidate will conduct histologic characterization of the original iPSC-derived cells and newly formed hair follicles in vivo (mice and minipig) using various techniques including IHC, ICC, and microscopy.

--
Still not humans but at least they are moving forward from mice. They look to be on the right track.

Last edited:

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like all is on track:

Getting a timeline for a clinical trial is a big positive, though I expect there to be a mixed reaction to the news. This would put an estimated time period of January 2021 for the start of Stemson clinical trials.

Unfortunately, the article mentions January 2021 as the start of the clinical trials, but per according to the opening job position (and other info gathered around the last months) they are just about to start pre clinical (animal) studies now. So they are late but at least they are moving to the right direction

So no clinical trials this year. But if Stemson starts full blown pre clinical studies with minipigs in 2021 it would be a pretty big necessary milestone and I would be very happy.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the article mentions January 2021 as the start of the clinical trials, but per according to the opening job position (and other info gathered around the last months) they are just about to start pre clinical (animal) studies now. So they are late but at least they are moving to the right direction

So no clinical trials this year. But if Stemson starts full blown pre clinical studies with minipigs in 2021 it would be a pretty big necessary milestone and I would be very happy.
So they are still behind histogen

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
"Morphologic features of the skin of Bama miniature pigs resemble those of human skin, including skin layer thickness, development of a superficial vascular system, structure of the dermal–epidermal interface, and extracellular matrix. The characteristics and densities of Langerhans cells, fibroblasts, vascular endothelial cells, and mast cells were similar between Bama pig and human skin. Immunohistochemistry showed that miniature pigs and humans have the same antigenic determinants of human laminin, fibronectin, filaggrin, collagen I, collagen III, collagen IV, and keratin but not CD34, ICAM1, or S100. In addition, collagen type I from Bama miniature pig skin exhibited physicochemical characteristics resembling those of human skin, in regard to HPLC chromatography, UV spectroscopy, amino-acid composition, and SDS-PAGE analysis"

One step forward
Regarding hair, our main interest, of all the types of mammals, only the pig shares with primates and humans that the hair is anchored in the deep area of the skin. You only need to compare the split leather of beef and pig to deduce it.
The skin of the cow, horse, sheep, goat, dromedary, etc. they have not holes in the split of the tanned hides. These holes are produced by the hair.
The difference between the pig and the human is that in the first the hair cycles are more synchronized than in us.
Hair penetration  different species.JPG

Last edited:

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This actually seems like huge news since, to my knowledge, this is the first time anything has been attempted on something besides mice. I wonder if this means they've finished tumorigenicity tests in mice (although that didn't seem to really be a problem anyways).

Last edited:

-G-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am sure this will come out within the next five years, however, the more I read about it, the more I am unsure.

Essentially, this will have to be done by a surgeon if I am not mistaken. Thus the implication is a surgeon will need the necessary skills to ensure that grafts/cells are placed in a manner that will yield superior results.

As others have said, no one procedure will be a cure, but rather most likely a combination. The ideal "drug/procedure" would be something that simply restimulates our existing hair.

-G-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i think Stemson or Tsuji will be the best we can have right now, what can reverse balding?

It is simply unlimited hair, which is different than the idea of bring your existing hair back from the dead.

I say different because it is all dependent on the skills of the professional you go to. Perhaps the next stage of hair cloning is being able to get natural density as well.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i have one question - how they create dht resistant hair from blood??? i cant find it anywhere
They haven't said whether the hairs will be DHT resistant. Alexey said in an interview that you might need an operation every 5-10 years but didn't specify whether that'd be because of the cloned hairs not being DHT resistant or because of existing hair continuing to fall out.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
if the research on baldness were well funded, everything would be faster, the bald ones do not want and cannot unite
It is probably as difficult as curing cancer except that curing cancer is a more important achievement than curing baldness. Of course your opinion may differ until you get cancer.

frank33

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cancer has many variants. You can cure one variant of cancer and there are still 9000 variants to go.

Not guaranteed, but it might be a cause, because increased depression from balding can lead to suicide. I myself took an ought that if I ever reach unrecoverable balding status (like NW4 or something) that cannot be fixed, I will perform suicide in order to retain at least some dignity. Rather be dead than roam earth as a bald zombie.
Man if it's really that important to you there's always hair systems: costly, and needing maintenaince, but, if done right, they are unspottable.

Btw i sincerely hope you'll keep your hair :)